Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

super easy!!! im going to do this, this week
Old 10-27-15, 10:39 PM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
I was actually looking at those. Do you mind taking a picture of how yours turned out at night?

Thanks!
I ordered the VLED lights. I read how they didn't line up properly. I hoped I could modify the fixture as this is a superior design for our application. I was successful and it was a lot easier them I had anticipated.

I then trimmed the base's plastic wings that twist the base into the fixture to allow it to point straight down instead of sideways.

Factory orentation

Angle of light in factory position

Trim a little of the plastic off one of the wings so you can position it differently, passenger side

Trimmed base, driver side

New position. Yes, this is not 100% perpendicular to the housing. I was going to super-glue it perpendicular however I noticed the housing doesn't sit level in the mirror. So long story short, this orentation sits perpendicular to the ground.

Before (note the level of the light fixture and how it sits at an angle)

After

Before, dark room

After, dark room

Before, lit room

After, lit room

They are much brighter. Before it was hard to tell if they were on unless it was very dark out. Now there is no question.

Last edited by 1fuzzybk; 10-27-15 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Splleimg
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyken (07-21-22)
Old 10-28-15, 09:12 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a lot brighter than the 1 watt Philips bulbs lol. Thanks for posting up the pictures
Old 12-02-15, 01:58 AM
supra725
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

what size bulb did you order for the puddle lamp?
Old 12-02-15, 09:42 PM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

These, the same ones the other people were talking about trying:
http://www.vleds.com/5k-4-hpf.html
5K WHITE 4 LED HIGH POWER FLANK BULBS 194 168 158 160LM | 1 PAIR
Old 12-03-15, 12:42 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reassembling is a pain in the @ss
Old 12-03-15, 08:48 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Reassembling is a pain in the @ss
Amen to that! My cuz pointed out that my driver mirror outer casing and inner glossy black trim seemed to not fit at the seems flush after I changed the puddle light...drove me crazy and took me like 40min taking it apart and pushing them together to get it as flush as possible.

Afterward, I realized that the outer casing of my mirror was not exactly perfect so I had to live with however flush it fits with the inner part (since its plastic, it may have been bent slightly from all the times the mirror was folded-in).
Old 01-16-16, 10:32 PM
Yeezy31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
when putting it back together just make sure the puddle light housing is in the correct place and the turn signal housing piece put back in the correct spot.. then put the black cover piece back on and make sure it all fits in without gaps.. if there is a slight gap on top and outer side towards the led turn signal ur fine cuz when you screw it in the gap will close up.. the puddle light housing has this white tab and the black cover housing has a opening for the black tab just make sure the white tab fits inside the black cover housing before tightening it all up... then when all done push the bottom mirror back in place first then the tops..and your all done.. ENJOY. hope this helped...
When I installed mine the power mirrors were not synchronized when retracting in and out. Do you know how I can fix that? It happened right after I installed the lights. My friend had the same problem.
Old 01-17-16, 07:54 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The only down side to this mod is, the mirrors are a pain to put back together and once you do, they make a weird plastic rattle noise each time I close my doors. It's too much a hassle to open it up again and try to fix it so I just live with it.
Old 01-17-16, 08:52 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
The only down side to this mod is, the mirrors are a pain to put back together and once you do, they make a weird plastic rattle noise each time I close my doors. It's too much a hassle to open it up again and try to fix it so I just live with it.
I swapped my driver puddle lamp 2 years ago to LED and never bothered to do the passenger one lol. It was such annoying to put back together.
Old 02-03-16, 09:41 PM
supra725
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

has anyone use these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Xenon-Whi...true#vi-ilComp

I want to do mine this weekend.. but can't decide on what bulbs to use.. I want something that will have some lumens behind it.
Old 02-10-16, 10:30 AM
Spamboi
Rookie

Still having trouble trying to get the mirror off of the clips.. I see some people saying to pull it by all four corners, or like in the picture, from the bottom left tab.. Still not coming off. Any more advice??
Old 02-10-16, 10:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spamboi
Still having trouble trying to get the mirror off of the clips.. I see some people saying to pull it by all four corners, or like in the picture, from the bottom left tab.. Still not coming off. Any more advice??
Usually you just have push the top part of the mirror and slide your index fingers behind the bottom. Pushing the top part of the mirror in should create some space between the bottom of the mirror and the housing. Then, with your fingers in that space, pull up and toward you:
See the 1m 55s mark:
See the 4s mark:
Old 02-10-16, 08:13 PM
Spamboi
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Usually you just have push the top part of the mirror and slide your index fingers behind the bottom. Pushing the top part of the mirror in should create some space between the bottom of the mirror and the housing. Then, with your fingers in that space, pull up and toward you:
See the 1m 55s mark: Lexus is350 puddle lamps part 2 - YouTube
See the 4s mark: IS350 Puddle lamps R&R - YouTube
I'm assuming it's similar to the 3is? I'm able to get my fingers behind the mirror, I just feel as if I'm about to break something by pulling that hard
Old 02-11-16, 07:21 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spamboi
I'm assuming it's similar to the 3is? I'm able to get my fingers behind the mirror, I just feel as if I'm about to break something by pulling that hard
Absolutely similar - had an '11 IS350 and did the exact same thing to open up the mirror on the 4GS.

Don't pull violently, just pull gently while slowly increasing force...

Here's another vid (see 7m19s mark):

Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led