GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 04:49 PM
Phun4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery died for no reason

I went to start my GS in the garage this morning and nothing happened. I couldn't even open the trunk or turn on any interior lights. I checked the battery with a multi-meter and it shows 5.25V. So for whatever reason, the battery drained itself overnight. I'm positive no lights were left on or doors left open. So this is a total mystery to me.

Does anybody have any clue of what might have caused this? Also, if you know how to open the trunk after the battery dies, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

The car has been great for the first 7k miles and problem free until now.
Old 11-11-12, 05:44 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phun4GS
I went to start my GS in the garage this morning and nothing happened. I couldn't even open the trunk or turn on any interior lights. I checked the battery with a multi-meter and it shows 5.25V. So for whatever reason, the battery drained itself overnight. I'm positive no lights were left on or doors left open. So this is a total mystery to me.

Does anybody have any clue of what might have caused this? Also, if you know how to open the trunk after the battery dies, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

The car has been great for the first 7k miles and problem free until now.
Just use your mechanical key in the key fob to open the trunk from the outside.
Old 11-11-12, 09:25 PM
wla1mjd
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem on memorial day weekend (go figure). No lights were left on and it showed about 6 volts.
I ended up using a charger for about 6 hours and everything's been fine ever since. I figured I must have left a light on, but those LED's couldn't possibly draw enough power. Never figured it out, but everything's still running ok. Kinda weird.
Old 11-12-12, 05:37 PM
texasborn
Rookie

Happened to me last summer. Lexus sent roadside assistance to my house and jumped it. Took it to the dealer and everything checked out. They seemed to think I left my key fob in the car overnight (which will cause the battery to drain), but that wasn't the case.
Old 11-12-12, 06:48 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey folks, not sure if this helps, but my wife's car (Infiniti EX35) has an issue with leaving a phone/iPod plugged in while it's off. The puny little device drains the battery.

I don't ever leave anything plugged into my 4GS, so haven't had this issue. By chance did any of you leave an mp3 player or phone plugged in while it drained?
Old 11-13-12, 06:01 PM
GSFSport13
Driver School Candidate

This happened to me as well. The only thing I had plugged in was a usb charger
Old 11-13-12, 09:43 PM
Phun4GS
Driver School Candidate

The only thing I had plugged in at the time was an iPod cable, but not my iPod. I usually leave my cable plugged in even when no iPod is attached.
Old 11-14-12, 05:42 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problem. It appears that several people have had problems with the battery going dead and no one knows why. I think this should be reported to Lexus.
Old 12-10-12, 02:23 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I went out this afternoon to start my 2013 GS350 and found the battery was dead. Yes we have another GS350 with a dead battery. There were no lights left on, no open doors and I didn't leave any keys in the vehicle. I last used the car Saturday night and it was fine. I called Lexus roadside assistance and they called AAA.

AAA told me I had 5.9 volts in the battery. They told me that the alternator was fine but the battery did not appear to be charging correctly and should be replaced. They also said I had a higher than normal draw on the battery.. Since it was too late to get to the dealership before it closed they are going to have to come back again tomorrow. to jump the vehicle again so I can drive it to the dealership.

We will see what the dealership says tomorrow..
Old 12-10-12, 02:33 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Not a good sign.....I'm also noticing that my car struggles to start. Maybe my battery is dying as well? My 4 year old 3GS with its old battery would start right away.
Old 12-10-12, 03:30 PM
Steel21
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue past summer after just 2-3 weeks of ownership.
Old 12-10-12, 05:01 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do i smell a recall for a new gs for faulty batteries? Ill just say lexus batteries aren't the best, i replaced mine with duralast and its an awesome battery.
Old 12-12-12, 10:43 AM
roz1117
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am new to Club Lexus. I have looked around on the site but, never as a member. I came here specifically for the very problem most of you seem to be having/have had. I have a 04 GX470 with a little less than 100K miles. I replaced my battery about 2 months ago. Two weeks ago I got up for work my battery was dead. I mean I could not turn the key, the battery would not jump, it did nothing. It sat for a day until I was able to get a mechanic to look at the car. He tested the battery and said it was full. Had me turn on the car and it started with no problem. He checked the alternator and starter all were good. I still took the car to the dealer on Saturday and asked to have a diagnostic test run on her. It died in their driveway. They kept the car. Today they called me and said, it's nothing wrong with the car except the battery is dead. I find that hard to believe since I just replaced the battery. Any suggestions as to what I should ask them to look at?
Old 12-12-12, 10:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roz1117
Hi, I am new to Club Lexus. I have looked around on the site but, never as a member. I came here specifically for the very problem most of you seem to be having/have had. I have a 04 GX470 with a little less than 100K miles. I replaced my battery about 2 months ago. Two weeks ago I got up for work my battery was dead. I mean I could not turn the key, the battery would not jump, it did nothing. It sat for a day until I was able to get a mechanic to look at the car. He tested the battery and said it was full. Had me turn on the car and it started with no problem. He checked the alternator and starter all were good. I still took the car to the dealer on Saturday and asked to have a diagnostic test run on her. It died in their driveway. They kept the car. Today they called me and said, it's nothing wrong with the car except the battery is dead. I find that hard to believe since I just replaced the battery. Any suggestions as to what I should ask them to look at?
Maybe a defective battery or something draining it but a dealer service should have seen that..
Old 12-12-12, 01:38 PM
James5
Driver School Candidate

for those of you having battery issues, can you tell us when you bought your GS?

Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason