GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

What a weird problem...

I don't blame you for wanting a buyback. No matter how great a car it is, nothings worth putting up with these hassles and being worried about it leaving you stranded...
Old 03-10-14, 12:02 PM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 350F Battery Drain *Possible Solution

Originally Posted by rjm
Any chance you are leaving the key FOB in close proximity to the car when the car is not in use?
Well it's funny you mention this, I can only speak on the GS and the RX since I've never owned the other models. So I found a section in my GS manual that is not in my 2013 RX manual. So all of the Lexus models have a car "Battery-saving function" that keeps the cars battery from draining while the car is not in use. There is an example of this in the 2013 GS manual page 107. However ONLY in the 2013 GS manual is there a additional Electronic Key Battery Saving Function . This function turns off the remote FOB so that it does not emit or receive any radio signals, therefore your car will not "search" for the remote when the car is off. (By doing this there is no drain on your battery while it sits)

Manual States:
When the (cars) battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves.
Press the unlock button twice while pressing and holding down the lock button. Confirm that the electronic key indicator (on the remote) flashes 4 times.
While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart access system with push-button start cannot be used. To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.

The crazy thing is that non of the service technicians at the dealership where aware of this. They also stated that this isn't in the other cars manuals. I'm starting to think Lexus knows they have a battery drain FOB issue but haven't discussed with their service techs or dealerships!

I'm testing this process and hopefully this ends the nightmare of my car not starting every time it sits for 5 days or more.
Old 03-10-14, 02:50 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
This function turns off the remote FOB so that it does not emit or receive any radio signals, therefore your car will not "search" for the remote when the car is off. (By doing this there is no drain on your battery while it sits)
I learned from 4 prior BMW's to store the Key Fob out of range, in the farthest place in the house away from the garage, in order to keep the battery from being discharged overnight by continuous interrogation by the Fob.
Old 03-16-14, 11:05 PM
2013lgs350
Driver School Candidate

Omfg, I have the same problem right now! My battery is dead with just 900 mile! 2 months ago my friend's 13 gs350 had same issue and the dealer changed his baterry. I thought it was his luck that he bought a defect car since we bought both car at same time and same dealer. I was making fun of him now the joke is on me! Anyone know if this is a recall issue??? I will call Lexus tomorrow since too late now. Will update...
Old 03-18-14, 09:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Problem is the new tech in the cars and the battery Lexus is using... (Panasonic)

I left my IS F untouched for 20 days... It started right up with my Red Top Optima..

I've spoken to several Lexus Master techs.. Some are saying its hit or miss on a bad battery..

But there is too much evidence suggesting its more than just a bad batch..

The probelm has been around since the launch back in early 2012..

~ Joe Z
Old 03-18-14, 09:39 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a common thing with BMWs if the cars sit untouched for extended periods of time (a week or so). That's why they strongly recommend a battery charger plugged into the cigarette lighter while the car sits. Hopefully, this isn't the same issue here or another Lexus recall is in order.
Old 03-24-14, 06:31 PM
rrozzoni
Driver School Candidate

Any success with this "battery saving function" process?

Also, has anyone been made aware of exactly "what" is really causing this problem and does anyone know if Lexus/Toyota has come up with any sort of fix?

My 2013 GS350 has now also had the battery "depleted" twice in the past 3 weeks. The car is 15 months old with 9,500 miles and this problem has now just surfaced out of the blue. In the last case the car sat for 22 hours in our garage and when we tried to start it yesterday, we heard the infamous clicking sound and the car would not start. The battery voltage had dropped to 6.8 volts overnight during those 22 hours. Nothing was left on and the key FOB was in the kitchen upstairs (other side of the house) and pretty far from the car. The car is currently at the dealership and they are trying to replicate the problem. After checking today the dealership could not find anything wrong (no surprise after reading all of the posts on this problem). The mystery continues..... Thx!
Old 03-24-14, 11:00 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this same problem a hike back when the car had less than 5k miles. I called the Lexus Roadside service and the tech came out and replaced the Panasonic with a black Lexus battery. I never had the problem again. I travel for work and the car sits for 4-5 days no problem. I've also gone for vacation a whole month literally and no problem. It's not the car it's the bad battery guys
Old 03-25-14, 05:47 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh
I had this same problem a hike back when the car had less than 5k miles. I called the Lexus Roadside service and the tech came out and replaced the Panasonic with a black Lexus battery. I never had the problem again. I travel for work and the car sits for 4-5 days no problem. I've also gone for vacation a whole month literally and no problem. It's not the car it's the bad battery guys
You may be right, but I too had the problem once when the car was new. I had it jumped, and left it at the dealer overnight, but hey found no problems and did not replace the battery. I had the car since February 2012, now have 26,000 miles on the odometer, and never had the problem again, even after leaving it in the garage many times for several days and up to a week at a time. So it could be pure luck that it never happened again. My original battery seems to be fine. This is a very weird problem.
Old 03-25-14, 04:06 PM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2013 GS 350F Battery Keeps Dying!

