GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 08:57 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's pretty much what this whole thread is about Mikeyroth. Get your wheels to the dealer and don't take no for an answer, unless you just didn't notice it for 30k.

Also, your first defense, when you get the line "oh it's probably some product you applied to the wheels", point out that with the directions the stripes are running, you would have had to take each wheel off, lay it flat with the spokes facing up, then sprayed something on it a few big drops at a time. The stripes were obviously a manufacturing defect because that's the direction they run, straight down with gravity. Vertical stripes would be a totally different story.

Last edited by Afrosheen; 05-26-16 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more stuff
The following users liked this post:
MikeyRoth (03-17-17)
Old 05-29-16, 12:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
That's pretty much what this whole thread is about Mikeyroth. Get your wheels to the dealer and don't take no for an answer, unless you just didn't notice it for 30k.

Also, your first defense, when you get the line "oh it's probably some product you applied to the wheels", point out that with the directions the stripes are running, you would have had to take each wheel off, lay it flat with the spokes facing up, then sprayed something on it a few big drops at a time. The stripes were obviously a manufacturing defect because that's the direction they run, straight down with gravity. Vertical stripes would be a totally different story.
Although I'm all for warranty repairs...

The same spray drip lines are imbedded into the black brake calipers too, this would indicate to me that a cleaning solution etched the brake caliper finish and wheel finish as well.

This is why I never use anything but car soap on my wheels with a dedicated wash mit & bucket.

Joe Z
Old 03-17-17, 07:01 AM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Everyone,
I could really use some help or advice on this issue. I just bought 2015 GS 350 F-sport from a dealer in Cali..had is shipped to Dallas Tx; when arrived, noticed the same issue with the rims, although i have spots and the couple of lines on mine also...i took the car into Lexus Park Place Grapevine and told them about this issue, how its on Club Lexus forums...answer i get..anyone can post on forums, doesnt mean its true...his 16 year old can post. He tried a solution to wipe it but we all know that doesnt work. Tried to tell me and show me its products used...i stood stern and said not possible, because every other car (bmw, mercedes, etc) does not do this so there is a true defect in the workmanship or product....he said he will check lexus forums and see if there is anything, take pics, send to Lexus and see what they will do about it. I have 25k miles on it, still under warranty...the person before me leased it for 2 years, so probably didnt care about the rims.
I can already forsee the answer i will get back..so what should i do...i saw a post of park place plano refinishing..but would rather have them replaced if at possible.
Old 03-17-17, 07:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by chetpatel1
Hey Everyone,
I could really use some help or advice on this issue. I just bought 2015 GS 350 F-sport from a dealer in Cali..had is shipped to Dallas Tx; when arrived, noticed the same issue with the rims, although i have spots and the couple of lines on mine also...i took the car into Lexus Park Place Grapevine and told them about this issue, how its on Club Lexus forums...answer i get..anyone can post on forums, doesnt mean its true...his 16 year old can post. He tried a solution to wipe it but we all know that doesnt work. Tried to tell me and show me its products used...i stood stern and said not possible, because every other car (bmw, mercedes, etc) does not do this so there is a true defect in the workmanship or product....he said he will check lexus forums and see if there is anything, take pics, send to Lexus and see what they will do about it. I have 25k miles on it, still under warranty...the person before me leased it for 2 years, so probably didnt care about the rims.
I can already forsee the answer i will get back..so what should i do...i saw a post of park place plano refinishing..but would rather have them replaced if at possible.
In all likelihood the stain on your wheels is the result of using a harsh chemical cleaner, which is not a defect of the wheels. You can take a stern stand all you want, but I doubt seriously you'll get any favorable results from your local Lexus dealer - especially since you did not buy the car from them. However, they may help you some with a discounted wheel refinish job.

With all the GS350s in the DFW area I don't know why you felt the need to buy a car sight-unseen from California and have it shipped to Dallas.
Old 03-17-17, 07:56 AM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

bclexus: I bought from LA as they had the color i wanted, F-sport, with mark levinson (ultra white with cabernet)..threw in 6 years unlimited warranty L certified (until 2023), paid off my 4 months lease on my bmw remaining...and all for 35k...DFW didnt want to budge under 40k (some with more miles, and massive swirls on the black ones)...Sewell or Park Place...when Sewell tells me oh we are lexus we dont make deals because people buy at what we put them for sale and the other says ive only had the car on the lot for 15 days, I cant go lower, come back in 30 days...then yes...i find where the deals are...it was not full sight unseen...my cousin in LA test drove it, sent me pics/video, etc...in all honesty, i thought it was dirty from rain and brake dust..which is what im used to seeing. If they can fix this great..if not...i still got hell of a car for way less than DFW area L-Certified would have cost me. FYI...im from Cali..just moved to DFW area few months ago.
As for as harsh chemicals...seriously doubt it with all the postings on the site...i would believe a few..but same issue many times with many people..hard to believe...i have had BMW and Mercedes for the past 15 years...everything and anything got thrown at them..including stubborn brake dust..and no issues with the rims. If chemicals are ruining these rims..thats a defect in workmanship...all i have to say.
Old 03-17-17, 08:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

