GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

For those who installed a subwoofer....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 08:09 PM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who installed a subwoofer....

Can anyone tell me which wire you used to tap to as the remote? I am planning on installing an amp and sub and need to figure out where to install the remote wire from the LOC...any help would be appreciated! THANKS
Old 10-20-12, 04:50 PM
ego29iste
Driver School Candidate

A topic near and dear to my heart cause I could not locate a model with the ML audio. I have gotten used to the regular audio and it is decent but once in awhile the thought of upgrading the speakers and adding a sub crosses my mind. Then I start thinking about some the installer drilling holes in my baby and new rattles that might come around so I end up staying put. If Lexus puts out a compelling mid year refresh with more power and features and the competitors have not caught up I might think about an upgrade and this time securing one with the ML audio. Good luck in your search. Please do post pictures if you do go down this path and make upgrades.

Last edited by ego29iste; 10-20-12 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 05:58 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just added an amp to my premium system. Go here, get a two day subscription for $15 and you can print out the wiring schematic for the audio system. It is separated by 12 speaker (premium audio) and 17 speaker (Mark Levinson).
Old 10-20-12, 07:26 PM
ego29iste
Driver School Candidate

@Mixman - what is the difference once you added the amp to the sound? Which particular amp model did you add? How straight forward was the installation process? Any other upgrades planned?
Old 10-20-12, 08:34 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=Mixman;7553871]I just added an amp to my premium system. Go here, get a two day subscription for $15 and you can print out the wiring schematic for the audio system. It is separated by 12 speaker (premium audio) and 17 speaker vinson).[/QUOTE
Hi,Iwas gonna do the same thing,so how does it sound, let us know, and any pics u have that would be awsome.
Old 10-21-12, 01:42 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

I added my JL 500/1 to the car. Right now I am just using the 8"JBL sub I borrowed from my wife's Acadia. It's alright so far, about as good as an 8" can get, without blowing it up with the 500/1.

The main problem in our cars is what many consider it's best......noise isolation. You really have to crank the sub to be felt/heard in the passenger compartment. This is why I see many in the audio forum recommend that you take the current sub out so the bass can better get into the cabin from the trunk, but I have a lease and I am not about to start tearing up my car for more bass. I also hear that it is a pita to get to that rear sub. The rear seats have to come out. So my plan is to overwhelm the isolation, by trying out a 10" first. I have a Boston 10" G3 and box coming in next week, so I will see if that 's enough. If not, I will return that combo and do a strong 12" like an IDMax, JBL 12 GTi or SSA Gcon/Icon. I am trying the least expensive solution first, but if that doesn't work, well I have to bring out the big guns!

Oh...I did change out the left and right 3.5 inchers in the dash for Infinity Kappa 329f's. Big improvement. I might try to push it even more by adding some 4" Focal Coaxs. Doing the measurements to see if they will fit, without major modifications....It's going to be close.

Last edited by Mixman; 10-21-12 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-21-12, 08:56 AM
alex206
Rookie

Default Speaker sizes

One of my next projects would be to switch out all the speakers for aftermarket ones...anyone know where to find out all the sizes without having to takin it apart first!? Thanks
Old 10-22-12, 11:27 AM
nkohlimd
Driver School Candidate

Default Great thread

In my zeal to get the car as soo as possible when it came out, I settled on the non-ML version and now I am kncking myself-would love to upgrade the speakers if it's not to difficult. Mixman, thanks for your post. Quick questions-was the Infinity front speaker an easy install-any more than remove the old and connect the new? Any details, specifics and advice would be much appreciated-thanks
Old 10-22-12, 01:10 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nkohlimd
In my zeal to get the car as soo as possible when it came out, I settled on the non-ML version and now I am kncking myself-would love to upgrade the speakers if it's not to difficult. Mixman, thanks for your post. Quick questions-was the Infinity front speaker an easy install-any more than remove the old and connect the new? Any details, specifics and advice would be much appreciated-thanks

The Infinity's do drop in and wiring them up is pretty simple. i have to check my wiring chart when I get home to tell you positive and negative. Only on of the two screws will fit to hold it down, since regular 3.5 inchers are smaller that the OEM. Right now I am only using one screw to hold it down and because of the pressure from the Lexus grill, they stay in place.

I have tried several of the 3.5's like Polks, Boston Acoustics and the Infinity's. I do like the tonal balance of the Bostons best but unfortunately they are not loud enough to keep up with the rest of the OEM system. This threw the soundstage off, so I went back to the Infinitys. I am done with 3.5 inch speakers. I think I will now try a 4 inch to see if it can fit, if they don't work out, I will just keep the Infinity's in.
Old 10-22-12, 05:22 PM
nkohlimd
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks so much for the advice

Will wait for you to try out the 4 inch Focal-I'm in no rush- do let me know how it goes and I will follow in your footsteps-thanks again for sharing your experience and advice-much appreciated!