Originally Posted by rrozzoni
Any success with this "battery saving function" process?

Also, has anyone been made aware of exactly "what" is really causing this problem and does anyone know if Lexus/Toyota has come up with any sort of fix?

My 2013 GS350 has now also had the battery "depleted" twice in the past 3 weeks. The car is 15 months old with 9,500 miles and this problem has now just surfaced out of the blue. In the last case the car sat for 22 hours in our garage and when we tried to start it yesterday, we heard the infamous clicking sound and the car would not start. The battery voltage had dropped to 6.8 volts overnight during those 22 hours. Nothing was left on and the key FOB was in the kitchen upstairs (other side of the house) and pretty far from the car. The car is currently at the dealership and they are trying to replicate the problem. After checking today the dealership could not find anything wrong (no surprise after reading all of the posts on this problem). The mystery continues..... Thx!
Well I tried the "battery saving function" (as I stated I would in my previous post) and my car died 2 more times. Dealership couldn't find anything wrong AGAIN. So when I went to start it Monday after being out of town for 3 days guess what happened? That's right, it wouldn't start. I jumped started it using my wife's car, went to work, then brought it to the dealership this morning. This time when they tested everything the battery levels were off and super low, but the alternator readings where right. After further tests it turned out that the BRAND NEW battery on my BRAND NEW car had a bad cell in it. It's been replaced I really hope that was the problem - we will see!
Old 03-26-14, 06:32 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kh4nh
I called the Lexus Roadside service and the tech came out and replaced the Panasonic with a black Lexus battery. I never had the problem again.
I looked at my battery. The bottom is white and the top is black. It says "A product of Toyota" on the top.
So, what battery do I have???

Edited to add: I rechecked my battery with a good flashlight. It is a Panasonic. It is black on top with a white body. On the front of the body at the very bottom there are large letters that say "PANASONIC". Letters on the top of the battery say "80D26R" and the specs say:
20 HR
70 AH
CCA 580 A
D26

So far I have had no problems with this battery.......yet.

Last edited by rjm; 03-27-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 09:29 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I looked at my battery. The bottom is white and the top is black. It saya "A product of Toyota" on the top.
Other than that, no brand name. It does not say "Panasonic" on it.

So, what battery do I have???
Mine def said Panasonic, and it had clear white translucent plastic. You could sort of see the battery fluids through the plastic.

I remember the tech tried to jump the battery and no luck so he just replaced it. Try to call Roadside assistance, if they can't fix it maybe they will just replace your battery with a fresh one.
Old 03-28-14, 06:44 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

I'd hate to have to buy a new battery from Lexus. They retail for over $1100 and that doesn't include installation.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2013.html

Is this a ripoff or not?
Old 03-28-14, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Doesn't surprise me...just don't buy a battery from Lexus lol. Its a standard battery.

This is what you have to understand...there are only a couple companies that make batteries. So, regardless of the brand, its very common to see the identical battery branded several different ways. My guess is even if your white body/black top battery says "Product of Toyota" and not "Panasonic" on it, it is the same Panasonic battery that others have that says "Panasonic".
Old 03-28-14, 07:23 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Doesn't surprise me...just don't buy a battery from Lexus lol. Its a standard battery.

Is the Lexus battery an AGM battery?

Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason