GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 02:04 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
I love that drive way, show us more of your home.

This makes me think I should have gotten white. Looks great!
Black looks amazing it is just so dang hard to keep clean and swirl free!
Old 01-28-13, 02:20 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Here is a better pic, the sun just came out! Also I didn't mention it in title and I am sure you noticed but I did also do the chrome trim around the front grill.
That looks great (and the driveway and the view too). You must have steady hands. I thought about doing the trims around the windows too but not confident enough to spray. If it's peelable, maybe I will try the front first. Just wondering, does it not have any effect on the sensors?
Old 01-28-13, 02:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Just wondering, does it not have any effect on the sensors?
He said earlier that they did. I'm shocked that they do still work honestly:
Side note: I sprayed it right over the parking sensors and they work great with no problems. Not sure how but they still work.
Old 01-28-13, 02:29 PM
1111GS

That's interesting but now that I think about it, it is covered with paint already, so if you paint again, it should still work. Maybe it works like the stud finders.
Old 01-28-13, 02:59 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
That looks great (and the driveway and the view too). You must have steady hands. I thought about doing the trims around the windows too but not confident enough to spray. If it's peelable, maybe I will try the front first. Just wondering, does it not have any effect on the sensors?
Yeah I really don't have a steady hand, everything was masked off. I should off taken a picture of that too i guess. The funny thing about plasti is you don't mask right up to where you want to paint (except on a straight edge, then you take the tape off right after you spray so it doesn't bond to the tape and mess up your edge). So i had like an inch high black line on my hood after and I simply picked the edge and started pulling and bam its gone. Its actually better to have more overspray then less because it will create a nice bond and it is way easier to pull off.
Old 01-28-13, 03:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the sun pic shows how well the dipped pieces blend with the black HL housing, and the garnish where the fogs would go.
Old 01-28-13, 03:36 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone want to venture in using plastidip as a sound insulator? You can create a tiny barrier between the doors and door panel. It won't so much maybe but it could possibly help reduce squeeks.

Can you take a closer pix of the bumper? I'd like to see the lines and texture. Thanks.
Old 01-28-13, 03:36 PM
1111GS

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
the sun pic shows how well the dipped pieces blend with the black HL housing, and the garnish where the fogs would go.
You brought up a good point... If I black out the front, I may have to black out the housing for the fogs too. I don't know how that will look.
Black looks amazing it is just so dang hard to keep clean and swirl free!
This guy is being honest
Yeah I really don't have a steady hand, everything was masked off. I should off taken a picture of that too i guess. The funny thing about plasti is you don't mask right up to where you want to paint (except on a straight edge, then you take the tape off right after you spray so it doesn't bond to the tape and mess up your edge). So i had like an inch high black line on my hood after and I simply picked the edge and started pulling and bam its gone. Its actually better to have more overspray then less because it will create a nice bond and it is way easier to pull off.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-28-13, 03:37 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

What was the drying time on the bumper?
Old 01-28-13, 03:46 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quick question - Did you remove the front grill to paint over the chrome surround or just tape and spray?
Old 01-28-13, 05:30 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to plasti dip the whole front 1/4 of the car for my trip to daytona, it will come right off when I am done
Old 01-28-13, 05:33 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexson
I am going to plasti dip the whole front 1/4 of the car for my trip to daytona, it will come right off when I am done
If your trying to protect your front bumper for road trips, your better off using painters tape. Much easier to put on and take off compared to plasti dip. Take a look

Plus it holds up pretty well
Old 01-28-13, 07:15 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stick22
so people say that you can just peel that off if you didn't like it. if it is that easy to take off, how durable is it on a day to day? would you need to retouch every few weeks?
Yeah i love plasti dip. The more coats you put on the easier it will be to peel off. I have had some on my front bumper for months and it hasnt been affected at all. It has been through multiple washes and interstate trips and looks new.
Looks great on that GS btw. Did you cover the parking sensors??
Old 01-28-13, 08:26 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob4256
If your trying to protect your front bumper for road trips, your better off using painters tape. Much easier to put on and take off compared to plasti dip. Take a look

Plus it holds up pretty well
That's a nice matte blue. I wouldn't mind rocking that with some fresh rims lol.
Old 01-28-13, 10:46 PM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the front upper grill painted too? I'm wondering if I should paint it black...

Quick Reply: Just plastidipped my front bumper and rear emblems