GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

LED Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 12:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
I went with the Cree LED for reverse on my 4GS but the light pattern output and the cree projector won't do any good. The reason because the socket of the reverse lights housing was design for halogen bulbs (sit higher closer to the edge not in the middle of housing) and using the reflector housing to spread out the light. When you mount the CREE LED it won't sit in the middle of the housing therefore the cree projector will project the light into the edge of the housing.

Bottom line LED in reverse won't give any good light output for reverse then I had no choice but HID. So far the kit warm up within 5 seconds and give me enough light output and no melting/heat issue. By the time all the notification messages on the 4GS's navigation screen disappear, the hid give enough lights output.

If using the Cree LED make sure you guys tape/secure it to the socket using electric tape otherwise it will come lose due to heavy bigger bulbs, vibration and trunk slamming down.

On my other car, Cree LED reverse sit in the middle of housing and the output are bright enough.
Thanks for the insight. Do you think you can take a pic of the reverse lights shining on a wall so we can see how bright they are?
Old 01-15-13, 02:22 PM
Vizzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronfsp
HID generates more heat. Dunno if there is any long term effect on the plastic covers on the rear light cover...
my buddy had a 35w HID kit for his reverse lights and he had some sort of wiring problem and the lights stayed on for too long and the tail light started to melt. bu that was due to wiring problems you should have any problems with normal use

I went with the Cree LED for reverse on my 4GS but the light pattern output and the cree projector won't do any good. The reason because the socket of the reverse lights housing was design for halogen bulbs (sit higher closer to the edge not in the middle of housing) and using the reflector housing to spread out the light. When you mount the CREE LED it won't sit in the middle of the housing therefore the cree projector will project the light into the edge of the housing.

Bottom line LED in reverse won't give any good light output for reverse then I had no choice but HID. So far the kit warm up within 5 seconds and give me enough light output and no melting/heat issue. By the time all the notification messages on the 4GS's navigation screen disappear, the hid give enough lights output.

If using the Cree LED make sure you guys tape/secure it to the socket using electric tape otherwise it will come lose due to heavy bigger bulbs, vibration and trunk slamming down.

On my other car, Cree LED reverse sit in the middle of housing and the output are bright enough.
where id you find the 15w kit? also did they make it in 921 bulb size? also did you run any type of custom harness to support the kit?

because when i had 35w HID on my TL i had to run a custom harness so i wouldnt melt the stockin wiring harness
Old 01-15-13, 02:24 PM
Vizzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yardie876
Thanks for the insight. Do you think you can take a pic of the reverse lights shining on a wall so we can see how bright they are?
wall pics for how intense the output is and also pictures of the lights on in a open area so we can see the spread of the output
Old 01-15-13, 07:25 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use 15W HID kit order from ebay with stock wiring. I did test leave the reverse on for 15 minutes and have no issue with melting or wiring problem. They did make the 15W HID kit with shorter HID bulbs and 3 different mounting base so you can use 921 base for reverse without any problem. The ballast is smaller than 35W Kit and hidden well inside trunk liner.
Old 01-15-13, 07:29 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Default Reverse HID

I use a camera mount on tripod with manual mode for same speed & aperture.

The first one is parking lights on
Second one is parking lights on + reverse lights on.
Third one is parking lights on + reverse lights on + stop lights on.
Attached Thumbnails LED Reverse Lights-img_0109.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0110.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0111.jpg  
Old 01-15-13, 07:34 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Some more:

1st pix: parking lights on
2nd pix: parking + reverse + stop lights on.

Upgrade 24 LED panel for trunk and 6 inches LED strip for foot wells.
Attached Thumbnails LED Reverse Lights-img_0112.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0114.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0116.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0117.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0118.jpg  

Old 01-15-13, 07:38 PM
SoCal1984
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some more:

Great pics.
Old 01-15-13, 07:55 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Geez thats bright! Sorry for my ignorance but what were the steps you took to hook up the ballasts? I'm definitely considering this mod now.
Old 01-15-13, 08:33 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Some more:

Hey you got a pic of the LED bulb you used for the trunk and the side doors and where you purchased them. Also got a pic of the door light cover taken off. I thought those were LED's in there already. Yes that reverse light is bright.
Old 01-15-13, 11:12 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
Geez thats bright! Sorry for my ignorance but what were the steps you took to hook up the ballasts? I'm definitely considering this mod now.
This is the 15W HID Kit that use in my car and connect to stock wire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-15...e9b296&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-Reverse-...1ce26c&vxp=mtr

Step to replace:

Remove the trunk liner.

There are plenty space to mount the ballast by double side tape or screw it inside (there holes ready inside the trunk). I use both screw and double side tape so it won't rattle when you slam down the trunk or crank up the volume.

Zip tie all the wire so it won't rattle.

The HID kit come with 3 base. you only use T10 to fit to reverse lights socket.

Turn the reverse on for 10 -15 minutes to check everything working correctly and no heat issue to the housing.

Enjoy the ride.

If you concern about the warm up for HID, within first 5 second it will give you 80% light output, another 3 second will give 100% output. And even within the first 5 second, I found the light output is greater than any Cree LED on the market for now.

Make sure it is 15W Kit not 35W. You'll get to wiring and heat problem with 35W Kit.
Old 01-15-13, 11:44 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Hey you got a pic of the LED bulb you used for the trunk and the side doors and where you purchased them. Also got a pic of the door light cover taken off. I thought those were LED's in there already. Yes that reverse light is bright.
The door lights with LED:
Attached Thumbnails LED Reverse Lights-img_0119.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0123.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0125.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0126.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0127.jpg  

Old 01-15-13, 11:47 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

LED panel for door step, sun visor, trunk. I use 2 LED panel for trunk and 1 for other.

3rd pic showing 2 LED panel can be connect together for trunk light.

Glue stick will help keeping the LED panel/socket intact and avoid rattle.
Attached Thumbnails LED Reverse Lights-img_0130.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0131.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0132.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0133.jpg   LED Reverse Lights-img_0129.jpg  

Last edited by onexcite; 01-15-13 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-15-13, 11:57 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

This is where I get them, make sure you get 5050 SMD LED panel. 5050 is the brightest one ( 3 tiny chip LED in each small LED so 12 LED panel will have 36 LED). They come in 12 & 15 LED on each panel. I use 12 for visor & 15 for door step. You can order bigger LED panel (36 or 48 LED) for trunk light so you won't have to joint to panel together

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-12-SMD...item20c72ce739
Old 01-16-13, 12:25 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work on the door lights! I wonder if you can tint them a little to hide the led... probably won't notice them anyways.

Let us know if you later encounter any rattles from the Ballast. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-13, 06:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

LED panel for door step, sun visor, trunk. I use 2 LED panel for trunk and 1 for other.

3rd pic showing 2 LED panel can be connect together for trunk light.

Glue stick will help keeping the LED panel/socket intact and avoid rattle.
Thanks, I'm guessing the sun visor is the same as the 3rd gen GS to take off.

Quick Reply: LED Reverse Lights