smartloom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. F sports.
Old 08-27-12, 11:42 AM
Axxlrod
Driver School Candidate

It's not a wheel defect. And it's not under the clear coat.

It's a stain from leaving wheel cleaner on too long and it burned into the clear coat.

It's not Lexus' fault. It's whomever cleaned your wheels.
Old 08-27-12, 11:44 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work right next to Mothers Wax Co. I had asked them about using wheel cleaner on my wheels. They highly recommended that I didn't use any type of wheels cleaner as it may strip the protective coating off the wheels. Looks like that is what happened in the pics. I have had my car since April, washed every other week with soap and water. No issues.
Old 08-27-12, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I'll echo what others have said, that etching is likely caused by whatever wheel cleaner your detailer uses to clean the wheels. If he's the only one who has washed it, he's liable for replacing the wheels IMHO. Its getting worse because he uses it every week.

I don't use ANY wheel cleaner, I don't on my own cars and I didn't back when I used to detail cars professionally many moons ago. They are just too harsh, and when working professionally so many different types of wheels and finishes you just never know how a specific cleaner will react, even moreso today than when I was detailing. I never really saw the need when a little elbow grease and whatever soap I'm using to wash the car does the job just fine, especially on a car thats washed weekly.

So, identify what your detailer is using, tell him to stop using it. Maybe the wheels can be refinished...you can try using a hand polish to see if it will clear the issue, but my guess is no.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-27-12 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 12:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts

If it doesn't wash off with warm car soap & water..... Then you have an issue..

The issue is some sort of wheel cleaning product thats has been used... It slowly etches away at painted wheel finishes... Quicker when they are HOT..

I NEVER use a specific wheel cleaner on any of my cars..

~ Joe Z
Old 08-27-12, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Thats another big issue, is spraying a cleaner on the wheels when they are hot.
Old 09-03-12, 07:46 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont own F-sport wheels, so i cant say certainly one way or another if the wheels are defective, but my first intuitions were echoed below:

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I've seen this before and I would suspect your "professional" detailer used a product meant for raw aluminum (no clear coating) to clean your wheels. If that isn't the case I suspect he left whatever "wheel cleaner" he uses on way too long without rinsing. If that isn't it I suspect he didn't dilute his wheel cleaner properly (he most likely buys concentrated wheel cleaner and dilutes). Another mistake he possibly made was to overspray the tire cleaner onto the wheels without quickly rinsing them off.

Professional or not it appears to me that he made a bad mistake. You will never get him to admit to the mistake. This is the exact reason why I don't let other folks touch my cars when it comes to detailing. No one can possibly care about my cars as much as I care.

Also, I have 2 GS F-Sports and the wheels are treated like the body paint. Clean them only with soap and water, nothing else. So far they are perfect.

This is just my opinion as a very dedicated car detailer (it's my hobby). No hard feelings if you don't agree.
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
It's not a wheel defect. And it's not under the clear coat.

It's a stain from leaving wheel cleaner on too long and it burned into the clear coat.

It's not Lexus' fault. It's whomever cleaned your wheels.
i would ask your "professional" detailer what product they use and go from there. if it is determined the produsct(s) they are using are the root of your problem, they need to pay to replace. this is why i spend $100's on cleaning/detailing supplies yearly (yes, $100's). it may seem excessive, but it beats having these types of issues. best of luck and let us know how it turns out (hopefully for the best)
Old 09-06-12, 02:28 PM
smartloom
Driver School Candidate

I took the car to dealer to get those spots checked as I haven't washed the wheels with any cleaning product. Looks like marks are permanent and not coming off. They said that Lexus Factory DSPM have to come and inspect to see if it is a manufacturing fault to cover under warranty. They will call me once Lexus Factory DSPM have a planned visit to dealership.
Old 09-06-12, 02:40 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I will have to agree with the rest and say it was a chemical sprayed on that ruined your wheels. My detailer did the same to my anodized work wheels and my lips look just like your wheels.
Old 09-06-12, 02:47 PM
maxwebr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should definately treat them as you do you car paint. Once they are clean or if you end up getting the dealer to replace them. Get a good paint sealant and they will not give you any problems. But only use soap and water (and a good car care soap, not dawn or other harsh detergents).
I sealed my rims with Adam's Paint sealant, when I did the body. They shined up like crazy.

good luck..
Old 09-06-12, 03:53 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying you've never washed your wheels with anything at all?

What chemical was used to clean your tires?

Originally Posted by smartloom
I took the car to dealer to get those spots checked as I haven't washed the wheels with any cleaning product. Looks like marks are permanent and not coming off. They said that Lexus Factory DSPM have to come and inspect to see if it is a manufacturing fault to cover under warranty. They will call me once Lexus Factory DSPM have a planned visit to dealership.
Old 09-06-12, 04:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by smartloom

Again, the problem is the wheel cleaner for the original poster... I missed it last time, but whatever the "Professional Detailer" used on the OP's wheels also got onto the brake calipers...

You can easily see the faded black front braker caliper as well..

Not only does the chemical in the wheel cleaner etch the finish on the wheels, but it also eats away the black finish on the brake parts as well..

Car Soap & Warm water is the ONLY thing that should be used on wheels.. Chemical Wheel cleaners suck..!!!

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-07-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-06-12, 06:47 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
Anyone else having this problem? It must be from the brake dust, but it seems to be embedded in the wheel. I have my car professionally hand-washed once a week (it's obsidian) including the wheels. The detailer does not know how to remove it, he says it something about Lexus wheels. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks,
Wheel cleaner was left on too long. Wheel cleaner must be used in the shade and rinsed off after 30 seconds or so.

...if the wheel cleaner dries, then it stains the wheel.
Old 09-07-12, 07:38 AM
smartloom
Driver School Candidate

Oh well for me Lexus washed the car on delivery and I thought it was design. I didn't pay much attention till I saw that post and checked my rims. Mine are not as bad the one in picture.
Old 09-09-12, 06:55 AM
kssod
Rookie

try a clay bar. Works for contaminants in paint. Just make sure the wheels are cool. Wash with regular car wash. Dry then spray on detailer spray and rub surface with clay bar. Worth a try.
Can get at Walmart

Quick Reply: F-Sport Wheels - Unremovable Spots