GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advanced options

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 09:45 PM
dramsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced options

I'm looking at a 2013 GS and it seems that cars with what I'll call "advanced options"-- like the radar cruise control, night vision, or blind spot warning system-- are only available via order. Dealers don't seem to have cars with these options on the lot. Is this correct?

Also, a question: can I enter a new destination or waypoint in the nav system (under voice) while the car is in motion?

Thanks...
Old 01-01-13, 10:12 PM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Originally Posted by dramsey
I'm looking at a 2013 GS and it seems that cars with what I'll call "advanced options"-- like the radar cruise control, night vision, or blind spot warning system-- are only available via order. Dealers don't seem to have cars with these options on the lot. Is this correct?..
Unfortunately, correct.
Old 01-02-13, 12:23 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

If you should decide to order to get the options and colors you want it takes about 3 to 3 1/2 months but its worth it if you can stand the wait.
Old 01-02-13, 06:59 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to find a new GS with all the options you mentioned. The dealer( Wilkie Lexus in PA) had 4 on the lot.
You need to shop around.
Old 01-02-13, 07:22 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Also, a question: can I enter a new destination or waypoint in the nav system (under voice) while the car is in motion?
Yes, you can enter a new destination by voice while driving. Even better, you can hit the Destination Assist button, and a live person can help you find the destination and send it wirelesly directly to your navigation system. It's a fantastic free service!
Old 01-02-13, 07:43 AM
dramsey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Big *****
I was able to find a new GS with all the options you mentioned. The dealer( Wilkie Lexus in PA) had 4 on the lot.
You need to shop around.
Sadly, I live in Reno, so my immediate options are limited to the local dealer. Still, Vegas is only a few hours' drive away. But yesterday the salesman told me the last time he tried to find a GS with radar cruise control, he was only able to find "one in the country."

Of course he'd prefer to sell a car on his lot...I suppose it would be better to do my own search.

It does seem odd that so few cars have these options considering they're ubiquitous on the other cars I'm looking at (Cadillac XTS, Audi A6).
Old 01-02-13, 07:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
Yes, you can enter a new destination by voice while driving. Even better, you can hit the Destination Assist button, and a live person can help you find the destination and send it wirelesly directly to your navigation system. It's a fantastic free service!
Isn't Destination Assist part of the subscription based Enform service? Maybe the 1st year is free?
Old 01-02-13, 08:13 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

But yesterday the salesman told me the last time he tried to find a GS with radar cruise control, he was only able to find "one in the country."
That may have been for me. Las Vegas was one of the 25 or so dealers I called. I found two cars with Pre-Collision System/Dynamic Radar Cruise in California. One was a demo with 4,000 miles on it and the other was an unacceptable color that was missing other options we wanted.

I have never seen a car company that doesn't stock well optioned cars.
Old 01-02-13, 08:21 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm looking at a 2013 GS and it seems that cars with what I'll call "advanced options"-- like the radar cruise control, night vision, or blind spot warning system-- are only available via order. Dealers don't seem to have cars with these options on the lot. Is this correct?

Thanks...
Maybe out in the west coast, but those options can be found on some in the east coast. Best way to find out what dealership has those options is to look at there inventory and find out what they have.
Old 01-02-13, 09:00 AM
dramsey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Maybe out in the west coast, but those options can be found on some in the east coast. Best way to find out what dealership has those options is to look at there inventory and find out what they have.
That will be a tedious undertaking, because a surprising number of Lexus dealer who use the standard Lexus dealer site template don't list new inventory. Those that do, don't list the options of the car in any detail; instead, you must "request more information" and leave an email address.

So it would be a lot of phone calls.

I imagine my dealer has a way to search national inventory from his desk, so I might have to rely on that after all.
Old 01-02-13, 09:02 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just a note on checking dealer inventory - my son was recently looking for a GS 350 F Sport and kept telling me he only had two to choose from at the dealer giving him the best deal. So I checked the dealer's inventory and it said they had 12 including the color he really wanted. Then I checked anothe dealer who also showed 12 F Sports including the wanted color .... and eventually all five dealers in the area before I figured out that they were all showing the same inventory even though at least some of them don't do dealer trades. It may take a call or visit to the dealer to get the correct inventory.

Dave Mac
Old 01-02-13, 10:51 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah, you'll have to visit a dealer and have a sales rep locate or attempt to locate the car/options you want. i wanted the GS F Sport Hybrid, went to the dealer and sat down with a sales rep. he searched high and low and the end result... we can't even get that car here in the states. so i wound up with the GS F Sport non hybrid.
Old 01-02-13, 11:00 AM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blind spot monitor is a nice option to add !
the night vision is just a waste of money in my opinion ..
and the radar is a handy tool if u get on highways a lot if not then there's no need for that as well !!
Old 01-02-13, 11:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Blind spot monitor is easily available.
First time I've had the option and I really like it a lot.
Old 01-02-13, 09:06 PM
dramsey
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the blind spot monitor is nice. I'd use the radar cruise control a lot; I do a lot of highway driving. I've put 38,400 miles on my current car in less than two years. Just got back from a 3,200 mile trip to Texas.

Quick Reply: Advanced options