GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pick up mine tomorrow! Tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 05:42 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pick up mine tomorrow! Tire question.

Picking up my GS AWD, Meteor Blue, Luxury, tomorrow. It seems they come with the Dunlop SP Sport 5100 tires. Saw some negative posts, are they really that bad? Thinking of going straight to the tire dealer and trading for some Michelin MXV4's based on these comments.

Pete
Old 01-30-13, 05:50 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

My luxury AWD has the MXM Michelins.
Old 01-30-13, 05:58 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
My luxury AWD has the MXM Michelins.
Good news! I hope thats what I get. They are bringing mine in from Indiana so I'll know tomorrow. I asked they switch them out, but it seems all on the lot have Dunlops.
Old 01-30-13, 05:59 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Which Superior are you getting it from? Hopefully it has the Michelins.
Old 01-30-13, 06:06 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ESsearch
Picking up my GS AWD, Meteor Blue, Luxury, tomorrow. It seems they come with the Dunlop SP Sport 5100 tires. Saw some negative posts, are they really that bad? Thinking of going straight to the tire dealer and trading for some Michelin MXV4's based on these comments.

Pete
don't do that.
Old 01-30-13, 06:08 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have already signed your deal it might be tough to get them to have Michelins installed by the dealer. But if the car is not even there yet you (as I was a couple of months ago) may be worried for nothing. I looked at a lot of new Lexus and it appeared to me that over 50% of them arrived with Michelins. If it does not have Michelins you can do your best to be a little uncooperative if they won't change the tires and see if it helps. Not having another car on the lot with Michelins does complicate the deal. Without going back to your post did you say the car was coming in tomorrow? If so they may be anxious to get it delivered before the end of the month and if you even say you are going to wait a couple of days to check out some tire deals they may take you a little more seriously. Some dealers are really easy to deal with on tire changes and others are just impossible. And we all know that they have plenty or CPO cars that they could put your takeoffs on.

And yes, if everything else fails I would drive right down to your favorite tire dealer and make the best deal you can. I to think the Michelins are that good. Mine did arrive with Michelins and all was good but that was my plan if it came to that.

Good Luck.

Dave Mac
Old 01-30-13, 06:49 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Which Superior are you getting it from? Hopefully it has the Michelins.
Getting it from the North store as I live in Gladstone.
Old 01-30-13, 06:54 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
If you have already signed your deal it might be tough to get them to have Michelins installed by the dealer. But if the car is not even there yet you (as I was a couple of months ago) may be worried for nothing. I looked at a lot of new Lexus and it appeared to me that over 50% of them arrived with Michelins. If it does not have Michelins you can do your best to be a little uncooperative if they won't change the tires and see if it helps. Not having another car on the lot with Michelins does complicate the deal. Without going back to your post did you say the car was coming in tomorrow? If so they may be anxious to get it delivered before the end of the month and if you even say you are going to wait a couple of days to check out some tire deals they may take you a little more seriously. Some dealers are really easy to deal with on tire changes and others are just impossible. And we all know that they have plenty or CPO cars that they could put your takeoffs on.

And yes, if everything else fails I would drive right down to your favorite tire dealer and make the best deal you can. I to think the Michelins are that good. Mine did arrive with Michelins and all was good but that was my plan if it came to that.

Good Luck.

Dave Mac
Thanks for the replies. They definitely want it on their January sales, so that will help. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I get the Michelins.
Old 01-30-13, 06:55 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats, what interior are you getting? Light grey?
Old 01-30-13, 07:31 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Congrats, what interior are you getting? Light grey?
I strongly considered light gray but I'm going with black. My last car (ES350) was light gray and my wifes CT is as well. Needed to change it up!
Old 01-30-13, 08:13 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Some claim that the Michellins are a lot more comfortable. I dont know how much more but from my experience they way outlast the Dunlops. Mine came with 235/45/18 Dunlop. I recently got 235/55/18 Michellin MXV4 Energy for the Rx. I know they are different vehicles but I feel the GS with the Dunlop is just fine and smooth. I sometimes switch to S+ to feel the road more. The bottom line is IMO I dont think it should be a deal breaker for you or you need to swap the tires out right away. You will enjoy the vehicle regardless which tires it comes with. If it's too rough for you, you can always change later. Maybe you want a bigger set of wheels later? Congrats and welcome to the family!
Old 01-30-13, 08:25 PM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the car
Old 01-30-13, 08:26 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Some claim that the Michellins are a lot more comfortable. I dont know how much more but from my experience they way outlast the Dunlops. Mine came with 235/45/18 Dunlop. I recently got 235/55/18 Michellin MXV4 Energy for the Rx. I know they are different vehicles but I feel the GS with the Dunlop is just fine and smooth. I sometimes switch to S+ to feel the road more. The bottom line is IMO I dont think it should be a deal breaker for you or you need to swap the tires out right away. You will enjoy the vehicle regardless which tires it comes with. If it's too rough for you, you can always change later. Maybe you want a bigger set of wheels later? Congrats and welcome to the family!
Thanks for passing along your experience. I'll definitely keep it mind.
Old 01-30-13, 08:43 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

I had the Michelin's on my GS nonF-sport and they were great a d provided a very good, hassle free ride. Had a loaner with Dunlops and they were horrible until they warmed up, live in a cold climate.

You will certainly get the Michelin's if you have the cold weather package, most of those cars have Michelin's.

I truly hated the Bridgestone's on the F-sport.
Old 01-31-13, 05:16 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dochusar
I had the Michelin's on my GS nonF-sport and they were great a d provided a very good, hassle free ride. Had a loaner with Dunlops and they were horrible until they warmed up, live in a cold climate.

You will certainly get the Michelin's if you have the cold weather package, most of those cars have Michelin's.

I truly hated the Bridgestone's on the F-sport.
I have the Cold Weather Package and my vehicle was equipped with the Dunlops.

Quick Reply: Pick up mine tomorrow! Tire question.