GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why are the car technology systems so poor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 08:53 AM
Push
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't you just voice in a destination?? I personally don't like how cars today are just focusing on technology... They need to get back to the basics with ride quality and it has to be fun to drive...

After a long hard day at work, I don't want to jump in my car and deal with more business.. Once I enter the driver seat, its either a nice relaxing ride home, or time to attack some corners at night.
Old 01-09-13, 08:59 AM
wayner
Rookie

My daily commute is about 30-40 mins each way in congested traffic doing 40km/h . Very rarely do I get to "open 'er up" so I may as well keep myself entertained on the ride. And that entertainment will include listening to sat radio or my iPod. And I will likely call my wife to say I am on my way and do you need me to pick up anything. For those last two functions the technology comes into play.
Old 01-09-13, 09:19 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
I am guessing that this will happen in the future, just like this Oven with an integrated Android tablet:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/d...oven-hands-on/

You already have these integration problems today at a lower level which is why functions like the Reply email function doesn't work. Is that Lexus'f fault? Or is it Apple/Google/RIM's fault? Currently they are half-in when it comes to integration with a smartphone, what I am suggestng is that they be all-in.
If the Bluetooth stack implementation on your phone has the Message Access Profile enabled, your GS should be able to receive and reply to emails and text messages. Others have reported that they have been able to get this to work on Android. MAP is disabled on IOS - go figure.

Check this thread for details. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ages-back.html
Old 01-09-13, 09:20 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Why can't you compare thge two?
Again why not just take a regular iPad, or Android tablet, and integrate it into the car? Isn't that easier for the car makers as they only have to deal with developing an API between the car and the tablet, they don't have to develop everything else.
We already have enough problem with people driving/texting and social media through the smartphone. You really think it's practical to make something like iPad/iPhone plug and play with the car? Would you want the guy behind you driving an SUV/truck with a plugged in iPad? Definitely not me. When I see people with phone in their hand, I drive away from them.
Old 01-09-13, 09:23 AM
wayner
Rookie

What I mean is that instead of having the car's Nav/electronic system, you would mount an iPad into the dash that would replace the current system. It really wouldn't be any different than what we have today. And ideally it would be easy to change so when the next iPad comes out you can upgrade.
Old 01-09-13, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Why can't you compare thge two?
Its just a comparison of apples and oranges. They don't compare themselves to consumer electronics, they compare themselves to the technology packages in competitors vehicles.

What I mean is that instead of having the car's Nav/electronic system, you would mount an iPad into the dash that would replace the current system. It really wouldn't be any different than what we have today. And ideally it would be easy to change so when the next iPad comes out you can upgrade.
That makes you have to buy an iPad, and makes you use an iPad over other alternatives in the marketplace. Lexus has to team with Apple to develop it (which Apple doesn't do well).

I would have no interest in having an iPad in my car.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-09-13 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 12:45 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

• Song and artist names for now playing songs are truncated rather wrapped or displayed in a larger window.
Last summer I rented a Lincoln which had the Microsoft Sync system and it wasn't much better.
They still haven't updated the receiver to do 32 characters yet for XM? That's crazy.
Old 01-09-13, 12:55 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why they have to wasting their $$$ and time to improve/upgrade these tech features while they still can sell it without doing anything?

The only ANSWER for this to car manufacture: STOP buying their car and they will listen to what you guys want and make some improvement.
Old 01-09-13, 05:26 PM
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2012 Acura TL, and found the tech features to be miles ahead of my 2013 GS F Sport. Features, UI and overall execution were in another league. In truth, I also preferred the leather interior in the TL. Overall however the GS F is a superior car.
Old 01-09-13, 07:39 PM
wla1mjd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JPC65
There is a thread which addresses your back up camera issue. The gist is the ability to disable those messages exists. Do the following (copied this from the thread):

Menu -> Setup -> Phone Display Settings

Display Phonebook Transfer Status: Off
Display Call History Transfer Status: Off

Menu -> Setup -> Bluetooth -> Detailed Bluetooth Settings

Display Phone Status: Off
Display Portable Player Status: Off
This is the most helpful post of the month by far!!! I hate those notifications while I am trying to reverse. Gonna change them first thing in the morning! Thank you!
Old 01-10-15, 01:56 PM
wayner
Rookie

So I did something about my disappointment in the dashboard technology of my 2013 GS350 - I traded it in for a Tesla Model S P85D. The dashboard technology is about two orders of magnitude beyond what my GS350 had - but the car did cost twice as much. But my wife's car is a 2013 RX450h so I still have a Lexus in the family.

On this topic in general it looks like there is finally some movement on improving dashboard technology beyond something that wouldn't have looked too out of place on a Commodore 64.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto seem to be gaining traction - this year's CES seemed to have a lot on the connected car.
Old 01-10-15, 02:31 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

What we all want is a better operating system, IOS or android. Those companies are WAY ahead of the Denso(?) OS we have now. Apple doesn't make cars, Lexus doesn't make OS's. It would be great if Lexus made a phone call to Cupertino and said hey about you guys write us an OS.
Old 01-10-15, 02:42 PM
wayner
Rookie

Put a lightning port so that you can snap an iPad or iPad mini into the dash. Then have Toyota/Lexus create the interface for the car stuff like climate, back up cam, media, etc so that can be done on the iPad as well. You probably don't need Nav since Waze is much better at that anyway. But then you need LTE capability on the device. And Siri gives you the voice control.

But that also takes away profit margin - don't they still charge several thou for the Nav systems? A fully loaded iPad is under $1000 with a ton of storage.
Old 01-10-15, 02:43 PM
wayner
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeller
Those companies are WAY ahead of the Denso(?)
How may world class software companies have come out of Japan? Maybe Nintendo is partially software but they have also fallen behind.
Old 01-10-15, 03:01 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So I did something about my disappointment in the dashboard technology of my 2013 GS350 - I traded it in for a Tesla Model S P85D. The dashboard technology is about two orders of magnitude beyond what my GS350 had - but the car did cost twice as much. But my wife's car is a 2013 RX450h so I still have a Lexus in the family.

On this topic in general it looks like there is finally some movement on improving dashboard technology beyond something that wouldn't have looked too out of place on a Commodore 64.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto seem to be gaining traction - this year's CES seemed to have a lot on the connected car.
Congrats on the Tesla, I think that car is probably suited best towards what you're looking for as far as tech goes.

Quick Reply: Why are the car technology systems so poor?