DIY puddle light led

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 08:55 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal1984
Excellent post.

Any chance of getting a night shot or a shot in the garage to see how much more light it produces?
pic added.. tried to capture it the best i can with my phone
Old 01-07-13, 09:00 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing....hmmm, never noticed my puddle light. Hope to see more led lights from others.
Old 01-07-13, 09:14 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great DIY posting. I have always wanted to this mod, but was not sure how to remove the mirror.
Old 01-07-13, 09:15 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

added to the DIY sticky, nice work buddy
Old 01-07-13, 09:19 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
added to the DIY sticky, nice work buddy
thank you thank you
Old 01-08-13, 05:52 AM
Mi1lion
Driver

[QUOTE=0mghi2u;7689769]reverse lights are realllll easy...

open the trunk.. if u look at the inner upper trunk lid you will see those little plastic push clips.. take a pair of pliers or flat head and pull them off.. you don't have to take all of them off just the ones around the taillights.. then you will see the reverse light bulb socket.. pull it out install new led and push the pins back in and your done..

THANK YOU
Old 01-08-13, 09:05 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On LED lights generally, it is critical to choose the appropriate type (not just electrical specs) of LED to provide maximum illumination for the specific application. Incandescent bulbs generally radiate semi-spherically, whereas LEDs can be made to emit in semi-spherical, radial, axial, or even unidirectional configurations. Three examples:

1) Trunk light - in the GS, the bulb aims directly downward into the trunk. Therefore an LED that emits its light axially is the right selection. One that emits radially will not give the maximum illumination of the trunk area.

2) Puddle/license plate light - since these applications require radial illumination just on one side of the bulb, the worst choice is axial, followed by distributed radial (typically only 1/4 of light is seen), then split radial (1/2 light), and finally, the optimal configuration is one-sided radial emission where 100% of emitted LED light can be directed downwards to form the puddle or to illuminate the plate.

3) Dome/footwell - in these applications, where a diffuse illumination rather than a "hot spot" is desired, a distributed radial (semi-spherical) configuration LED with more rather than fewer and SMDs mounted in a many-sided arrangement would be optimal.

When choosing LEDs for various applications, modders should specify what TYPE of LED they selected and give an indication of how well it fits the application.

Last edited by williakz; 01-08-13 at 09:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by williakz:
dTxworld (12-06-18), lji (03-28-21)
Old 01-08-13, 05:06 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

[quote=Mi1lion;7690314]
Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
reverse lights are realllll easy...

open the trunk.. if u look at the inner upper trunk lid you will see those little plastic push clips.. take a pair of pliers or flat head and pull them off.. you don't have to take all of them off just the ones around the taillights.. then you will see the reverse light bulb socket.. pull it out install new led and push the pins back in and your done..

THANK YOU
did you get it?
Old 01-09-13, 04:32 AM
Mi1lion
Driver

Yea, but didn't do it yet as I had homework last night. I got the concept though.
Old 01-09-13, 05:33 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue is that the OEM puddle light DIM's in and out when it comes on/off. With LED, there is no dimming feature as it would come right on/off.
Old 01-09-13, 05:58 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

Anyone have recommendations for where to purchase?

Thanks for the write-up!
Old 01-09-13, 06:47 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the write up! Got it done today! i find it easier with the back cover out rather than the front black piece out. When putting it all back, place the puddle light cover on the black cover 1st then hold on to the signal light in place with 1 hand, with the other hand pop back the back cover then it's all done after screwing back all the 5 screw & pop back the mirror!

I tried the way bro posted but it's so difficult to pop back the black cover as the puddle light keeps running around & difficult to pop the front black cover into the tab on the puddle light housing!

Btw wat kind of LED bulbs give the best illumination for this mod? As the bulb is shine on it's side rather than straight on if u get wat i mean. I'm using an LED dat has 1 LED on top, with 4 LEDs on the side like 4 corners. The shine is quite ok as 2 LED on the side will shine down... Dunno if T10 las LED bulbs like in a panel type with LED lying on a straight panel. This way all LEDs will shine down
Old 01-09-13, 02:07 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jsch222
Anyone have recommendations for where to purchase?

Thanks for the write-up!
v-leds or ebay..
Old 01-09-13, 02:07 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Igor911
The only issue is that the OEM puddle light DIM's in and out when it comes on/off. With LED, there is no dimming feature as it would come right on/off.
my led dims on and off
Old 01-09-13, 02:09 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Thanks for the write up! Got it done today! i find it easier with the back cover out rather than the front black piece out. When putting it all back, place the puddle light cover on the black cover 1st then hold on to the signal light in place with 1 hand, with the other hand pop back the back cover then it's all done after screwing back all the 5 screw & pop back the mirror!

I tried the way bro posted but it's so difficult to pop back the black cover as the puddle light keeps running around & difficult to pop the front black cover into the tab on the puddle light housing!

Btw wat kind of LED bulbs give the best illumination for this mod? As the bulb is shine on it's side rather than straight on if u get wat i mean. I'm using an LED dat has 1 LED on top, with 4 LEDs on the side like 4 corners. The shine is quite ok as 2 LED on the side will shine down... Dunno if T10 las LED bulbs like in a panel type with LED lying on a straight panel. This way all LEDs will shine down

no problem man.. good idea i didn't think of doing it your way.. lol.. fml took me like 10 tries to get one side back on.. but for led bulbs it really depends on what preferences you have .. i think others use the led where its flat and only one side has 2 leds on it so u can just aim it downwards

Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led