GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 08:00 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You know what else sounds awful at idle and low speed? Porsches. The more powerful they are, the worse they sound, like broken chunks of metal are getting flung to and fro under the lid. It's like a diesel grandfather clock with all the awful racket they make.

But...wind them up on the highway or get them really hot on a track and they provide a soundtrack you can fall in love with. Sometimes there are engineering compromises and they end up with Jekyll and Hyde personalities. To me, the DI system is one such compromise. Hopefully the RC will have something newer under the hood. I know the GS-F won't sound like this.
Old 03-30-14, 06:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
You know what else sounds awful at idle and low speed? Porsches. The more powerful they are, the worse they sound, like broken chunks of metal are getting flung to and fro under the lid. It's like a diesel grandfather clock with all the awful racket they make.

But...wind them up on the highway or get them really hot on a track and they provide a soundtrack you can fall in love with. Sometimes there are engineering compromises and they end up with Jekyll and Hyde personalities. To me, the DI system is one such compromise. Hopefully the RC will have something newer under the hood. I know the GS-F won't sound like this.
+1
Old 03-30-14, 07:31 AM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was younger, I found that noise/sound appealing and I bought that type of car with the "Hey, look at me in my fast car!" sound.

Now that I'm more refined (read: 'older') I started buying more refined cars (read: 'Lexus').

I'm pretty sure that they weren't going for the alluring 'click, click, click' sound on the GS. I'm sure they will fix it in later models but they wanted to stick with the schedule and budget for getting this thing on the road.
Old 03-30-14, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by frazierwa
I'm pretty sure that they weren't going for the alluring 'click, click, click' sound on the GS. I'm sure they will fix it in later models but they wanted to stick with the schedule and budget for getting this thing on the road.
This engine has been around, basically unchanged since 2007. Nothing on this engine has been overlooked to get the car on the road.

Its simply the nature of the direct injection system. As technology increases perhaps they will find a way to counteract the sound, or hide the sound, but its one of the drawbacks of this type of setup.

If you want to experience the engine without this technology, drive an ES. This technology gets us an additional 50hp out of this engine.
Old 03-30-14, 10:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jq3
Sorry, but I do not accept it!!! If we as the consumer just accept things as they are presented to us, we'd be without some of our best technologies! In the 70's it was said that big block engines due to gas mileage restrictions weren't capable of getting good gas mileage and still put out high hp. Well people said "No we want both!". Now look at us today, V-6's putting out more hp than big blocks of the muscle car era with great gas mileage! Even though the engine is noisy as all get out, it is powerful for a V-6.

If Lexus wouldn't have built their reputation on refinement I and others probably could accept the engine's noisy nature. Lexus set the bar for themselves. I'm just trying to hold them to it! You and others should too! They can do it if you scream loud enough, but quietness is a form acceptance.
Didn't you listen and hear the noise when you test drove the GS?
Old 03-30-14, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right...and this technology is how they're able to do things like provide great power while preserving gas mileage...and getting power that used to come from a V8 out of a V6...

Life is full of compromises. I don't love how it sounds idling either, but it is what it is.
Old 03-30-14, 11:22 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This engine has been around, basically unchanged since 2007. Nothing on this engine has been overlooked to get the car on the road.

Its simply the nature of the direct injection system. As technology increases perhaps they will find a way to counteract the sound, or hide the sound, but its one of the drawbacks of this type of setup.

If you want to experience the engine without this technology, drive an ES. This technology gets us an additional 50hp out of this engine.
It's not the direct injection. This same type thread goes back on the ES form from the summer of 06. The ES does not have direct injection, but does have the noise. It's a characteristic of the 3.5 engine.

clublexus.com/forums/es350-2007-2012/296483-cold-start-diesel-sound-rehashed-again.html

07ES

youtube.com/watch?v=tN0VA5L1b1w

07RX

youtube.com/watch?v=eN1XHmndzgA
Old 03-30-14, 11:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkeller
It's not the direct injection. This same type thread goes back on the ES form from the summer of 06. The ES does not have direct injection, but does have the noise. It's a characteristic of the 3.5 engine.

clublexus.com/forums/es350-2007-2012/296483-cold-start-diesel-sound-rehashed-again.html

07ES

youtube.com/watch?v=tN0VA5L1b1w

07RX

youtube.com/watch?v=eN1XHmndzgA
I've read/heard it's piston slap till warm up on the non DI 3.5L.
Old 03-30-14, 11:32 AM
jkeller
Advanced

For the most part your right. My 07ES had it when the engine was cold, then it went away. Some ES's had it even after they warmed up. IIRC early on in 07ES production Lexus was buying back some cars if the owners complained enough.
Old 03-30-14, 11:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

For the most part your right. My 07ES had it when the engine was cold, then it went away. Some ES's had it even after they warmed up. IIRC early on in 07ES production Lexus was buying back some cars if the owners complained enough.
I had an '09 RX that had the noise until the engine warmed up.
Old 03-30-14, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had an ES350 for 3 years. No such noise. I do have the DI tick on my GS350.

I do know some ES owners had some noise issues, but it is not a characteristic of that engine like it is in the DI 3.5L V6.

Completely different situations, the sound GS owners are hearing is the DI.
Old 03-30-14, 11:43 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Mine had the start up noise if the outside temp was below 70 degrees, when it got below freezing it was almost embarrassingly loud until it warmed up. On a couple of occasions people in my car thought something was wrong with it.
Old 03-30-14, 11:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Mine had the start up noise if the outside temp was below 70 degrees, when it got below freezing it was almost embarrassingly loud until it warmed up. On a couple of occasions people in my car thought something was wrong with it.
Yes,loud in winter.
I remember the '09 RX 3.5L noise was much,much louder than the GS ticking noise.The RX's tapping noise would be less and less when engine would gradually heat up to normal temp and would be pretty much gone.
Old 03-30-14, 12:51 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Yea it's loud and sounds like a singer sewing machine like some have said, but as long as my engine is not drinking oil/overheating/blowing through turbos, fuel pumps and everything else I'm happy.
Old 03-30-14, 02:52 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the noise I hear in my vehicle is coming from the passenger seat when I get on the car full throttle. Much more expensive issue to resolve.

Quick Reply: Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?