GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson audio settings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 04:28 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mark Levinson audio settings...

i have not change any of the settings yet, but what settings do you guys run right now?

bass, treble, etc.

thanks
Old 12-19-12, 05:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have both dsp settings on, treble in the middle and mids and bass a tick to the right. Sounds just about perfect for me. The bass is not overwhelming and the mids aren't muffled.
Old 12-19-12, 06:07 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i turned off the ASL, the bass and treble are set 2 tics from max, and my mids are at max. i prefer listening to the BTA rather than AM, FM or SAT. i rarely use pandora, iheart etc. the HD radio on reg channels, AM, FM sounds good also, much more clarity and crispness.
Old 12-19-12, 06:19 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you guys noticed how washed out XM stations sound compared to locals or other sources? Even NPR national on XM vs my local NPR station is like night and day. Is it a problem with XM technology or Levinson's implementation of it or what? Any ideas?
Old 12-19-12, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have bass turned 2 ticks from max, treble turned 1 tick from max and mid turned 1 tick above middle. I have ASL and Surround on.

Yes, the XM stations sound really washed out. They actually sounded crisper in the loaner I had without Mark Levinson. However, the iPod sounds great! I just returned a loaner CT with 10-speaker Premium system and the difference between that and the Mark Levinson in the GS is night and day.
Old 12-19-12, 10:07 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Have you guys noticed how washed out XM stations sound compared to locals or other sources? Even NPR national on XM vs my local NPR station is like night and day. Is it a problem with XM technology or Levinson's implementation of it or what? Any ideas?
I've noticed this also. The quality is night and day with xm and fm. I use the iPod now and am pleased with the quality. My only gripe is that after playing a song, it takes up to 20 seconds for the album art to come up and when this is occurring you can't access anything. I'm wondering if it has to do with the device seeing how I'm using an iPhone 3G as my dedicated iPod.
Old 12-20-12, 07:50 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I've noticed this also. The quality is night and day with xm and fm. I use the iPod now and am pleased with the quality. My only gripe is that after playing a song, it takes up to 20 seconds for the album art to come up and when this is occurring you can't access anything. I'm wondering if it has to do with the device seeing how I'm using an iPhone 3G as my dedicated iPod.
It's not just a problem with your iphone... I use an ipod classic (HD based) and see the same behavior... It's not on every song, but every 8 or so I'll run into the reading media blackout
Old 12-20-12, 08:50 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys are running bass really high, everything for mine is still in the middle and seems pretty good to me.

but i guess i will play around with it some more.
Old 12-20-12, 10:08 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Album art load time is dependant on the size of the album art embedded in the music file. If you have high quality album art it loads much more slowly then if you have small sized album art as downloaded from iTunes, etc. I used to "need" high quality, 600 x 600, album art but now use the smallest file size I can get. Also, the later version iPods have the ability to get data out of them faster than the older ones with quicker album art loading. I notice quite a difference when I use an iPod Touch Gen2 vs and iPod Touch Gen4 unit. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-12, 08:38 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by modthispny
you guys are running bass really high, everything for mine is still in the middle and seems pretty good to me.

but i guess i will play around with it some more.
I'm old. I spent a lot of time in clubs in the 80's and 90's, so the bass part of my hearing is gone.
Old 12-20-12, 10:29 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a salesperson tell me today that the stock radio sounds better than the ML...I cannot believe that, but will go test them out tomorrow. I have had ML on my last 2 GS's...an 06 and a 2010, and I really liked them. Did any of you compare them before buying on the 2013?
Old 12-20-12, 11:23 PM
akutob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I compared the 2 , actually had a deal closed on a non ML FSport and had my mind made up that I wasn't going to spend the extra $$$ for ML, as the other vehicle had ML, but also HU and DRS, which I didn't want to pay for. Once comparing the 2 sound differences I knew I had to have ML. Do not regret it at all, and love the HU as well.
Old 12-21-12, 09:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SKA430
I had a salesperson tell me today that the stock radio sounds better than the ML...I cannot believe that, but will go test them out tomorrow. I have had ML on my last 2 GS's...an 06 and a 2010, and I really liked them. Did any of you compare them before buying on the 2013?
He must have been trying to sell you a car they had in stock.
Old 12-21-12, 09:43 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
He must have been trying to sell you a car they had in stock.
You're right. I listened to both audio systems and definitely preferred the ML just as I have with my previous models.
Old 12-21-12, 10:38 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got F today... for some reason, the ML sound seems to be coming from the front... the bass is not that loud and the highs are sharp. Is that normal? I just need to tweak it right?

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson audio settings...