GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 04:44 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Noise

When driving slow, and hit little bumps it sounds like its a loose exhaust, or something metal is loose. The sound is coming from the drivers side. Does anyone know what it might be, or had the same problem? Really don't want to take it all the way to the dealer.
Old 01-01-13, 04:50 PM
li33gwm
Driver School Candidate

I had the same exact problem last week when pulling into two different driveways/parking lots. At first I thought "oh *****" something freakin' hit the car and immediately checked my windshield (which I had a major problem with in the first 4 hours I had the car). And then when I realized it wasn't that, thought maybe it was just a fluke.

But it happened again later on where it sounds like something is almost cracking. I wouldn't even know how to explain it to the dealer and just hoping it doesn;t happen again. Interested to see what you find out. Good Luck!
Old 01-01-13, 07:02 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Confused - one of you mentions exhaust, and the other the windshield. Can both of you describe precisely where the noise is coming from?

I have had an annoying noise (closest description I have is squeeky plastic) from around the door/change pocket. I doubt it's what you guys are experiencing.

I've been back TWICE to the dealerships. Each time they either said they couldn't hear the noise, or they fixed it (they did fix 3 rattles they found on the passenger side, they said). One time the service manager said "I took it on the bumpiest roads I know and couldn't hear a noise". Conveniently, my "tracking/cookie crumb" feature was turned off when I picked up the car. I really wonder where they took it.

I hear my noise when going over slight road imperfections, all the time. Between 40km/hr and 80km/hr (and faster speeds too). Big bumps, no noise, slight imperfections tons of noise.

M
Old 01-03-13, 04:08 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Stopped by the shop and they picked up the car, and saw nothing wrong underneath. played with the exhaust was all fine.. The guy at the shop said someone else came in with the same problem, they ended up taking everything apart and not finding anything, and told him to go to the dealership since the car was under warranty. It took the dealer 3 days to find out what it was.
Old 01-03-13, 04:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonGS
Stopped by the shop and they picked up the car, and saw nothing wrong underneath. played with the exhaust was all fine.. The guy at the shop said someone else came in with the same problem, they ended up taking everything apart and not finding anything, and told him to go to the dealership since the car was under warranty. It took the dealer 3 days to find out what it was.
was it a racoon?
Old 01-03-13, 04:27 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about. Yea it does sound like a loose exhaust. Hmmmm...
Old 01-03-13, 08:31 PM
JbankO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by li33gwm
I had the same exact problem last week when pulling into two different driveways/parking lots. At first I thought "oh *****" something freakin' hit the car and immediately checked my windshield (which I had a major problem with in the first 4 hours I had the car). And then when I realized it wasn't that, thought maybe it was just a fluke.

But it happened again later on where it sounds like something is almost cracking. I wouldn't even know how to explain it to the dealer and just hoping it doesn;t happen again. Interested to see what you find out. Good Luck!

Yesterday I was pulling into my driveway and heard a loud pop and crackling type sound. Sound came from rear drivers side. Had no clue what it was. Hasn't happened since so we'll see...
Old 01-03-13, 11:25 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JbankO
Yesterday I was pulling into my driveway and heard a loud pop and crackling type sound. Sound came from rear drivers side. Had no clue what it was. Hasn't happened since so we'll see...
I've had a one-off occurrance of a similar noise as well. I'll keep checking in on this thread for future updates.
Old 01-04-13, 12:07 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I've had a one-off occurrance of a similar noise as well. I'll keep checking in on this thread for future updates.
I've also heard this loud popping noise when making a very slow turn into a slight dip. Heard it two times. Almost sounds like a large rock bounced off the window. brakes? I don't know.
Old 01-04-13, 12:36 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hypnotika
I've also heard this loud popping noise when making a very slow turn into a slight dip. Heard it two times. Almost sounds like a large rock bounced off the window. brakes? I don't know.
same here... last night. Front driver side wheel. slow turn. Drive drove okay though.
Old 01-04-13, 05:00 AM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have my 13 GS yet, but a friend does and has described this same issue. We were speculating that it may be a weld issue where some weld in the roof possibly has broken. It happened to him when car pulling in to an incline and the body may have been flexing. This is something that happens periodically with other Lexus models and which, once identified, has been fixed under warranty at my dealership. He said he was going to wait to see if it kept happening and then if so wait for other cars to be the guinea pigs so the dealership could figure out how to fix and not learn on HIS car lol.
Old 01-04-13, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I also had this happen one time when pulling into a parking lot with a very steep curb apron when the car flexed. It was REALLY loud and scared the crap out of us.
Old 01-04-13, 06:49 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I have this problem. I'm leery of allowing the dealership to disassemble almost every interior piece above the window pillars.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=175340
Old 01-04-13, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Holy crap! Yeah...I think I'll pass on that too.
Old 01-04-13, 07:04 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There have been reports of similar sounds caused by metallic seat belt parts hitting the plastic trim next to the door.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise