GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Voice command to suspend guidance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 04:06 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with your points. Although the GS 13 is a fantastic car, some of the decisions they made in designing/configuring these cars were unbelievably stupid.

The whole voice command system is very disappointing...a step BACKWARDS. No Suspend/resume guidance is a HUGE disappointment.

Another annoyance is that things like LKA have to be turned each time you start the car, instead of letting the driver set the default that they prefer - like ON by default.

I hope you're right about these things being fixed in a firmware upgrade, but I'm not holding my breath. My iPhone has been getting updates for years at NO extra cost, and it cost a LOT less than my new GS. When you spend north of $60k for a car, you have a right to expect that they won't drop support for your electronics as soon as you take delivery.
Old 06-18-13, 04:51 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

We should ALL call Lexus to complain about the voice commands. Since it's just software, they should be able to update it.
- No suspend guidance, no direct temperate, no station on either FM on XM, they took some much out. Used to be able to say even things like: I'm hungry, it's too hot in here : none of those work anymore.
Old 06-18-13, 05:42 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also if you're listening to music, it does not lower music during guidance, so you don't really hear the directions unless music is at around vol. 25 or less.
Old 01-06-14, 11:22 AM
luiq5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pause guidance by voice command

I recently bought a 2013 LS, which would not allow "pause guidance" by voice command. I was initially told there was no fix, but today I had the Nav software updated as part of the Map update and it fixed it.
Old 01-06-14, 12:08 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

for the '14 GS 350, I give the voice command "Cancel" to suspend guidance. It works for me.
Old 01-06-14, 01:19 PM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luiq5
I recently bought a 2013 LS, which would not allow "pause guidance" by voice command. I was initially told there was no fix, but today I had the Nav software updated as part of the Map update and it fixed it.
What map update is that?

The lack of a cancel voice commend is infuriating to me. My BMW's all had it
Old 01-06-14, 07:53 PM
hdfanatic
Driver School Candidate

thanks for this info. I can confirm that my 14' GS F-Sports accepts 'Pause Guidance' and 'Resume Guidance' as voice commands. Learn something new about this car every day.
Old 01-06-14, 07:56 PM
hdfanatic
Driver School Candidate

now if there was a way to not have to confirm everything, it would speed things up. it feels like voice commands take too long because it wants to confirm everything. I want to say 'cooler' and it just changes the temp.
Old 01-06-14, 08:28 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It's 10:20 pm and 25 degrees but I ran outside and can also confirm that my 2013 GS Lux also responds to the "pause guidance" and "resume guidance" voice commands. I had very, very low expectations about this car's nav/infotainment system, so little findings like these are very pleasant. Yes, my expectations were that low.
Old 01-08-14, 06:09 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Haven't had to worry about the Nav talking over other things because I leave the Nav''s voice off. I turn off the Nav voice in all my vehicles because I find it too distracting with other people in the car or when trying to listen to music or talk radio.

I totally agree with you all on the other points though. Even my Honda minivan has better voice commands, not to mention a much easier to use interface. I also find it annoying that EVERY time I start the car I have to set the mode back to Sport. You'd think that after 8 months of ownership, the car would finally figure out that I really, really do want to be in Sport mode.

All in all, despite a small list of gripes, most of which are definitely "first world problems," I am thrilled with this car. The big list of positives far outweighs the small list of annoyances.

Last edited by Nismo; 01-08-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-10-14, 01:50 PM
mcneguy
Driver School Candidate

I was on a Bluetooth call on my '13 GS the other day and after I pulled into my garage I turned the car off..the freaking Bluetooth shut off too so I had to grab my phone to keep the conversation going. The BMW's I owned previous to this never shut the Bluetooth off until I hung up the call. That is irritating to me.
Old 01-10-14, 03:44 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mcneguy
I was on a Bluetooth call on my '13 GS the other day and after I pulled into my garage I turned the car off..the freaking Bluetooth shut off too so I had to grab my phone to keep the conversation going. The BMW's I owned previous to this never shut the Bluetooth off until I hung up the call. That is irritating to me.
That's pretty cool. I've never heard of that. +1 for BMW. But when I'm turning my car off I am usually getting out after so it doesn't really bother me. I'd be frustrated if it kept the Bluetooth connected as I'm trying to continue my conversation walking into my house.
Old 01-10-14, 04:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

2014 Models (some ) now support the command "Delete Destination" rather than manually hitting Delete Destination
Old 01-10-14, 11:40 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

voice command is ****ty. new firmware is causing a slower boot time. sux!
Old 01-12-14, 09:23 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Can anyone with a 2014 check if you can use voice commands to set the temperature to say 72 degrees or radio station to 78.9?

Quick Reply: Voice command to suspend guidance?