GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clear Bra Install Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 10:41 PM
ExtremeLex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Install Soon!

Hello Everyone

I am about to get a Xpel self healing clear bra on the bumper, full fenders, partial hood, rear trunk bumper, and door edges. Also tinting the back side windows with 30% Wincos Tint. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks
Extreme Lex
2013 GS350 F-Sport AWD

Old 09-24-12, 11:32 PM
Maseroche
Driver

Looking forward to pics and impressions.
Old 09-25-12, 05:02 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am anti clear bras, but good luck!
Old 09-25-12, 08:29 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexson
I am anti clear bras, but good luck!
Same here after looking at cars that has had bra on for at least a year. Discoloration, scratches, etc. if you think keeping paint looking good is a chore, I think it's impossible to do w bra.

But GL to you hopefully your experience will be different.
Old 09-25-12, 08:57 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ExtremeLex
Hello Everyone

I am about to get a Xpel self healing clear bra on the bumper, full fenders, partial hood, rear trunk bumper, and door edges. Also tinting the back side windows with 30% Wincos Tint. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks
Extreme Lex
2013 GS350 F-Sport AWD

make sure u keep it clean and waxed all the time, no polish, I did that already I used 3M brand and it came out very good.good luck.
Old 09-25-12, 06:07 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by mso4
Same here after looking at cars that has had bra on for at least a year. Discoloration, scratches, etc. if you think keeping paint looking good is a chore, I think it's impossible to do w bra.

But GL to you hopefully your experience will be different.
Actually the Xpel film is self healing... so scratches will heal themselves. Quality films these days do not yellow... and if they did they would be covered under warranty. By the way the paint underneathe the bra will be as pristine as the day it was installed... so it is very easy to keep the paint looking new. And it sure beats getting rock chips and scartches in the paint.... not to mention the film prevents headlight oxidation which is common with Lexus headlights.
Old 09-25-12, 07:07 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Another anti-clear-bra here. Had 3M on my white GX470 for 3 years. Anyone who says it does not cause a discrepancy between the paint under the bra and the exposed paint should go look at my GX470 that belongs to someone in Chicago right now. After 3 years the clear-bra was looking worse for wear and we removed it before selling the vehicle. The paint difference looked awful. Definite difference between the way the paint under the clear-bra weathered compared to the exposed surface adjacent to it. I'm sure the paint under the clear-bra was in perfect shape but when the whole car isn't covered in the stuff you can expect disappointment when you remove it.

No more clear-bras for me but more power to you.

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Actually the Xpel film is self healing... so scratches will heal themselves. Quality films these days do not yellow... and if they did they would be covered under warranty. By the way the paint underneathe the bra will be as pristine as the day it was installed... so it is very easy to keep the paint looking new. And it sure beats getting rock chips and scartches in the paint.... not to mention the film prevents headlight oxidation which is common with Lexus headlights.
Old 09-25-12, 09:23 PM
Mojo122
Driver

For me the clear-bra is a must as i drive frequently on the highway. I've had them on my cars since 2000. My first one in 2000 did yellow over time, but not the one on my 2005 TL. That one still looks as good today as when it was first applied. I wax it when waxing the vehicle. It does take a little extra work on darker colors to keep the line where it ends from getting wax build up and showing.
Old 09-26-12, 03:58 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Another anti-clear-bra here. Had 3M on my white GX470 for 3 years. Anyone who says it does not cause a discrepancy between the paint under the bra and the exposed paint should go look at my GX470 that belongs to someone in Chicago right now. After 3 years the clear-bra was looking worse for wear and we removed it before selling the vehicle. The paint difference looked awful. Definite difference between the way the paint under the clear-bra weathered compared to the exposed surface adjacent to it. I'm sure the paint under the clear-bra was in perfect shape but when the whole car isn't covered in the stuff you can expect disappointment when you remove it.

No more clear-bras for me but more power to you.
If your paint is weathering that bad then you need to evaluate the wy you maintain your vehicle. Obviously there is an issue there if your paint is weathered after three years. If the car is properly maintained then your paint should look really good in that time frame... so not sure why you are blaming this on the film when it sounds like its a maintenence issue.
Old 09-26-12, 05:31 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

I am meticulous about my paint so your statement is 100% inaccurate. Griots Clay bar and Klasse products for me combined with a weekly washing ritual. Clear-bra is a no no in my opinion.
Old 09-26-12, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've detailed cars for 15 years, did it professionally for a while...theres no way you should have had severe weathering between the clear bra'd and non-clear bra'd portions of the car after 3 years, especially with that regimen. Something else is going on there.
Old 09-26-12, 08:51 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PTmobile
If your paint is weathering that bad then you need to evaluate the wy you maintain your vehicle. Obviously there is an issue there if your paint is weathered after three years. If the car is properly maintained then your paint should look really good in that time frame... so not sure why you are blaming this on the film when it sounds like its a maintenence issue.
I'd imagine it's easier to keep a car clean in a region that never gets snow.
Old 09-26-12, 10:49 AM
joehp1
Rookie

Tough car to clear bra...just look at the front and all the curves, etc. I had it reinstalled two times and still not 100% satisfied. Have used it on three other cars with no problems at all.
Old 09-26-12, 04:46 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Where did I use the word severe? The difference was noticeable. I'm not looking for your validation. I am sharing my experience.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I've detailed cars for 15 years, did it professionally for a while...theres no way you should have had severe weathering between the clear bra'd and non-clear bra'd portions of the car after 3 years, especially with that regimen. Something else is going on there.
Old 09-27-12, 04:27 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by joehp1
Tough car to clear bra...just look at the front and all the curves, etc. I had it reinstalled two times and still not 100% satisfied. Have used it on three other cars with no problems at all.
Really its a fairly easy install... but it comes down to the experience of the installer. I think thats why some people are anti clear bra as thy have limited experience with the product. There are not many good installers around the country. Most of the good installers are located in high demand markets such as California and the North East. Some larger cities in between will have a quality installer or two... but most citiesdont even have one. So in turn the install if pretty poor and the installer more than likely just uses the cheapest film available to increase any profit they make. Again finding a good installer that uses the best films out will make all the difference in the world.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Install Soon!