GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 07:03 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
Hey guys - noticed a bunch of you are still having battery issues: You really need to ride your dealer. My GS F had under 5000 miles and was less than a year old. If it sat longer than 3-5 days the battery would die. 5 times this happened and every time I would jump the car, or call Lexus service or have the car towed in, they'd do a battery test and tell me everything is fine. Finally I said take the car, get me a loaner and you let the car sit over 3 days. Guess what - the car would not start, they did another test and it turned out the battery had a bad cell. They changed the battery (it was obviously a warranty issue) and I have not had an issue since!! If you have a new GS under warranty and have had multiple dead batteries INSIST on a new battery! Hope this info helps!
Having the same issue, but mine is a 2013 ES350 (currently 1 yrs old/just hit 4K. Battery dies 6 times in the past year, dealer lets me replace it since I live 250 miles away (I get the best battery in town/brand new interstate). Anyway, had the new battery in for two weeks, and the car sits in the garage for 3 days, 4th day, click click click. I always leave it locked and nothing plugged in. WTF, jumped it for about 5 minutes, started and just got thru driving it to the dealer and getting a loaner! I am sure the dealer will say the battery is fine. They said something about letting it sit in sleep mode for a few days. WTH is that! Anyway this does not look promising! FYI, my car is garaged and the only thing I can think of is the keyfob is to close to the car. My master bedroom is right by my garage. Not sure though, purely speculating!

Last edited by sapd911; 09-17-14 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 08:37 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
Having the same issue, but mine is a 2013 ES350 (currently 1 yrs old/just hit 4K. Battery dies 6 times in the past year, dealer lets me replace it since I live 250 miles away (I get the best battery in town/brand new interstate). Anyway, had the new battery in for two weeks, and the car sits in the garage for 3 days, 4th day, click click click. I always leave it locked and nothing plugged in. WTF, jumped it for about 5 minutes, started and just got thru driving it to the dealer and getting a loaner! I am sure the dealer will say the battery is fine. They said something about letting it sit in sleep mode for a few days. WTH is that! Anyway this does not look promising! FYI, my car is garaged and the only thing I can think of is the keyfob is to close to the car. My master bedroom is right by my garage. Not sure though, purely speculating!
Have you tried deactivating your fob?
Old 09-17-14, 09:03 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Have you tried deactivating your fob?
Going to have the dealer do that tomorrow.
Old 09-18-14, 01:04 AM
Pilotpri
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texasborn
Happened to me last summer. Lexus sent roadside assistance to my house and jumped it. Took it to the dealer and everything checked out. They seemed to think I left my key fob in the car overnight (which will cause the battery to drain), but that wasn't the case.
I always leave my key fob in my car in my garage!!!..will that drain the battery????
Old 09-18-14, 11:05 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Going to have the dealer do that tomorrow.
Do it yourself: Holding down the lock button, press the unlock button twice (4 red blinks on fob is confirmation), then relase. As part of my troubleshooting process, I've been doing it everyday since my battery mysteriously died (4 mos ago). So far so good.
Old 09-18-14, 11:52 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

What happens when you deactivate the key fob? Does it not work no more, does the handles sensor not work?
Old 09-18-14, 12:14 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

What happens when you deactivate the key fob? Does it not work no more, does the handles sensor not work?
Correct. No signals are sent/searched. To reactivate, press any button on the fob.
Old 09-18-14, 12:34 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Thanks, called Lexus corporate, if the dealer doesn't find the problem Monday, the lemon law team at Lexus is my next contact. I doubt they will give in to me without a fight, ie, lawyer,ect!

Anyone know about Lemon Laws. Does Lexus pay me what its worth now, how much I owe, ect?
Old 09-18-14, 12:43 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law
Old 10-13-14, 06:20 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’d read this thread a while ago and thought this was uncommon and would not happen to me. I'm very careful with my car but when I heard it starting slow first thing in the morning for a couple weeks, I shrugged it off as me overreacting. I took a weekend trip and left the car parked in the garage from Thursday night through Sunday night. I made sure to unhook all electronics so nothing would potentially drain the battery while it was parked. Went to start the car this morning and it was completely dark (no lights at all). From that point I knew I was going to have a long morning. I called Lexus roadside assistance (AAA) and 2.5 hours and two tow truck drivers later I get the jump I need to drive the car to the dealership. I wait about an hour and the service adviser tells me that the car is all good to go. I ask what happened and how to avoid this problem going forward and she responded by saying just listen/pay attention to the car and when you hear it starting slow again bring it right in. I didn't even get a new battery, not that this would correct the real problem. I have had a car note for over 16 years because I don't want to deal with undependable cars as they get older. Yet here I am with a 2014 Lexus GS350, which I got in February of 2014, and I already have battery issues!! My 07 IS 350 didn't need a battery until 60k miles and 5 yrs after purchase. My 08 GS350 had it's original battery in it for over 40k miles and 5 yrs, but my 2014 already needs a battery or battery charge under 1 yr of ownership. Something is very wrong with this picture and Lexus needs to figure this out quick. What's the point of buying a premium Toyota if its not going to be dependable.
Old 11-16-14, 03:55 PM
Johnny8256
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery failure

I have had battery failures three times with my 2013 Lexus GS 350. In October of this year, Lexus had a factory technician check for electrical problems and, of course, they found none.
I would appreciate knowing whether Lexus ever found any electrical problems with anyone else's 2013 GS 350 models and, if so, what was done about the problem.
Thanks.
Johnny
Old 11-17-14, 08:25 AM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny8256
I have had battery failures three times with my 2013 Lexus GS 350. In October of this year, Lexus had a factory technician check for electrical problems and, of course, they found none.
I would appreciate knowing whether Lexus ever found any electrical problems with anyone else's 2013 GS 350 models and, if so, what was done about the problem.
Thanks.
Johnny
Had this same problem. I wrote about it in a earlier post (read for full details). It's not an electrical issue. 2013 GS's have been known to have a bad battery cell. Demand that your battery be changed now while the car is still under warranty.
Old 11-17-14, 08:26 AM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Software fix to resolve unexpected battery discharge issue

As I understand it, Lexus is able to replicate this problem, which is related to a software issue in the ECM. They are testing a recent software fix which has not been generally released. As someone who has been affected by this issue multiple times, the updated software is being tried in my 2013 GS350. After a couple of months use, the problem has not appeared. However, as this problem occurs in unpredictable intervals, a two-month test period may be long enough to draw a firm conclusion.
Old 11-18-14, 12:55 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusmavin
As I understand it, Lexus is able to replicate this problem, which is related to a software issue in the ECM. They are testing a recent software fix which has not been generally released. As someone who has been affected by this issue multiple times, the updated software is being tried in my 2013 GS350. After a couple of months use, the problem has not appeared. However, as this problem occurs in unpredictable intervals, a two-month test period may be long enough to draw a firm conclusion.
Dealer called and said my gateway ECU replacement will be here in a few days. Lexus said that is what is causing the battery to drain. Will get it replaced in a few weeks and will test to see if it is the fix! fingers crossed.
Old 11-26-14, 06:30 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Has anyone checked the water levels in their battery?

Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason