GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advanced options

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 09:49 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GtiB
blind spot monitor is a nice option to add !
the night vision is just a waste of money in my opinion ..
and the radar is a handy tool if u get on highways a lot if not then there's no need for that as well !!
I agree, BSM is handy. night vision is a waste but radar cruise is a useful option as part of the PCS. which is a safety option consisting of a number of features. I hope I never have to find out if it works. There arn't many PCSs out there cause most people won't spring for it. Two thousand is an expensive option.
Old 01-05-13, 07:13 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was looking for a new GS earlier this year, I wanted "advanced" options and was told special order only. I contacted Lexus in CA, and they looked to see what was available and in the pipeline. Bottom line was the only hits they got were the ones that were special ordered. To make things worse, nobody had a demo, so I had to order blind.

We found some cars with BSM, but APCS/DRC, night vision, and HUD just weren't there.

The reason why they don't stock these cars is because people don't want to pay for it. That's true not only for Lexus, but also BMW, MB, and others.

My order took 4 1/2 months, but I'm glad I ordered.

As to specific options:

BSM is very good, though I wish the zone covered extended a bit further back, and I wish there was an audio warning as well. I would get it again, especially if it had the cross-traffic alert, like the ES and LS.

Night vision sounds good, but for most people, I don't think it's worth getting and I didn't order it. First, it just shows the image, and doesn't analyze it; some other brands like MB (maybe BMW also) look for people in the image and alert you with an outlined box and alert. This means that on Lexus you'll have to look at it quite often to benefit, but that distracts from the windshield. Another thing is that if you order it on the GS, you can't get the LKA, because their sensors both go up at the rear-view mirror. Another thing is that it's real value is in rural driving, but when that's the case, I can turn on the high beam, and night turns into day. In the city, I think it's just a distraction and doesn't add much, if anything. Somebody posted a video of the GS night view in action on YouTube.

The PCS/DRC is fantastic, making highway driving much easier. If somebody in front slows down it will not only back off the gas, but also apply the brakes, and even alert you if it needs heavier breaking. If you also have LKA and cruise is on, it even gives a subtle nudge in the steering wheel to keep you in the lane. As to the collision warning part of it, it's a bit of a disappointment. I haven't seen it kick in, and there's only so far I'll go to provoke it into action. I wish the sensitivity (warning) could be adjusted. My wife's Volvo City Safe with the the radar (2012 S80), is FAR superior in this regard The radar cruise doesn't disengage when you get below like 30 MPH; it will stay engaged even if you come to a complete stop, and, if you're stopped for less than 3 sec., it starts moving again when the vehicle ahead of you moves. When you're driving, the radar judges your distance and closure rate, and if you're getting too close, a set of red lights starts to glow on the windshield as the situation gets dangerous, and if it gets really bad, the audible warning kicks in, and eventually the brakes. It also uses cameras near the rear-view mirror to detect pedestrians. THAT is what the Lexus PCS/DRC should be. The Volvo sticker is about $50K with all these options (and pretty much everything else). Unfortunately, you do have to order, that only takes about 8 weeks (east coast)

I decided against ordering the HUD, but not because there's anything wrong with it. If I was doing it again, I might get it. If the night-vision projected warning cues on the HUD, I likely would have gotten both.

While I seriously considered the top end Volvo, and some features are clearly superior, the GS13 is much more luxurious, and I don't regret it. I'm just mad at Lexus that they made some really stupid decisions in designing the car
Old 01-05-13, 07:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj4246
I agree, BSM is handy. night vision is a waste but radar cruise is a useful option as part of the PCS. which is a safety option consisting of a number of features. I hope I never have to find out if it works. There arn't many PCSs out there cause most people won't spring for it. Two thousand is an expensive option.
the RCC does indeed work. i have an obsidian/ cabernet F Sport with every option. haven't tried the driver attention monitor yet... there's just some things i won't do. i've tried every other toy i have and they all work quite well.
Old 01-05-13, 09:42 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agreed with hziemba, the "advanced stuff" in 4GS not so ADVANCED. At least a gen behind compare to other makers.