bclexus: I bought from LA as they had the color i wanted, F-sport, with mark levinson (ultra white with cabernet)..threw in 6 years unlimited warranty L certified (until 2023), paid off my 4 months lease on my bmw remaining...and all for 35k...DFW didnt want to budge under 40k (some with more miles, and massive swirls on the black ones)...Sewell or Park Place...when Sewell tells me oh we are lexus we dont make deals because people buy at what we put them for sale and the other says ive only had the car on the lot for 15 days, I cant go lower, come back in 30 days...then yes...i find where the deals are...it was not full sight unseen...my cousin in LA test drove it, sent me pics/video, etc...in all honesty, i thought it was dirty from rain and brake dust..which is what im used to seeing. If they can fix this great..if not...i still got hell of a car for way less than DFW area L-Certified would have cost me. FYI...im from Cali..just moved to DFW area few months ago.
As for as harsh chemicals...seriously doubt it with all the postings on the site...i would believe a few..but same issue many times with many people..hard to believe...i have had BMW and Mercedes for the past 15 years...everything and anything got thrown at them..including stubborn brake dust..and no issues with the rims. If chemicals are ruining these rims..thats a defect in workmanship...all i have to say.
Good luck in your search for satisfaction...
Old 03-17-17, 09:07 AM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Good luck in your search for satisfaction...
like I said, if it's covered, great, if not, no big deal, still completely SATISFIED. Just looking for feedback from those that have experienced this and their Results. That's all.
Old 03-17-17, 09:28 AM
MikeyRoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unremovable Spots

Originally Posted by Afrosheen

Sorry... I forgot to reply back... So the paint and body shop tried to repaint the rims. It was not even close to the factory job. So I got my insurance company involved again to solve the issue. I ended up going to the Lexus dealership to just order me four brand new rims. NOT EVEN LEXUS COULD FIX THEM!!!!!!! There is nothing you can do after the rim gets those strips. Lexus has a rim issue and I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed yet.
Old 03-17-17, 10:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Club Lexus 'Automotive Care & Detailing' Wheel Spots - Stain

It's not just Lexus wheels that get spots and staining from the use of harsh chemicals. Other car owners (BMW, M-B, etc., etc., etc., etc.) have the exact same problem...due to carelessness, NOT because there is a defect of the wheel's finish.
Old 03-17-17, 01:11 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I second the notion that MY13-15 F-sport rims are difficult to match to OEM finish. When I had my 2013, the tire shop gouged the rim when trying to replace the tire. They had a shop refinish it, but it didn't quite match. I let it go since it was close to the end of the lease. When I had my 2015, the dealer curbed/scratched the wheel. They tried to refinish it when I pointed it out, but it wasn't a match. They ended up giving me a new rim.

Those of you with the MY2013-2015 F-sport rims, be careful out there.
Old 03-17-17, 04:40 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Yeah, it's not a good idea to clean wheels with harsh chemicals when they're flaming hot. Not saying that's what happened, but I'm betting a lot of money that is exactly what happened.
Old 03-24-17, 02:04 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F-Sport wheels were changed for new ones. Twice. All under warranty. Last time I got new ones it took one month until Lexus dealer washed car and again ruined them. They are using some agressive chemical what is making these horrible sports on wheels. I'm going only for hand car wash and never experienced this like with these F-Sport wheels. There is for sure something bad in workmanship. Now I'm waiting few months for new ones again. It was unable to order this part through the past few months. Maybe they finally realized there is a mistake.
Old 03-31-17, 10:55 AM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

As an update to all...local Lexus dealer and dealer i bought the car from in LA, Cali took care of my rims...yes they took care of it and definitely satisfied...even though i did not buy the car locally in texas, service was exceptional.
Old 03-31-17, 06:32 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

As an update to all...local Lexus dealer and dealer i bought the car from in LA, Cali took care of my rims...yes they took care of it and definitely satisfied...even though i did not buy the car locally in texas, service was exceptional.
Wat dealer is that in which city.
Old 04-03-17, 10:18 AM
CBsLex
Driver School Candidate

Park place grapevine in texas...cali dealer was lexus of woodland hills.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots