First Head To Head Between BMW ActiveHybrid 5 and Lexus GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 06:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default First Head To Head Between BMW ActiveHybrid 5 and Lexus GS450h

Comparison - BMW ActiveHybrid 5 vs Lexus GS 450h F-Sport

The GS Hybrid has been thoroughly refined through its 2 generations - now it is facing intensifying competition from the Germans. We match the ActiveHybrid 5 against the almighty GS Hybrid to find out if old is still gold.

INTRODUCTION

Like a persistent flu bug, the hybrid trend has bitten a number of automakers by now. And it's more so recently, with continental brands like BMW and Audi providing their reiteration of hybrid variant.

Lexus has been a forerunner in this field, least surprising that the marque now boast the largest array of hybrid variants in the industry. When we test drove the GS hybrid earlier, it stood to us as a symbol of the marque's expertise in petrol-electric drivetrain. And while its sportier outfit may be a cause for concern for the true-blue luxury goers, it broadens its appeal to younger audiences.

The ActiveHybrid 5 (AH5) on the other hand is one of the latest contenders in the segment. Built with a radically different recipe, it seems that driving enjoyment has taken the front seat in this hybrid.

EXTERIOR

F Sport trim gives the GS a more dynamic look but the BMW 'Angel eye' daytime running LEDs still have what it takes to attract the right attention

Despite a more recent debut, the AH5's take on the F10's sheet metal make it feel more dated than the GS. This is not to say that the current 5er is a backward attempt in terms of styling. Instead, the GS' front facet and edgier overalls take credit for a more dynamic and modernistic look.

More notably, the GS also comes in two flavours to better suit the taste of buyers - luxury trim for those more accustomed to nigh-on-high lifestyles; and a more outgoing F Sport trim for those looking for a little more spice on their ride.

It is easy to fall for either of these sedans. BMW reinstates the marque's blueprint snout on the current 5er, coupled with the 'angel eyes' daytime running LED - a sure fire way to attract the right attention anywhere.

Both BMW and Lexus have fitted the hybrids with 18-inch shoes, which looks a tad undersized with pronounced arches. However, the fan-styled rims on the AH5 do look more appropriate for a hybrid, marking it out as a special variant, making the multi-spoke on the Lexus look pale in comparison.

INTERIOR

The GS' interior manages to put off a better sense of occasion

Both the Lexus and BMW are reputable names in luxury car making. It is no surprise that excellence are expected from each of them, and that both are highly specced with a long list of standard equipments.

The GS may sport the largest infortainment screen in the market currently; but it is the AH5 that is blessed with an easier system to work with. Simply put, the Lexus' controls require a tad more patience to get used to.

While both cars boasts impressive fit and finish, it is the Lexus that manages to exude a better sense of occasion. Sporting a mixture of leather and aluminium bits, the GS' interior reeks of class.

On the other hand, the interior of the AH5 is still very business-like - wooden trims, leather wraps and matt silver bits. If the GS is foie gras, the AH5 is akin to prime ribs - less eventful but nonetheless premium.

AH5's rear seats will easily fit three passengers, while the GS' is more suited for two

That said, the GS falls slightly behind in terms of utility - its centre arched rear bench makes it more suitable for two than three. There is however no such problems with the AH5.

THE DRIVE

Both cars are as delightful to pilot, especially when put to sportier settings

The AH5 and GS hybrid are very different machines, right down to the way they drive. Make no mistakes - both are equally as potent when handled the gauntlet, and will coincidentally complete their century sprints in 5.9 seconds.

There is no turning away from the fact that the AH5 is the avid performer of the two. Figures substantiate the thought - with 340bhp and 450Nm of torque on tap, the AH5 deals almost 100Nm more than the GS.

Off the line, the AH5's sprint feels timelier than sub-six seconds, thanks to the fat band width where the torque is distributed. However, power from the turbocharged inline six does come with a slight lag.

On the other hand, the GS hybrid comes with a naturally aspirated engine, providing creamy, lag free acceleration. The way it gets to speed feels more graceful than the AH5. Still, those expecting an inert, chauffeur-like driving from the GS will be in for a surprise.

For starters, the soundtrack emitted by the V6 makes for a more characterful drive. When set to its stiffest 'Sport +' mode, the GS handles just as well as the 5er, while the gentler modes lend it a lush ride that is synonymous with the brand.

The synchronicity between the GS' petrol and electric drivetrain also gives it an edge over the AH5's slightly tardy powertrain response, which feels more nudgy when switching between the drivetrains.

FUEL ECONOMY

The AH5 can't match up to the GS' real world frugality.

More relevantly, hybrids are conceived to shrink petrol bills. Over the three days we had the cars, the GS managed 14km/L compared to 11km/L put off by the AH5, putting it in a better light in terms of eco friendliness.

CONCLUSION

The AH5 has proved its mettle by its sheer display of driving joy - a departure from the laid back image which hybrids have be known to portray.

It is however, safe to say that fuel economy and eco commitment of a hybrid are some of the most important aspects to look at when shopping for one. On that point, the AH5 trails the GS.

In the other aspects, the Bimmer and Lexus offer equivalent standard of luxuries. Credit where is it due, the GS hybrid is a more notable effort, carrying more soul to it and, hence, making it the more desirable choice.

Link to article :
http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=541

( well worth checking out the original article for an extensive gallery of HQ photos )

Last edited by natnut; 12-20-12 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-20-12, 07:37 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Good find. The more I see the pictures, the more I wish I could have the F Sport front bumper! Is that a smaller "sun roof" I see above the passenger in the 5? Interesting design.
Old 12-20-12, 07:53 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I still cant get over how they de-nutted the 450h so bad this time around. I was really expecting them to increase the ICE power and let more of the computer locked down hybrid power out.

That transmission/drive is held back severely in these cars. I get the fact that many of the 3GSh owners complained that their hybrid didn't really save them any MPG. And this was Lexus's response.
In response to the complainers I say. "Of course Nancy, it was never meant to." "It was meant to quietly wax most cars off the line."

I am all about the Bamboo though.
Old 12-20-12, 08:18 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

BMWhat? Great review, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-20-12, 11:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
I still cant get over how they de-nutted the 450h so bad this time around. I was really expecting them to increase the ICE power and let more of the computer locked down hybrid power out.

That transmission/drive is held back severely in these cars. I get the fact that many of the 3GSh owners complained that their hybrid didn't really save them any MPG. And this was Lexus's response.
In response to the complainers I say. "Of course Nancy, it was never meant to." "It was meant to quietly wax most cars off the line."

I am all about the Bamboo though.
Totally agree, they did decrease the power, all to help those who actually wanted to save MPG, I think that it was a great V8 competitor but I think they should have increased the HP a little more as well as the torque. I like this comparison but I think the BMW 5 Hybrid is a pointless hybrid.
Old 12-20-12, 11:08 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Good find. The more I see the pictures, the more I wish I could have the F Sport front bumper! Is that a smaller "sun roof" I see above the passenger in the 5? Interesting design.
I'm guessing that "sun roof" is the cabin dome light catching a reflection from the surroundings.
Old 12-20-12, 02:32 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the share! interesting read
Old 12-20-12, 04:01 PM
LexFather

I so wish the 450h here offered F-sport

This also is odd as it has 18" wheels and not the 19s..never seen that before...
Old 12-20-12, 06:03 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

This also is odd as it has 18" wheels and not the 19s..never seen that before...
i asked myself that same question.
where are the F Sport wheels?

i also wished they offered the F Sport hybrid here. i actually tried to get one through the GM at my dealership, and was told the chances of getting that car here are 0.
Old 12-20-12, 06:14 PM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking at them next to each other makes me feel happy that i have the gs instead of the 5 series
Old 12-20-12, 06:15 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

I wish Lexus understood how much we want an f-Sport hybrid GS.
Old 12-20-12, 06:31 PM
nantang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd second that, but at this point, I'm about 11th or 12th-ing it. Bring us Americans the hybrid F-Sport!
Old 12-20-12, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

cliff notes: tastes great vs. less filling.
Old 12-20-12, 07:53 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Totally agree, they did decrease the power, all to help those who actually wanted to save MPG, I think that it was a great V8 competitor but I think they should have increased the HP a little more as well as the torque. I like this comparison but I think the BMW 5 Hybrid is a pointless hybrid.

Especially when you see how pathetic the 5 series Hybrid's boot space is. From the photo-gallery that came with the comparison test :

And to address those who asked :

yes, all F-sports in Singapore come with those dinky 18 inch wheels. The upside is that all F-sports essentially come fully loaded : DRS Rear steering, Blind Spot Monitor, Autofolding Side Mirrors, HUD, Full Powered Trunk Opener/Closer, Standard Mark Levinson Speakers.

I guess the Local Lexus agent figured : any owner buying an F-Sport would automatically slap on a nice expensive forged 19/20 inch aftermarket wheels anyway so they used the money from the stock 19 inchers towards the other interior handling/luxury features.

Last edited by natnut; 12-20-12 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kdsr123
looking at them next to each other makes me feel happy that i have the gs instead of the 5 series
Yes, the Lexus looks so taut and modern compared to the bulgy BMW. Crisp, clean lines.

Quick Reply: First Head To Head Between BMW ActiveHybrid 5 and Lexus GS450h