GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY puddle light led

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 08:23 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by frotiss
Hey guys do you know this is the same way to remove the glass on the 3rd Generation GS. Thanks
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lights-14.html
Old 10-06-16, 07:33 AM
iWannaGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvm0685
for those with the folding mirrors, are your mirrors synched? my left one folds faster than my right one by about a second. i changed my lights to LEDs but dont know if it was always like this, or if it was a result of taking apart the housing and putting it back together.
Mine are synchronized
Old 10-06-16, 07:34 AM
iWannaGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by frotiss
Hey guys do you know this is the same way to remove the glass on the 3rd Generation GS. Thanks
Not sure. This is my 1st lexus but I imagine it's the same.
Old 10-06-16, 07:37 AM
iWannaGS
Rookie

From briefly looking at the pictures of that link, the process is different. On the 4th gen, 1st you have to pop off the glass by using some mild force which was kinda scary at first but it was ok. Then the screws are behind there. Easy process the rest of the way. Good luck
Old 10-22-16, 10:42 AM
socialnet
Driver School Candidate

I just finally completed this mod. Took me about 45 minutes with the driver side and about 10 minutes with the passenger. Now that I've done it, it would probably take a few minutes each time since it's pretty easy once you get pass the first time.

Here are a few tough moments:

1. I had to use a lot of force like people said to get the mirrors off the clips. It was harder on the driver's side since it had the glue. passenger side didn't have any glue for some reason.

2. When putting it back together, the frame was hard to realign, you had to get one of the lower clips to connect to the bulb housing. took me forever on the first try.

3. Reattaching the mirror was hard because you cant really hear the clips snap back in so you don't know if they are in secured. I just pressed it in as hard as I can. then I kind pry the edges and see if they come loose.

One thing I do notice now is that, like of the other members said, the syncing is now off by a second. One said closes/opens faster than the other side. Anyone know how to resync them?

Here are the bulbs I've used, got them from oreily auto parts.
Attached Thumbnails DIY puddle light led-img_20161022_094215.jpg  

Last edited by socialnet; 10-22-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-26-16, 02:29 PM
slk23
Driver School Candidate

I also completed this mod a few days ago. It took me 1.5 hrs from start to finish, and I probably wouldn't try it again... lol

Couple of tips:
-if you have folding mirrors, turn it off first
-wear gloves and use a prying tool to help twist/wedge off the mirror
-connect the white bulb housing to the black frame first (there's a tab that hooks) before realigning. 2 sets of hands would help here.
-looking top down from behind the mirror; align the bottom 2 tabs on the mirror to the tabs/clips on the frame first and then snap in (you will hear the snap/click) and then do the top 2. use your palm in the center of the mirror and press in.
-be patient and give yourself plenty of time and daylight

I used a 360 degree 5-pronged led bulb. The light is definetly a whiter-color light, but it is not brighter than the OEM bulb. Its pretty useless during the daytime, but def looks cool at night. More luxurious and should have come like that from the factory. The driver's side does fold a split second faster than the passenger's but that doesnt really bother me much.
Old 11-16-16, 01:03 AM
Luffy808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing everyone change there puddle lights is making me want to do the same also! I checked out vleds and still dont know which bulbs to get?
Option A:

Option B:

Thank you.
Old 11-16-16, 09:39 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Option B would probably be preferred due to the placement of the diodes. Option A might not put as much light "down" towards the ground.
Old 11-16-16, 03:19 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I concur with DallasDave - Option B is the way to go. I have that very VLED bulb in my puddle lamp...you will not be disappointed with it. Excellent quality, color and finish.
Old 11-16-16, 07:09 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I concur with DallasDave - Option B is the way to go. I have that very VLED bulb in my puddle lamp...you will not be disappointed with it. Excellent quality, color and finish.
Originally Posted by DallasDave
Option B would probably be preferred due to the placement of the diodes. Option A might not put as much light "down" towards the ground.
Thanks for the replies! Ill try and get going on this DIY for the puddle lamps
Old 11-30-16, 08:50 PM
Luffy808
Driver

I thought I could do this mod myself without any troubles! But I was wrong I did what the pictures showed on the first page and tried to pull off the mirror but it wouldnt budge! So I gave up and was going to let a friend do it for me. I went into the car trying to readjust the mirror and now it clicks and flies the mirror more on the inner side and will not go left and outward to see the road or other cars. I guess I cracked the mirror to hard and it just will not function properly! I have tried forcing it the opposite way but still not functioning properly. So if anyone who is thinking about doing this, please be mindful that you may break or make the electronic function of the mirror to move properly! Now I have to manually adjust the mirrors and have lost the reverse mirror function for now! OUCH
Old 11-30-16, 10:19 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808
I thought I could do this mod myself without any troubles! But I was wrong I did what the pictures showed on the first page and tried to pull off the mirror but it wouldnt budge! So I gave up and was going to let a friend do it for me. I went into the car trying to readjust the mirror and now it clicks and flies the mirror more on the inner side and will not go left and outward to see the road or other cars. I guess I cracked the mirror to hard and it just will not function properly! I have tried forcing it the opposite way but still not functioning properly. So if anyone who is thinking about doing this, please be mindful that you may break or make the electronic function of the mirror to move properly! Now I have to manually adjust the mirrors and have lost the reverse mirror function for now! OUCH
I tried something similar on my IS and it now vibrates on freeways till date soo annoying , one of the reason I'm not touching it on the GS.
Old 11-30-16, 10:45 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I tried something similar on my IS and it now vibrates on freeways till date soo annoying , one of the reason I'm not touching it on the GS.
Yes, it was a pain to even pull it and try to maneuver the mirror, but those brackets are hard to take off! IDK why they make it easier to take off?! The bulb and the motor must need maintenance in the future! Well, luckily I have a friend of friend who works for Lexus as a mechanic so he deals with all the maintenance of any Lexus car! So I can't wait for a professional to do it for me for FREE Hopefully he can fix the mirror motor.
Old 11-30-16, 11:32 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I've done this simple mod several times already and had no problems with breaking parts or rattles. I even had to take apart the driver's side mirror twice on my 2017 since I bought a new brighter bulb that didn't fit on the first attempt. I made sure the putty on the back of the driver's mirror was positioned to stick again and made sure everything clicked properly back in place.
Old 12-01-16, 12:48 AM
Luffy808
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
I've done this simple mod several times already and had no problems with breaking parts or rattles. I even had to take apart the driver's side mirror twice on my 2017 since I bought a new brighter bulb that didn't fit on the first attempt. I made sure the putty on the back of the driver's mirror was positioned to stick again and made sure everything clicked properly back in place.
Well I am a newbie and followed the instruction from the first poster and I damaged the internal parts of mirror! Since you are an expert it would be helpful to post pics or a video of how you did this! Not just say stuff that its easy for you! people do have different experiences. Thanks

Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led