Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 05:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Oil once a month..???

I seriously hope not...!!

If your RX is running conventional oil it's every 5k miles or once a year..
Checking the oil once a month is a good idea..

If you'd RX is running factory recommended synthetic oil, it's going to be 10k miles or once a year.
Checking the oil once a month is a good idea.

Happy Holidays

Joe Z
Not the oil.
Just the battery charge.

I do around 5K per miles so I do a yearly synthetic oil and filter change.
Old 01-08-16, 03:42 PM
matadores3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dead battery

Purchased 2014 Lexus ES350 with remote starter in May 2014. Car is housed in my garage which has an automatic garage opener. Key is kept inside the house. No problem for the 1st 11 months, which included a 16 day garage stay at my house while on vacation.
End of April 2015 with just over 4000 miles, the car's battery was replaced by the dealership because of 2 bad cells. The car had not be been used for 3 days prior.
In June 2015 took a 9 day vacation, car remained in the garage and no problem on return.
End of July 2015 battery was dead after not being used for 3 days (mileage: 5,153). Dealership just charged it and found no parasitic draining.
Took a 11 day vacation in September, car stayed in garage and no problem.
Middle of December, 2015 battery dead (mileage: 6651) after not using it for 3 days. Battery was replaced by another dealership.
Conclusion: Both dealerships blame me for lack of use of car and recommend a battery tender. One dealership also suggested running the car for 1/2 hour every 2-3 days if not being used.
I am disgusted because I can not rely on the car.
It is a mystery. Car is fine when I am away. Someone mentioned WIFI might drain the battery, but the car was not affected for the first 11 months. I also saw on this thread about replacing the battery with another non-Lexus issued battery. Perhaps this might be the next step.
Old 01-10-16, 06:22 PM
paul325740
Driver School Candidate

Default Join the club!

Originally Posted by matadores3
Purchased 2014 Lexus ES350 with remote starter in May 2014. Car is housed in my garage which has an automatic garage opener. Key is kept inside the house. No problem for the 1st 11 months, which included a 16 day garage stay at my house while on vacation.
End of April 2015 with just over 4000 miles, the car's battery was replaced by the dealership because of 2 bad cells. The car had not be been used for 3 days prior.
In June 2015 took a 9 day vacation, car remained in the garage and no problem on return.
End of July 2015 battery was dead after not being used for 3 days (mileage: 5,153). Dealership just charged it and found no parasitic draining.
Took a 11 day vacation in September, car stayed in garage and no problem.
Middle of December, 2015 battery dead (mileage: 6651) after not using it for 3 days. Battery was replaced by another dealership.
Conclusion: Both dealerships blame me for lack of use of car and recommend a battery tender. One dealership also suggested running the car for 1/2 hour every 2-3 days if not being used.
I am disgusted because I can not rely on the car.
It is a mystery. Car is fine when I am away. Someone mentioned WIFI might drain the battery, but the car was not affected for the first 11 months. I also saw on this thread about replacing the battery with another non-Lexus issued battery. Perhaps this might be the next step.
sorry to hear that, this is what my service advisor told me " You didn't drive this car enough, you have to drive this car longer so battery will fully charge" seriously ? I never heard of this bull...t! I have notice that when I am not drive my car just one day. next day it will died. I had called LEXUS USA 1 month ago. They said the same thing that I have to drive my car more. I told them I live in small town and normally take about 15-20 minutes to work. So they sent me a Brand New LEXUS battery tender. They said I have to plug this to my car every night. I'm so sick of this problem. My car has only 4,500 miles and it is 2015 with 2 new battery.
Old 01-13-16, 12:38 PM
matadores3
Driver School Candidate

That is terrible that battery problems are occurring for 2015 models.

I wanted to update my 1/8/16 posting - Decided to write to the management at my dealership on my car battery problem. The reply was that it could be a car computer problem. It was refreshing not to blamed again for the problem.

They installed a new gateway ECU. I did mention that someone on this forum had it done, but the battery did fail again. They said the software has been updated, but time will tell if this corrects the problem.
Old 01-28-16, 08:27 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I would update this...

Last week, I was home sick and knowing that if i don't drive the car for more then a day it seems the battery dies and I have to jump start it as it been reported and has happened to me. I took a drive for about 45 minutes on the highway. Figured it was enough to get the engine going again. Before heading to my parents I stopped off at Starbucks for a coffee. Went in got my coffee maybe was in there at most 5 minutes. Car didn't start. Lucky I wasn't far from my parents house and asked my mom to bring over the jumper unit thingy. Car started up, went home. Got sicker and couldn't be bothered with it. When I was feeling better I jumped it again, had it run for about 30 minutes, went to the mall about 20 minutes away. Did some shopping and got lunch. (maybe an hour) went to my car and it was dead. I couldn't even open the doors. I had to use the key to get in. Luckily I had the jumper pack with me. Fed up and went straight to my dealer. I dropped it off and was told it wouldn't be ready today. Saturday was a blizzard so it was ready Tuesday. They magically had a tech there and replaced the Gateway ECU unit even though it wasn't coming up as an error or fault and replaced it out of courtesy. Since I have the prepaid maintenance and it was almost time, I told them to do the maintenance on it. Said it would be ready Wednesday. Go pick it up on Wednesday and everything was ok. Today, I walked out to my car and i happen to take notice that there was something red stuck in my tailpipe. I thought it was a leaf or something no big deal. Went to go grab it and was shocked what I pulled out. it was shop towel/torn T-shirt with stains on it. I called up my dealer/advisor as this could have been extremely hazardous for which i thought was obvious reason. When I got my advisor on the phone he said it was no big deal just pull it out.... yeah thanks I already did that... How about the fact that a fire could have started or you know this thing called carbon monoxide. He said he would let the tech know... Thanks

Lexus my have you changed since my mom's first lexus in 95

#EndOfRant
Old 06-03-16, 08:29 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

count me in with car not starting on 1 day of non driving. my wife started car this morning and ticking noise. had to jumpstart the car to get it to start. 2013 gs350. 47k miles. first time this has happened.
Old 06-03-16, 10:26 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

after lexus changed to the "lexus" battery my car didn't die no more, the oem is the Panasonic one.
Old 07-12-16, 10:01 AM
Phun4GS
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to give some updates on my battery issues.
11/11/2012 - battery drained. jumped and recharged.
5/24/2014 - battery completely drained. dealer replaced battery.
12/13/2014 - battery completely drained. dealer replaced battery.
5/15/2015 - battery drained. dealer replaced gateway ECM.
7/12/2016 - no more battery problems as of today...knock on wood...

In addition to my battery problems, I also had front park sensor failure and headunit bluetooth failure, all replaced under warranty. Rear shock also leaking 2 months after warranty expired, and replaced out of pocket. Also got rear ended twice (luckily at slow speed). But still enjoying my ride and knocking on wood everyday

Last edited by Phun4GS; 07-12-16 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 07:27 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by sab504
count me in with car not starting on 1 day of non driving. my wife started car this morning and ticking noise. had to jumpstart the car to get it to start. 2013 gs350. 47k miles. first time this has happened.
Happened to me while parked in a parking lot for a few hours of our hotel a few weeks ago. Also have a '13 with similar mileage. Initially loaded the car with luggage around noon and went back 3hrs later and battery was dead - had only enough juice to open the driver door with the key fob.

Jump started and no problems since (been two weeks). Also have the cold wthr pkg with the "heavy duty battery."
Old 09-01-16, 08:12 AM
brhaviland
Driver School Candidate

Default Dead again!

I had a GS for 10 years...no problems (accept A/C)
I've owned 2008 LS460 for 4 years and today it will get the 4th battery in 4 years. There's no warning...just go to start in the morning and ...dead as a door nail.
They've never been able to jump it....They have to drag it out of the garage.
There is definately and issue here...
Old 09-02-16, 05:09 PM
GSteve
Driver School Candidate

New battery on my 2013 GS three weeks ago, replaced original due to age/signs of weakness. Parked last night around 6pm, completely dead this morning. First time it's happened to me but I had read this thread before so I boosted and took it to the dealer who tested everything to be fine. Service advisor asked me (6 times) if I left anything on or a door/trunk open. Definitely not since I locked the car, was sitting outside last night and would have noticed any lights. I asked her to go leave a door open and try locking the car to see what happens. She didn't bother - enough said.

This battery issue is very unnerving and it's ridiculous that I should have to carry jumper cables "just in case", particularly with a brand new battery!
Old 09-02-16, 05:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteve
New battery on my 2013 GS three weeks ago, replaced original due to age/signs of weakness. Parked last night around 6pm, completely dead this morning. First time it's happened to me but I had read this thread before so I boosted and took it to the dealer who tested everything to be fine. Service advisor asked me (6 times) if I left anything on or a door/trunk open. Definitely not since I locked the car, was sitting outside last night and would have noticed any lights. I asked her to go leave a door open and try locking the car to see what happens. She didn't bother - enough said.

This battery issue is very unnerving and it's ridiculous that I should have to carry jumper cables "just in case", particularly with a brand new battery!
I find it strange also (and unnerving like you) that your 2013 GS 350 had no symptoms of battery issues prior to replacing the battery simply due to typical/normal signs of age/weakness. And only after a new battery was installed did this dead battery problem arise. It makes me wonder what triggered this battery issue all of a sudden, which was not a problem for the 3-4 years prior. Very strange indeed.

I personally would find it difficult to trust that this doesn't happen again...and at a very inopportune time. If you learn what was done to trigger this problem, please let us know. However, something tells me that no one will ever know for sure what actually caused this battery issue to come about.

Good luck...
Old 10-02-16, 08:05 AM
LazPalma
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my 14 GS a week ago clean CarFax and an off lease vehicle with 29k miles. I drove it Saturday and when I went to get in it this morning just heard the typical tick tick tick of a dead battery. I jumped it no problem, but I find it weird that I had an issue. I'm going to see how it goes and take it to the dealer if I continue to have an issue since I'm still in the factory warranty. Most of the posts on here are 13 GS's so I was mainly wondering if a large number of 14's have had an issue too?
Old 10-03-16, 07:18 AM
markpjoyce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sab504
I am having the same issue which came up after 42,000 miles. Did it keep happening to you?
Old 10-06-16, 10:39 PM
gadgetguy1
Driver School Candidate

I experienced the same dead battery with no prior notice on 3) GS350's: 2) 2007, and a 2009.So I just bought a portable jump starter with air compressor for my 14' F Sport & my wife's 15' GS350. It stays in the trunk. So, if I am in a remote area & experience a battery fail, as I did once before, I can simply connect 2) alligator jumpers and I am off to the races.
Plus, I ask the dealer to load test the battery during every oil change. They found a battery ready to fail during an oil change early this year.

The GS350, and a car with similar technology, is tough on batteries. When you start the car, auto headlights, the sound system, computers, and everything else that is on with ignition starts up, drawing battery power before you engage the starter. This is extremely difficult on the battery and will result in shortened battery life.

Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason