GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS vs A6

Old 11-01-12, 02:20 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS vs A6

I have plans to buy the new GS, but I'm a bit shocked that some of the things I expected as standard features are options. The items I am regarding to are heated/ventilated seats and dynamic headlights.

My current IS, those two options were available as stand-alones, but not the dynamic headlights for the GS. A huge package needs to be purchased and it brings up the costs to something I am not too comfortable with.

With that, I looked at Audi's A6. It starts with a lower base price, but also less standard features. However, it appears the GS isn't all that of a steal compared to the A6?

I appreciate your input.
Old 11-01-12, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I think you'll be surprised by what things are options on the A6, for instance you have to get the Prestige model to get a power tilt/telescopic steering wheel...
Old 11-01-12, 03:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i beg to differ young man... the GS fully optioned is a steal compared to a fully optioned A6. doesn't matter which model GS except for the Hybrid which is pricey with and without options. what are Dynamic lights? if you want H/V rear seats you need the Luxury model GS.
Old 11-01-12, 04:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

However, it appears the GS isn't all that of a steal compared to the A6?
Well you can compare specs but in terms of driving feel and engagement, the GS is currently a segment leader
Old 11-01-12, 05:34 PM
Mojo122
Driver

I took a long hard look at the A6 and ended up with F-Sport and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-01-12, 08:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll weigh in on the A6, since I traded an S5 Cab for more usability. The A6 would have been a logical step, since I was totally satisfied with my S5, but I thought the exterior looks were bland, the interior was too fussy (although very upscale) and there were lots of complaints from owners about the seats (not as comfy and sport-oriented as the GS). Also, the general concensus was that the sound from the BOSE system was really poor. One can upgrade to B&O, but as I recall it is over $6,000 as an option. That takes it way above the GS price range.

The biggest positive for the A6 is the 3.0 Supercharged engine. It could really haul in my S5 and torque was available throughout the band. However, I find the GS has more than adequate pickup and the sound piped into the cabin when you step on it is intoxicating. The fuel economy is also slightly better.

I would have gone for an A7 as far as exterior looks, but the interior didn't do it for me and there have been lots of complaints about A7 road noise on the Audi forums, apparently related to the hatchback design.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-02-12, 11:09 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost all auto makers offer pricey option packages, and the Germans are probably the worst of the lot (I'm looking at you, "$1,000 to turn on the Rudolph's nose security light", BMW)..

On the A6, one has to check the Premium Plus option to get xenon headlights with LED DRLs, a Parking system with rear view camera, Audi MMI® Navigation plus, Audi advanced keyless entry and HD Radio. The Premier package has to be selected to get ventilated front seats and adaptive headlights with cornering lamps. Even things like rear side airbags and window sunshades are options.

I think the pricing differences will be marginal in a true apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 11-03-12, 04:57 AM
2013F
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the A6 before the GS. The A6 was $4k more to be equipped with the options of the F-Sport. Add that to Lexus reliablity and quality, the GS F-Sport was the obvious choice.
Old 11-10-12, 05:53 PM
xyzstudio
Rookie

agree with u, i had a4 n a5 and i love the quattro and i had so much fun with it before i pick up a 350f , i was gonna go with a7 i love ext and int, however it couldnt fit in my garage ( too long) so i end up with 350f, i tested drive the a7 the new engine and transmission they have on are great. so far i have my new 350f jz less a month, i really can not commend on it. but remember my 1st choice was audi. lexus still a Japanese's car after all.

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'll weigh in on the A6, since I traded an S5 Cab for more usability. The A6 would have been a logical step, since I was totally satisfied with my S5, but I thought the exterior looks were bland, the interior was too fussy (although very upscale) and there were lots of complaints from owners about the seats (not as comfy and sport-oriented as the GS). Also, the general concensus was that the sound from the BOSE system was really poor. One can upgrade to B&O, but as I recall it is over $6,000 as an option. That takes it way above the GS price range.

The biggest positive for the A6 is the 3.0 Supercharged engine. It could really haul in my S5 and torque was available throughout the band. However, I find the GS has more than adequate pickup and the sound piped into the cabin when you step on it is intoxicating. The fuel economy is also slightly better.

I would have gone for an A7 as far as exterior looks, but the interior didn't do it for me and there have been lots of complaints about A7 road noise on the Audi forums, apparently related to the hatchback design.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-10-12, 08:54 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

"still a Japanese's car after all"

You say that like it's a bad thing. You might have been right in the past in that the Germans used to have the monopoly on ride and handling that the Japanese brands couldn't emulate.

However, with the new GS, Lexus has beaten the Germans at their own game. So yes, Lexus GS is a Japanese car with Japanese reliability and quality AND NOW German-beating handling/ride.
Old 11-11-12, 08:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
"still a Japanese's car after all"

You say that like it's a bad thing. You might have been right in the past in that the Germans used to have the monopoly on ride and handling that the Japanese brands couldn't emulate.

However, with the new GS, Lexus has beaten the Germans at their own game. So yes, Lexus GS is a Japanese car with Japanese reliability and quality AND NOW German-beating handling/ride.
Japanese reliability and German-beating handling/ride... hard to beat that combination!
Old 11-14-12, 05:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I spent about 2 hours today at an Audi dealer, drove an A6 3.0 Prestige with pretty much everything, sticker was $64k. This car had a $6k package I wouldn't want consisting of heads up display, adaptive cruise, around view camera (which is very cool). So, optioned how I would want would basically be $58.5k...comparable to a Luxury model GS.

I *really* like the car by the way, the A6.

I did have them work up some numbers, and I think a significant negative to the A6 compared to the GS (or the E or 5) is the lease support from Audi. The leases are terrible, low residuals (residual on the just out 2013 is only 53% compared to 61% for the GS). Equally equipped, the GS is much cheaper to lease.

I gotta say, if the leases were similar I might choose the A6...I really might, but I'm not going to pay a lot more per month for it.
Old 11-14-12, 06:29 PM
wayner
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I did have them work up some numbers, and I think a significant negative to the A6 compared to the GS (or the E or 5) is the lease support from Audi. The leases are terrible, low residuals (residual on the just out 2013 is only 53% compared to 61% for the GS). Equally equipped, the GS is much cheaper to lease.

I gotta say, if the leases were similar I might choose the A6...I really might, but I'm not going to pay a lot more per month for it.
As Baetta said - If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Buy it outright, it's a luxury car not a Chevy.

My biggest annoyance is that Lexus, at least Lexus Canada, doesn't give you a deal if you want to pay cash for the car. But they will let you finance at 0% for 4 years. If that has a value of something like $2k then give me $2k off the cash price, don't futz around with financing.
Old 11-14-12, 07:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, no interest in buying a luxury car outright, sorry. I lease for business and trade every 3 years anyways, buying would make absolutely no sense for me, whether I financed or paid cash. Thanks for the unsolicited financial advice but I've got it figured out.
Old 11-14-12, 07:19 PM
82nd
Driver School Candidate

After owning several german two-door fun cars. I will take the reliability and customer servicxe of lexus anyday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS vs A6