GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 04:57 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.

I'm hoping you fellow GS Owners that are more car-care savvy can help me. I noticed today that my new baby with only 450 miles on it was clipped on the rear passenger side bumper. I'm fairly certain it was some moron that parked next to me in a shopping center yesterday. Honestly, the flash on my iphone makes it look worse, in normal light it just looks scuffed. Short of taking it in for repairs, would something like Meguiar's Scratch X help? Any advice is much appreciated, TIA!
Attached Thumbnails Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.-gs-damage.jpg  
Old 01-04-13, 05:14 PM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that doesn't look so bad at all !!
try a good type of polish
apply the polish and let it dry for 10 mins ..
hopefully this will disappear
Old 01-04-13, 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Bummer! That happened to me when I got my 2003 ES way back when, somebody bumped it in a parking lot the first week.

I would definitely pick up some Scratch X and some nice microfiber towels. It may need to be machine polished, but I bet that comes out to where you'll never know, especially on the dark color.

Where in MD do you live? I've got a ton of detailing stuff and machine polishers if you're near Montgomery County...
Old 01-04-13, 05:19 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

scratch x will get some of it out but maybe not all. doesn't look dented or anything, you should be good. it will probably be barely noticeable when you're done. don't forget to hit it with some finishing polish when you're done with the scratch x and protect it with some wax.
Old 01-04-13, 05:52 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much GtiB, Steve and Sydtoosic! I know the bumps, dings and scratches are inevitable I was just hoping it wouldn't be so soon. I'll get the Scratch X tomorrow and I do have microfiber towels. Any specific brand of polish I should try?

Really appreciate the offer Steve! I am in Montgomery County, but I'll try to DIY this first.

Sydtoosic - I ordered hardbody after seeing your thread, haven't had the chance to apply yet and this happens.
Old 01-04-13, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No prob, let me know if you wind up needing some help.

Probably the only thing you'll be able to effectively use by hand is the Scratch X. Anything else is going to need a machine to break down properly.

I would actually use a good terry cloth towel or washcloth to apply the Scratch X and work it in rather than a Microfiber. Use the microfiber to buff it off. to Rub it in parallel to the scuff, and work it until it breaks down and starts to clear up. Then buff it off. Keep working it, but my guess is it'll take a machine to really get it out.
Old 01-04-13, 07:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cin8
Thanks so much GtiB, Steve and Sydtoosic! I know the bumps, dings and scratches are inevitable I was just hoping it wouldn't be so soon. I'll get the Scratch X tomorrow and I do have microfiber towels. Any specific brand of polish I should try?

Really appreciate the offer Steve! I am in Montgomery County, but I'll try to DIY this first.

Sydtoosic - I ordered hardbody after seeing your thread, haven't had the chance to apply yet and this happens.
after the scratch x i would apply meguiars ultimate polish afterwards, it wouldn't be my choice but if you're buying it from pep boys etc. then go with that. i would use a two sided MF towel the long nap side for the scratch x and the short nap side to remove it. you're going to love that Hard Body. don't forget to maintain it with the wolfs nano shampoo and nano quick detailer. you'll be fine don't let it drive you crazy... i know i'm OCD about my car, but i'm learning to tone it down a bit.
Old 01-04-13, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's why I recommended a terry towel for working in the Scratch X, an MF towel doesn't have enough bite.
Old 01-04-13, 08:10 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

just like Syd said, a nice scratch remover would take that out with no problem , thats nothing , I had worse than that, then a nice wax also it bring the shine right bk, good luck.
Old 01-05-13, 10:03 AM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some a$$ scratched my car on the rear passenger fender. Its an inch long and cant even see it unless you get super close, **** happens though, i always park far away.
Old 01-05-13, 10:34 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally would try meguiars cleaner wax first. It's not nearly as abrasive as the others but will usually get the job done. I had some ahole recently scuff my fender with his door... after cleaning up the area to remove existing dirt, a generous amount of this wax and some mild elbow grease on a microfiber towel I was back to as good as new. A scratch remover would have been my next step if that didn't work.

Added benefit of this guy is that it takes melted rubber of your paint after you're through with the track.
Old 01-05-13, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Always smart to try the least aggressive product first, but I'd be shocked if Cleaner Wax touched that.

You also have to be careful because the cleaner wax can fill scratches in the paint too hiding them, but they will be back as the product wears away.
Old 01-05-13, 01:32 PM
KMACK
Rookie

Megs M205 and a DA polisher should take care of that
Old 01-05-13, 03:20 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

I feel for you. I parked far away too and I have no idea why that car had to park right next to me when there were a ton of open spaces.

Originally Posted by kdsr123
some a$$ scratched my car on the rear passenger fender. Its an inch long and cant even see it unless you get super close, **** happens though, i always park far away.
Old 01-05-13, 03:32 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much guys for all the advice, there's a happy update. The hubby had a buffer attachment for his drill and after the scratch x and meguiar's polish, most if the scratches came out. There are 2 deep ones that are better now too. The bigger issue is that the idiot did dent it a little. It seems he/she was backing out of the space and clipped me.

Looks like I can only attach 1 pic at a time, here's the before, deepest scratch is right above the seam where the curve is.
Attached Thumbnails Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.