GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Best $10 investment

Old 01-27-13, 06:33 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SKA430
Oh I have been looking for the manual procedure you are talking about to turn off the chime. I always wear my seat belt but I like to back out of the garage and put on after I start driving down the drive way first. I used the sticky on the 3GS pages to turn mine off in my last 2 older GS's but have not known how to do it on the 4GS.
Is there a way?
Anyone?
Old 01-27-13, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Agreed, just like the purchase of a fast accelerating and cornering car like the GS is a personal choice. I mean no one here purchased a GS with the intent to drive it cautiously and conservatively for maximum safety. They bought one to experience the thrill of inherent danger of spirited driving. So the dudes here really have no business lecturing you about maximum safety.
Um, the GS is not a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Most GS's will never be driven over 85 MPH. Its a midsized luxury sport sedan, and they are everywhere. Mine never has been.

Sorry, but not wearing a seatbelt is senseless stupidity. I would be remiss in my responsibilities as a human being if I didn't point that out.

Just imagine how your family and friends would feel if you were in an accident, died, and would have been alive had you simply worn your seat belt. Do you have kids? Remember that they learn from watching you. If you're too cool to wear a seat belt, when its them driving they won't either.
Old 01-27-13, 08:38 AM
stick22
Driver

listen buddy, i know we can not change your mind into wearing a seatbelt but can we at least get you to be an organ donor?
Old 01-27-13, 09:07 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Lots of nannies on this thread!!

FYI, I seldom wear my set belt when driving my truck or wife's Lexus.... but always buckle up when driving the Porsche GT3.

Right or wrong..... it's my choice and directly my consequence to bear.

And yes I carry a signed organ donor card!
Old 01-27-13, 09:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Right or wrong..... it's my choice and directly my consequence to bear.
But its not really your consequence to bear. You'll be dead...you're not going to care. Do you live in a vacuum, where nobody elses lives are impacted by the decisions you make with yours? What about your wife and family? Do you think they want you alive?

And IMHO there are worse things than being dead. What if you are injured to the point that you require total care for the next however many decades of your life? What about the impact of that on you and your family?

I suppose what I don't understand is why. Why put yourself at that risk for absolutely no reward. I mean...go Skydiving or bungee jumping or car racing, at least that you get a thrill or it makes you feel alive...what does not wearing a seatbelt do for you?

"My husband died because somebody ran a stop sign and he thought he was too cool to wear a seatbelt"; or "My husband is a quadriplegic because he refused to wear a seatbelt, and now instead of enjoying our lives together I have to empty his colostomy bag."

Its the ultimate pointless irresponsibility. You only get one life...to do something as simple as bucking a seatbelt understanding the huge impact it has on your ability to survive a car accident...something that the likelihood of you being in is incredibly high seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 01-27-13, 09:27 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Its amazing how they act like the OP is like 16 yr old, he fully understands the danger level goes up, w/o all the lecturing, swearing at him. I'm in my early 50's and never had a puff of ciggarette or any tobbaco product in my life, but I bet many of you smoke or have smoked previously....increase Health Risk ? I'm no big religious person by any means but I totally attest to people who make swearing part of their everyday vocab, I just avoid those people but not going to try and change their language behavior because I do things different. To the Op ,as mentioned dont bring up seatbelts again, or you will be sent to the corner.
Old 01-27-13, 09:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Um, the GS is not a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Most GS's will never be driven over 85 MPH. Its a midsized luxury sport sedan, and they are everywhere. Mine never has been.

Sorry, but not wearing a seatbelt is senseless stupidity. I would be remiss in my responsibilities as a human being if I didn't point that out.

Just imagine how your family and friends would feel if you were in an accident, died, and would have been alive had you simply worn your seat belt. Do you have kids? Remember that they learn from watching you. If you're too cool to wear a seat belt, when its them driving they won't either.
This X 100000.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that its safe or wise to do them. Not wearing seat-belts falls into this category.
Old 01-27-13, 09:35 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
But its not really your consequence to bear. You'll be dead...you're not going to care. Do you live in a vacuum, where nobody elses lives are impacted by the decisions you make with yours? What about your wife and family? Do you think they want you alive?

And IMHO there are worse things than being dead. What if you are injured to the point that you require total care for the next however many decades of your life? What about the impact of that on you and your family?

I suppose what I don't understand is why. Why put yourself at that risk for absolutely no reward. I mean...go Skydiving or bungee jumping or car racing, at least that you get a thrill or it makes you feel alive...what does not wearing a seatbelt do for you?

