GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 02:36 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plastidip is an awesome product! I used it on my BWM 328i and it was great. I ended up blacking out the 328i badge on the back, the front kidney grills (it had a chrome frame on it), and the window frames. Here are a couple of tips for it:

1) Make sure you take the time to clean all off the areas you are spraying thoroughly and allow it time to dry. I took great time and care on my 328i badge and it was great. I got a bit lazy on the kidney grills but because of the shape, you couldn't see the imperfections so I got away with it. The window frame on the on the other hand, I started running out of day light and I had to do a rush job. It'd didn't come out as nicely. So take your time, start early in the day (not an issue if you are spraying indoors), and clean the area well to make sure you get rid of dirt, grease, etc.

2) Try to do it on a warmer, dry day. It allows the spray to dry properly and you want to let it dry in between coats.

3) As the OP and others have stated, if you are trying to make a cut line using tape, make sure you pull the tape up on the last coat WHILE it is still wet. Do not let it dry and then pull up on the tape because the tape will pull the rest of the sprayed area up ruining all of your hard work.

4) Make sure you put down enough coats. The thicker the material is, the easier it will be to pull off the over spray area and get a nice clean cut on edges.

DipYourCar's videos on YouTube are a GREAT source of DIY information. Fonzi does a great job of going through everything step by step, especially his older videos that cover the basics and spray can application.

I'll be doing the badges on my Nebula Gray GS this weekend (hopefully) and I'll post some pics of that when I'm done. Rear badges are easy, front grill trim and bumper is a bit more difficult, and the window frame is the most difficult out of these three areas. The difficult is not so much in the spraying but in the masking. Masking off the windows took me a long time last time I did it because of the side view mirror (which was window mounted, not door mounted) and because of the rubber seal that is there for the windows. Go through DipYourCar's videos thoroughly, these should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWS9-lTfd30 Plastidip Tesla Model S Window Trim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdj4mlDC_g Plastidip 2012 Nissan Altima Window Trim
Old 01-01-15, 05:47 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

My bumper has the clear bra installed. Can i still black out my front bumper without removing my clear bra? Will plasitdip ruin clear bra when I decide to take off plastidip?
Old 01-01-15, 12:34 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be good to go. Clearbra wont be affected by Plastidip.
Old 01-02-15, 12:11 AM
sandyeggo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, where in san diego are you?
Old 04-22-15, 06:38 AM
Kc62727497
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1101GS
What did you use to cover up the holes from the license plate? Look nice and clean. I thought you had two extra sensors!
Looks good! I want to dip my grill since its gray.

I want to dip my grill black since its gray.

What to dip my grill.
Old 04-23-15, 10:19 AM
Triguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Salt

Everyone that is posting is from warm weather states. I wonder how this product holds up in the cold weather states where salt is everywhere for four months? Has anyone used it besides the south?
Old 04-23-15, 11:16 AM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have pictures of a Nebula Gray (preferably F Sport) with portions of the car plasti-dipped? I love the idea of this and if I had a white GS I'd do it in a second but I'm curious how it would look with a Nebula exterior. I was thinking of just doing the rear badges but if the front end looks good I'd love to do that as well.
Old 05-09-15, 02:15 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
How noticeable is the paint line to the left in this pic? Is it raised?
Old 06-10-15, 03:04 PM
hxcman56
Driver School Candidate

anybody brave enough to do the entire car?. Im planning on it when i get the f sport conversion done this month. i have a black gs and was planning on dipping the whole car white for a while?
Old 06-10-15, 03:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems

Originally Posted by hxcman56
anybody brave enough to do the entire car?. Im planning on it when i get the f sport conversion done this month. i have a black gs and was planning on dipping the whole car white for a while?
I say hell no. Unless you're finishing with a glossifier then I say hell yes lol. Pearl dips look excellent. Exhibit A:
Attached Thumbnails Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems-photo969.jpg  
Old 06-10-15, 03:34 PM
hxcman56
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
I say hell no. Unless you're finishing with a glossifier then I say hell yes lol. Pearl dips look excellent. Exhibit A:
After i do the rc22 wheels and the coils and f sport conversion ill post a pic of the before and after. thing i love so much about it is its not permanent so if i dont like it i can just yank it off whenever
Old 06-11-15, 08:15 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that looks good
Old 06-12-15, 07:37 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

look nice. good job
Old 06-27-15, 10:42 PM
navleu
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if you been ask this already, but did you plastidip the grill too or just the bumper?
Old 07-28-15, 09:42 AM
fhan888
Driver

One question. The video shows he did all the coats in one shot. If you were to do multiple coats how many would you do and how long between coats?

Quick Reply: Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems