New member in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 07:52 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member in need of help

Hi all,

New here to the fourm, so first wanted to say "Hi" to everyone.

We have never owned a Lexus but last year I got to drive a RX350h and although I liked the comfort of the car and the luxury aspect of it, driving was not so fun.

We have a BMW 3 series and a Toyota rav4. wife drives the bmw and i drive the Rav 4 V6.

I have a long commute of 1+ hr one way everyday and want a camfortable car. The bmw 3 series is great car but we leaased it,dont want to own t after ist out of warranty.

I have always liked the interiors of Lexus, it's so refined and the setas looks so comfortable.

I am thikning about the new ES300h, but I don't know much about hybrids and particularly this car. WIll it be boring to drive, I know it will not be a 3 series driving experience, becuase after the initial months or luxy and comfort I don't want the driving to get boring.
I like the look and the interior of the 300h and the gas milage. but its a sedan,
Can you guys (owners) of 300h give me some insight into the car.

I posted this first on the ES forum and someone recommend that I look at the GS series since it will handle more like the BMWs. I started reading some posts here and the GS 350 looks awesome and I can't waitto test drive it, but the price and the MPG are in favor of the ES300h.

Any suggestions from the owners, I don't know what to do. Mind says ES300h , but heart is pulling me towards the GS350

Anyone from Delaware? which dealership have you had good experiennce with? which SA?
Old 10-25-12, 08:47 AM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from an 03 es300, the car got boring, it was a great comfy ride. I dont think i will ever get bored from my gs-fsport.
Old 10-25-12, 09:15 AM
2013F
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2011 ES350. The car gave a great ride and the power was nice for a luxury sedan. I just prefer the 2013 GS350 F Sport, it's more of a sports sedan and more fun to drive.
Old 10-25-12, 09:29 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting question. Here's my $0.02.

I have owned the 335i and the RAV4 V6. The BMW was an absolute blast to drive. Its steering seemed like an extension of the driver, and its torque was addictive. However, I grew tired of the myriad issues with electricals and leaks, and with having to replace the run-flat tires every 15k miles. Its interior also seemed a little sparse for the amount of money I paid for it. The RAV was the perfect family vehicle - safe, reliable, and capable of schlepping lots of stuff. It was almost overpowered, as I could get the tires to squeal fairly easily if I wanted to. However, it is a no frills vehicle, and you can tell it is built to a strict price point.

I drove a 2012 ES (non hybrid) for a few days, and I found it to be quiet, capable and very comfortable. But coming from the 335, it seemed too insulating and disconnected. No joy in driving it. In a word, boring.

The GS, on the other hand, seems to have a Jekyll/Hyde personality to it, and you can summon up either personality with a twist of the driving mode ****. Stay in Eco mode, and you can putter around town in ES-like fashion. Slip it into S+ mode, mash the gas pedal and savor the snarl from the engine bay as you are quickly reminded why you don't miss the 335. The steering isn't as telegraphic as the 335, but it's close. The suspension is the right blend of firm and feathery. It hits all the right notes for me, which are:
- rear wheel drive
- big car comfort with small car flingability
- sublime seats and cabin material quality
- superb fit and finish
- excellent audio system (I have the ML)
- very well tuned NVH characteristics
- bullet proof reliability
- lots of screens, *****, buttons and technology to keep the geek in me happy

In summary, it is far from boring, and I'm loving it.
Old 10-25-12, 10:04 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not clear - your wife drives the BMW and you drive the 3-series... but you talk about the 1-hour commute (which I presume you do in the RAV4). So are we comparing the 3-series driveability to the ES, or the Rav4?

My feeling is you need to drive both and maybe even ask to borrow them for a day or two and do the commute. While I love my GS350 and would buy it all over again, with experience I have found that nothing is a good replacement for living a day in the life of yourself.

I'll give you the example of my aunt, who wanted a BMW for driveability after her '91 Camry (15 years strong!) refused to die (my cousin is now driving it). Bought the BMW, and thought it was too harsh and hated the reliability. coming from regularly driving her Camry. She was told by a friend to get a Mercedes for luxury and comfort. Similar issue, and she also found that both cars were weak on technology and luxury.

I spoke to her a couple of months ago... and I'm pretty sure her next car is back to an ES (Camry-ish drive but more luxury). Took her a good 6-7 years to get to that point. Hopefully she likes the ES as much as I suggested she will.
Old 10-25-12, 10:23 AM
tin369
Rookie

I apologize if my post was confusing. My wife drives teh 3 series and I drive the Rav4.

Want to replace the RAV4, its a great suv for hauling stuff etc, but I want something new and comfortable, which I feel I can get from Lexus, but on th eweekdns when I take the 3 series out for a ride its so much fun, So while I want my everyday commute car to be comofrtabel I also want it to be a little fun car.

I like the fact that GS 350 dies that, but I think its over my budget, maybe ina couple of years.
Old 10-25-12, 11:10 AM
tin369
Rookie

Do you guys hae the AWD or the FWD. Is there a differrence? I gues living here in the northeast it would be a good idea to get the AWD.

Also, do you guys lease or by? like with a BMW is a not brainer or any german cars to not own them after their warry period is up so most of the BMW customers are leasing.

But with Lexus that is not an issue.I would like to hear your opinions
Old 10-25-12, 11:17 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
Do you guys hae the AWD or the FWD. Is there a differrence? I gues living here in the northeast it would be a good idea to get the AWD.

Also, do you guys lease or by? like with a BMW is a not brainer or any german cars to not own them after their warry period is up so most of the BMW customers are leasing.

But with Lexus that is not an issue.I would like to hear your opinions
Captain Obvious says the GS is not FWD.
Old 10-25-12, 11:51 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuxoRocket
Captain Obvious says the GS is not FWD.
Think he might be bouncing back to the ES...as he's stated that the GS would fulfill all of his desires, he's not quite sure it fits the wallet at this point.

Please correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 10-25-12, 12:01 PM
tin369
Rookie

I mean RWD
Old 10-26-12, 02:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

What about a used 4th Gen GS450h?

Fuel efficiency (obviously not on par with a ES300h) , Reliability AND Driving Appeal.

Kill all 3 birds with 1 stone.
Old 10-26-12, 04:14 AM
flyman
Driver School Candidate

this is my new lexus and i love it
Old 10-26-12, 07:24 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
What about a used 4th Gen GS450h?

Fuel efficiency (obviously not on par with a ES300h) , Reliability AND Driving Appeal.

Kill all 3 birds with 1 stone.
Are there a lot of used 4GS hybrids available in your area?
Old 10-26-12, 10:44 AM
tin369
Rookie

From lexus website payment calculator this is what I got for a lease. Does it look right? am I missing something?

Lease a 2013 GS
350 3.5L V6 306hp, Rear Wheel Drive
with 15,000 miles/year for 36 months.

Estimated Cap Cost
$47,775

Down Payment

-$0
Net Trade-in Value

-$12,000

Estimated Adjusted Gross Cap Cost
$35,775

Estimated monthly payment
$347
with $1,047 due at lease signing.
Old 10-29-12, 04:32 PM
Onetrade
Driver School Candidate

Just got my GS and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I had a 2003 GS430 and loved that, just got rid of my 2011 Mercedes E350 Bluetec, hated it.

ES300H is nice, GS350 is nicer. At the end of the day it is all about what is within your budget.

I do not trust those payment calculators, they are always way off. What about 1st moth payment? Bank fee? Registration? Down payment? Delaware Document fee? Taxes? etc...
Here is a calculation for a 2013 GS350 AWD for Delaware:
MSRP: 55,927.00
Invoice: 52,817.00
$1500 taxable conquest rebate
$1000 less invoice
Total sale price: $50,317
$0 Down Payment
27 month lease
12k miles per year
$543/month
Appx $3500 + MV due at signing (including first month, bank fee, Delaware taxes)

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: New member in need of help