"My husband died because somebody ran a stop sign and he thought he was too cool to wear a seatbelt"; or "My husband is a quadriplegic because he refused to wear a seatbelt, and now instead of enjoying our lives together I have to empty his colostomy bag."

Its the ultimate pointless irresponsibility. You only get one life...to do something as simple as bucking a seatbelt understanding the huge impact it has on your ability to survive a car accident...something that the likelihood of you being in is incredibly high seems like a no brainer to me.
Thanks for sharing that Steve, my heartstrings have been truly tugged, and my moral compass fully re-aligned.....

I guess it's OK to live your life attempting to dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's"...

Meanwhile fate may chose an entirely different hand for you... and then what will you... or your family do??

Again, it's my choice/consequence to bear.
Old 01-27-13, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I guess it's OK to live your life attempting to dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's"...
So now you somehow live a richer life than me because I'm some guy "dotting the I's and crossing the t's". Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't make you a daredevil.

I don't live my life worried about whats going to come around the corner, not taking risks because of what might happen to me. I live my life to its fullest, because I know all to well how short life is. We can all die at any moment, but that doesn't mean we should all go out and play russian roulette.

I don't do senseless, stupid things that will endanger my life for no reward. I wear a seatbelt. I wouldn't for instance have sex with someone who I knew had AIDS. At least the sex would have some reward! What is the reward for not wearing a seatbelt?

Again, it's my choice/consequence to bear.
Life I said to the OP, I'm glad I'm not someone who is unfortunate enough to depend on you. I have people that count on me, need me to be alive, and I want to be alive to be with them. So...I wear my seatbelt because thats what grown ups do.

If you truly do live your life in a vacuum, fine, but don't kid yourself that the consequences are only yours.
Old 01-27-13, 10:25 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

A smart man once said: "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

sooo in that light Steve.... you win!!
Old 01-27-13, 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right...I'm the fool...got it.
Old 01-27-13, 01:09 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
A smart man once said: "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

sooo in that light Steve.... you win!!
It's more like:

"Never argue with an idiot because they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

That said, Steve and others should stop replying to your replies and let you win. It's obvious your level of unreasonable thought and discussion will never change, and that's what's really sad. I hope some day your level of maturity will raise so you may some day understand how selfish you come across.
Old 01-27-13, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I'm done. I'm not going to change anybody's minds here, I just do not understand how someone could be so irresponsible. I'm just not capable of such thinking I suppose.
Old 01-27-13, 02:25 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoever mentioned the fact that it affects all of us is 100% on point. When people are irresponsible and DONT wear the belt, and they get into a bad wreck and cost the insurance big $$$, EVERYONE pays. Progressive gave me the BS line for increasing my rates because 'data shows that more drivers in Florida are getting into accidents'.

Sorry OP, but your carelessness not only affects yourself, but your family and everyone else here. You might not value your own life that much, but at least respect the fact that others have to suffer because of your actions if you're ever in an accident.
Old 01-27-13, 03:26 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Agreed, just like the purchase of a fast accelerating and cornering car like the GS is a personal choice. I mean no one here purchased a GS with the intent to drive it cautiously and conservatively for maximum safety. They bought one to experience the thrill of inherent danger of spirited driving. So the dudes here really have no business lecturing you about maximum safety.
Then I may be the exception. I am the father of two and never bought my car with the intent to "experience the thrill of inherent danger of spirited driving". I'm driving the car the same as I did my 2002 Civic, and significantly safer than my 2001 IS300. If I break the speed limit, it's not by much and to pass. I also don't take corners at high speeds.

I have two children, my wife (and not to mention my parents, cousins and work colleagues) either invested in me, or directly depending on me. I'm not going to increase my chances of throwing my life away with "spirited" driving.

I was going to stay away from commenting on this thread... but please please wear a seatbelt. The time to put on a seatbelt is peanuts, and the argument about parking lots and backing up are a bit silly (imo). Taking 3 seconds to put on a seatbelt when you get in vs 2 minutes later doesn't make a difference.

Also, keep in mind that you're not the only person on the road. Others can crash into you. I, for one, keep my seatbelt on even if I'm parallel parked (I had a high school teacher who suffered from chronic back problems. He was rear-ended while sitting in a cop-car and giving a statement about a crime he had witnessed). Who knows what others are paying attention to while they're driving down the street.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best $10 investment