GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Discount Tire Winter Wheel Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 06:14 PM
HQuantum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire Winter Wheel Package

I have been looking for a winter tire and wheel package.

It came with 18" wheels, however I am planning to go with 17" wheels for winter use.

One option came up as a 17X7" 45 offset rim, I know factory is 7.5" wide with 45 offset.

Will this create any problems?

Here is the rim:

Or This one: 17X7.5 40 offset

Tires will be either Michelin X-Ice Xi3 or Nokian Hakkapliitta R

Any opinions or other options?

Not looking to spend a fortune on the rims, but don't want junk either.

Thanks
Old 10-18-12, 06:24 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What companies are those rims from? Avoid sports edition rims, they will bend easily and are very cheap. Made from china and of lower melting point alloy than OEM. I would get the tire/rim set from tirerack instead with TPMS installed and top of the line hunter road force balanced. The best rims for these are the Enkeis for the price. They are well priced and are strong rims.

These are the rims I am considering with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4 size 235/45/18 tires. Total price with TPMS and Road Force Balancing is : 2,100 dollars including shipment (2-3 days).

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...nt&showRear=no

or

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...XL&qty_front=4

Last edited by Rexus300; 10-18-12 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 06:54 PM
HQuantum
Driver School Candidate

First one is Momo Winter Pro second is Velox Apex.

I do like the look of those Enkei Raijin.
Old 10-18-12, 07:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the MOMOs are cool... like the 2nd set better.
Old 10-18-12, 07:07 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rexus300
What companies are those rims from? Avoid sports edition rims, they will bend easily and are very cheap. Made from china and of lower melting point alloy than OEM. I would get the tire/rim set from tirerack instead with TPMS installed and top of the line hunter road force balanced. The best rims for these are the Enkeis for the price. They are well priced and are strong rims.

These are the rims I am considering with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4 size 235/45/18 tires. Total price with TPMS and Road Force Balancing is : 2,100 dollars including shipment (2-3 days).

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...nt&showRear=no

or

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...XL&qty_front=4
you're doing 18s for the winter i see... BTW how's the weather out there now?
Old 10-18-12, 08:10 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

The weather is still pretty good with temps swaying from 45-50s at night to 55-65 during the day. I want to order within 1 week so I can get them mounted and balance in time before they run out of inventory which happened last year in Nov when I tried to get Michelin Pilot Alpines for the Audi A8 winter sets. Ever since using winter sets for the past 2 years I cannot stick with all seasons during winter no matter how good they are. Driving on winter is like driving in summer time yet with a more softer ride and great traction without worrying about how much snow it is out there. Also winter tires barely have or no flat spotting at all when temps are below 50 degrees which is a culprit of my current Continental all season tires.

I am picky.. I know that. : )

Last edited by Rexus300; 10-18-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 08:11 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Here is good review of great rims to get if you want one for winter set. It does not include the pricy aftermarket rims which we use for summer times. I am not sure about Moyo or Velox because they are not the bigger reputable companies. I hate cheap rims as they bend easy with simple pot holes leading more headaches and more money out of the pocket. On one of our Audi, we had 3 bent Sports edition rims in 1 winter season and we switched to Hartmann rims which are German built rims and they were rigorous for the following winter with no issues. It is my own experience that drives my choices right now and I want others to choose the right company/brand when it comes to rims and tires for this particular car.

http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_gui...ket-Wheels.htm

Last edited by Rexus300; 10-18-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 08:34 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

The weather is still pretty good with temps swaying from 45-50s at night to 55-65 during the day. I want to order within 1 week so I can get them mounted and balance in time before they run out of inventory which happened last year in Nov when I tried to get Michelin Pilot Alpines for the Audi A8 winter sets. Ever since using winter sets for the past 2 years I cannot stick with all seasons during winter no matter how good they are. Driving on winter is like driving in summer time yet with a more softer ride and great traction without worrying about how much snow it is out there. Also winter tires barely have or no flat spotting at all when temps are below 50 degrees which is a culprit of my current Continental all season tires.

I am picky.. I know that. : )
nothing wrong with being picky... you want what you want when you want it.
Old 10-19-12, 07:01 AM
HQuantum
Driver School Candidate

Here is good review of great rims to get if you want one for winter set. It does not include the pricy aftermarket rims which we use for summer times. I am not sure about Moyo or Velox because they are not the bigger reputable companies. I hate cheap rims as they bend easy with simple pot holes leading more headaches and more money out of the pocket. On one of our Audi, we had 3 bent Sports edition rims in 1 winter season and we switched to Hartmann rims which are German built rims and they were rigorous for the following winter with no issues. It is my own experience that drives my choices right now and I want others to choose the right company/brand when it comes to rims and tires for this particular car.

http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_gui...ket-Wheels.htm
Thanks for the information, I will go with either Enkei or Konig.
I would rather spend a little more on quality now, rather then a lot more later...