GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY puddle light led

Old 08-04-15, 04:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jayemko
I'm using those right now, while great bulbs, they still aren't quite right for our puddle lamp housings. A lot of the bulb body is exposed, so potential light is wasted due to the light source not beginning closer to the contacts.

Yes, it also bites the bulb socket is not perpendicular, but instead appears to be a 45 degree-ish rotation. I just ordered these and am really optimistic. Look forward to trying them after they float over from China:

Amazon: S&D 5pcs Canbus LED 5630 SMD Bulb Led...White...120-160LM

That's a can bus bulb.I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a canbus led in non can bus application.

From SuperbriteLEDs.com

"https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/blog.php?entry=09/23/2014/CAN-Bus-LED-Bulbs

Can you use CAN Bus LED bulbs in non-CAN Bus applications?

CAN Bus LED bulbs should not be used in non-CAN Bus applications because in most cases they can cause other vehicle circuits to have problems. Electrical systems are much like the flowing water in a river. If a log or other obstacle is placed in its path, the water backs up, but then finds another route. A CAN Bus LED bulb presents more resistance than the stock bulb due to built-in resistors and may cause feedback into other circuits in the non-CAN Bus electrical system.
Old 08-04-15, 06:36 AM
jayemko
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DIY puddle light led

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's a can bus bulb.I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a canbus led in non can bus application.

From SuperbriteLEDs.com

"https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/blog.php?entry=09/23/2014/CAN-Bus-LED-Bulbs

Can you use CAN Bus LED bulbs in non-CAN Bus applications?

CAN Bus LED bulbs should not be used in non-CAN Bus applications because in most cases they can cause other vehicle circuits to have problems. Electrical systems are much like the flowing water in a river. If a log or other obstacle is placed in its path, the water backs up, but then finds another route. A CAN Bus LED bulb presents more resistance than the stock bulb due to built-in resistors and may cause feedback into other circuits in the non-CAN Bus electrical system.
While I can appreciate that theory, and that may be true with some cars (I.e. domestics), that company has to cover their tail for all makes and models. In the puddle lights for our GS it will simply be a wasted feature.
Old 08-21-15, 03:48 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

So I finally got a chance this morning to install my Phillips puddle lamp LEDS. They are slightly brighter then OEM, and white in color. Wish I had tried the flank style ones from VLeds. I have them on my RX and man are they bright! Anyways here are some pics. First picture is true to color. In the second pic they seem blue but they are white. I think it has to do with me turning on the lights inside the garage. Thanks for the DIY OP!

Old 08-21-15, 06:26 PM
flyingdave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some of the Sylvania bulbs for replacing various lights. Did the trunk first. It's better but not brilliant. I was hoping to use the same bulb for the reverse lights as the wife wants to get the windows tinted. I think it could use brighter bulbs in that case so I replaced one to compare to the other. While it looked better to me aesthetically I did not feel it was any brighter than the stock light so I left the stockers in. Will tackle the mirrors next after I get home off of this trip.
Old 09-07-15, 08:06 AM
FPerform
Driver

Thanks for this.

Wow, I went to the Stealership to get a quote on this for a IS350 and they gave me a $564 estimate and I just hung up. Ridiculous.
Old 09-07-15, 02:21 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
So I finally got a chance this morning to install my Phillips puddle lamp LEDS. They are slightly brighter then OEM, and white in color. Wish I had tried the flank style ones from VLeds. I have them on my RX and man are they bright! Anyways here are some pics. First picture is true to color. In the second pic they seem blue but they are white. I think it has to do with me turning on the lights inside the garage. Thanks for the DIY OP!

Send me a link where you bought the bulbs from~
Old 09-07-15, 02:22 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FPerform
Thanks for this.

Wow, I went to the Stealership to get a quote on this for a IS350 and they gave me a $564 estimate and I just hung up. Ridiculous.
$564 for what.........................
Old 09-07-15, 05:05 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Send me a link where you bought the bulbs from~
Hi, Here's the link I used to buy my set. It was $15.84 for the pair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c.html/ref=olp_atc_new_3
Old 09-07-15, 05:09 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Also after doing this mod my driver side mirror rattles each time I close the door. I made sure to put everything back like it was and I can't find anything that's loose. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-10-15, 05:25 AM
armrelax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
when putting it back together just make sure the puddle light housing is in the correct place and the turn signal housing piece put back in the correct spot.. then put the black cover piece back on and make sure it all fits in without gaps.. if there is a slight gap on top and outer side towards the led turn signal ur fine cuz when you screw it in the gap will close up.. the puddle light housing has this white tab and the black cover housing has a opening for the black tab just make sure the white tab fits inside the black cover housing before tightening it all up... then when all done push the bottom mirror back in place first then the tops..and your all done.. ENJOY. hope this helped...
Hi there. what kind of led bulb is the right one for puddle light? what size and fitment is it?
thank you
Old 10-06-15, 01:12 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by armrelax
Hi there. what kind of led bulb is the right one for puddle light? what size and fitment is it?
thank you

Just read through the instructions.. size is 194, but for the light itself.. don't bother with a flank bulb. Get an omni one. .

Last edited by Prinny; 10-06-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 01:16 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe.../360/6-5k.html

Getting just Sylvania bulbs are unnecessary.. i've had VLEDs on multiple cars for years and year.. no issue with any of the LEDs burning out. I'm not sure if those would be too bright because they're brighter compared to just the typical 1 watt ones that everyone has been talking about.

Last edited by Prinny; 10-06-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 10:49 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Only took around 20 mins or less to install both, but after installing and checking them out at night.. it's pretty dim.. definitely looks nicer, but the 1 watt bulbs aren't very bright.. distribution of light is decent enough and it looks OEM, but I don't know...
Old 10-16-15, 09:52 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Only took around 20 mins or less to install both, but after installing and checking them out at night.. it's pretty dim.. definitely looks nicer, but the 1 watt bulbs aren't very bright.. distribution of light is decent enough and it looks OEM, but I don't know...
Which bulbs did you install? When I did this, I used the VLED 194 bulb (5k white) which has excellent output and color for this type of application:

Some folks have also had recommendations of bulbs from iJDMToy . I've used a few from iJDMToy with good results as well.
Old 10-16-15, 03:15 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Which bulbs did you install? When I did this, I used the VLED 194 bulb (5k white) which has excellent output and color for this type of application:

Some folks have also had recommendations of bulbs from iJDMToy . I've used a few from iJDMToy with good results as well.

I was actually looking at those. Do you mind taking a picture of how yours turned out at night?

Thanks!

I used

Amazon.com: Philips 194 Bright White Interior Vision LED light (Pack of 2): Automotive Amazon.com: Philips 194 Bright White Interior Vision LED light (Pack of 2): Automotive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led