BSM won't work below 30mph and no cross traffic alert.

LKA not really steer/force the car strong enough back to the lane.

PCS/DRC won't guide to complete stop. (The feature most disappointed in my "ADVANCED 4GS")

HUD/ Night Vision only black and white. Come on Lexus, this is 2013 already!! (I dont have both of these)

Manual close trunk/ hand folding mirror. 3GS have these power.

Incandescent turn signals/puddle/door step/trunk/backup lights. LEDs already standard on many generic brand.
Old 01-06-13, 06:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onexcite
I agreed with hziemba, the "advanced stuff" in 4GS not so ADVANCED. At least a gen behind compare to other makers.

BSM won't work below 30mph and no cross traffic alert.

LKA not really steer/force the car strong enough back to the lane.

PCS/DRC won't guide to complete stop. (The feature most disappointed in my "ADVANCED 4GS")

HUD/ Night Vision only black and white. Come on Lexus, this is 2013 already!! (I dont have both of these)

Manual close trunk/ hand folding mirror. 3GS have these power.

Incandescent turn signals/puddle/door step/trunk/backup lights. LEDs already standard on many generic brand.
Old 01-06-13, 01:45 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
Manual close trunk/ hand folding mirror.
BMW has the color HUD...I couldn't find a demo with it when I was shopping, but it seems BMW technology is superior. BTW, the BMW night vision is certainly superior to Lexus; BMW uses long wave IR which displays temperatures of objects, and does not need illuminators, like Lexus does.

The trunk release is a very sorry situation - the GS for other markets has it, yet the US version doesn't...disgraceful. I had an 06 GS with the closer, so this was a step backward! Probably will have it on the 2014 model, but that won't do us current owners any good.
Old 01-06-13, 01:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

BMW 3D Nav is nice too.

Old 01-07-13, 06:31 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

My wife and I were shopping for vehicles this weekend. We were checking out the Nissan Altima. The Altima has some technological advantages over my "Luxury" model GS 350:
  • The Altima's screen, which is integrated in the instrument panel, is useful. It can display audio system information and navigation directions, unlike the GS. I owned a Ford Edge which did this as well. Also, graphically, the Altima's and the Edge's displays look lot nicer.
  • The Altima's navigation map can be displayed in a bird's eye view, like a cheap-o Garmin navigation system from 8 years ago. The GS only allows a flat map display.
  • The Altima's blind spot monitoring system emits a tone and flashes a warning light when the turn signal is activated in the direction where the system detects an obstruction. Again, the system in my Ford Edge performed in the same way. The GS only flashes a warning light.
  • The remote engine start functions properly on the Altima. The vehicle operates in a decreased accessory mode when the RES is activated. The seats will warm if the external temperature is blow a certain threshold. The engine remains running when the doors are opened, as is typical for most RES systems. My Edge worked in this way as well. The GS uses a "dumb" system which simply turns on the vehicle in the same way a driver would. This means the seats will not heat and the radio will be blasting whatever it has on when the vehicle was shut off. Opening any door shuts off the engine. The driver must then start the vehicle again.
  • The Altima is able to automatically clean its rear view camera. The vehicle drops a bit of windshield washer fluid on the lens then blows it away with a burst of air.
Keep in mine these are all features found in a vehicle which costs $28,000 less than my GS did. It seems as though I have a lot of accessories installed on my GS rather than a complete technology package which integrates all of its features in to the operation of the vehicle as a whole. If I were to switch from Lexus to another brand, the generation-behind tech would likely be the main reason.

Last edited by Outrage; 01-07-13 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 08:07 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

I have HUD on my 535 and like it. There is a coding hack that will also give you telephone, entertainment and blinkers on it. It is my understanding that the Lexus HUD gives more information than BMW albeit it is not in color.

When my son's GS get here I'll write a first hand review comparing the two cars including HUD and Radar Cruise.