GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Liquid Platinum touch up paint odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Liquid Platinum touch up paint odyssey

Well, I'm having a clear bra installed on Sunday. I have a couple little nicks on the front I want to touchup before it goes on. I stopped by my dealer to buy a bottle, which they did not have in stock, special order 7-10 days. I figured I would just order the Dr Color Chip paint I had ordered before. Did so, and went out of town for New years.

The Dr Color Chip paint was waiting for me when I got home, so that night I went down to the garage to touchup the nicks. I was surprised to find the Dr Color Chip paint was a terrible match, at least 5 shades too dark. So...I called the dealership to ask if they could touch up the nicks for me and what that would cost. Was told by the very nice bodyshop rep at the dealer no cost, come on over. So...I did.

I get there, he gets the color code and goes to his touchup kit. He comes back out and says "Heh...don't ever wreck your car". Apparently he did not have it, nor did their bodyshop which is about 5 miles away, is huge, and does almost exlusively Lexus vehicles. He says the liquid platinum paint is very expensive, twice the cost of other Lexus paints which is why they didn't just stock it. But...he ordered some...so he would have it in 7-10 days and could touch them up for me.

Well, my bra goes on Sunday, I don't want to delay that and get more chips, so I start calling around. Called 3 dealers, no paint. Lexus of Silver Spring went so far as to say I would have to appear in person and pay for it before they could order it (I've got a $60,000 car but I'm going to stiff them on $10 worth of touchup paint?).

I finally called Lexus of Alexandria and they had one bottle, he says "I always stock one bottle of that color". I talked the guy into holding it for me (he didnt want to, had to ask his boss) and I drove down there this morning, 35 miles one way to buy it. The factory touchup is a great match.

Has anyone else had that much trouble getting ahold of this paint? Its like I'm the only person in the area with this color!

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-04-13 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 12:59 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus's Liquid Platinum paint is a three stage paint. It's a new paint color for the 2013 model year. I had a new front bumper cover installed after a collision. It was painted in Liquid Platinum. The body shop simply ordered the paint and applied it once it arrived.

From what I've been experiencing thus far I believe the repair shop-applied paint is more durable than the factory-applied paint.
Old 01-04-13, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats been my experience too. I had the bumper on my ES repainted and the new paint resisted chipping much better than the old paint.
Old 01-04-13, 01:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Lexus's Liquid Platinum paint is a three stage paint. It's a new paint color for the 2013 model year. I had a new front bumper cover installed after a collision. It was painted in Liquid Platinum. The body shop simply ordered the paint and applied it once it arrived.

From what I've been experiencing thus far I believe the repair shop-applied paint is more durable than the factory-applied paint.

As is my starfire.Lexus sells a two bottle touch up for Starfire.
Repair shop paint is application is much thicker than factory applied paint.
Old 01-04-13, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Only one bottle for the Liquid Platinum....
Old 01-04-13, 02:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised.If LP is a three stage like SP,it should have tow bottles like SP.
Some dealers sell just the 077 bottle.

00258-00077-21

STARFIRE PEARL TOUCH-UP PAINT
COLOR CODE: 077

INCLUDES BASE: 077BC

TWO BOTTLES TOTAL

TOUCH-UP BOTTLE

HAS BOTH BRUSH APPLICATOR AND A PEN APPLICATOR

THIS A 1/2 OZ BOTTLE

FACTORY OEM LEXUS TOUCH-UP PAINT
List Price: $25.95
Our Price: $17.00

http://www.lpartsworld.com/scripts/p...?idproduct=727
Old 01-04-13, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It must not be a three stage...
Old 01-04-13, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My Liquid Platinum touch-up paint has both the brush and the pen, but isn't the pen just to apply the clearcoat after the nick has been touched-up with paint?
Old 01-04-13, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No the pen will work with the paint too, it actually works great. You have to take that little orange thing inside the bottle out for the pen to work.
Old 01-04-13, 08:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great to know. Thanks!
Old 01-04-13, 10:32 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LP, a tri-coat. SMH.....I don't think there is pearl in LP

Bodyshops don't order specific paint. They mix it with toners they have.
Old 01-05-13, 06:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always like to keep a bottle of factory touchup paint around for tiny chips. For the 1st few months I had my car (May-June) no one had any and couldn't get any. They told me it was a new paint for Lexus and would take a while to get it in circulation. Than in June or July I called my local dealer and he said it would take about 24 hours to get a bottle. He called the next day and I picked it up. Around $10 and it matches great. The local dealer body shop also has it in stock for major repairs now.
Old 01-05-13, 12:12 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink LP Paint Touchup

I had the LP paint touchup within 7 days after purchase of the GS-no charge from Lexus of Cherry Hill, NJ. The LP paint is new for 2013 and is a new technology that does a fantastic reflection of light day and night under the stars and moon. They use 6 coats for the car and a seventh one for the hood. Have not used the touch up paint but thanks for the ideas on this forum.
Old 01-05-13, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nexson
LP, a tri-coat. SMH.....I don't think there is pearl in LP

Bodyshops don't order specific paint. They mix it with toners they have.
I don't think its a tri-coat, the guy I talked to at the dealer didn't say it was.

Don't know what to tell you about the bodyshops ordering paint. This is a huge Lexus dealership partnered with a huge very well respected local bodyshop. No reason to doubt the guy.
Old 01-05-13, 01:38 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership guy probably has not had any experience with the actual painting but it's true: body shops don't order the paint from Lexus: each shop has a paint system with tinting colors supplied by their paint provider: PPG, etc, and they mix every color according to a formula from their paint supplier and use some of their own experience once they find good matches. They also have to tint the color slightly to take into account the color on your specific car. Guys in the service department may not know how it works.

Quick Reply: Liquid Platinum touch up paint odyssey