GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Concerns with Tight / Low Cabin of GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 08:13 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the good info. I also noticed those skimpy measurements in the RX, though the RX loaners feel roomier and the higher seating position helps. I'm experimenting with the easy entry settings and trying a lower seat position. I'm not an overly big guy (6' 0" & 195 lbs.) but I'm most comfortable sitting very upright.

I took some test drives over the weekend, checking out the Sienna, Tundra, & Ridgeline. If I end up making a change, it would likely be to the appearance-challenged (but comfortable and very handy) Ridgeline. I have a short trip later this week and will decide over the weekend. If I decide to sell the GS, I'll post it in the classifieds here and discuss a trade with a metro-Detroit dealer chain that has a Honda store and also sells a lot of used luxury cars at another store.
Old 08-21-12, 07:00 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasTen
Good info, the headroom is only 1" greater on the RX, didn't know it was that close.

Btw, if you're a dude, no slight meant on the gender thing. I actually came very close to buying one for myself, really like them.
yep, I'm a dude~ there are actually a lot of male drivers over at RX forum. I just prefer something sportier thus changed to GS.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Thanks for the good info. I also noticed those skimpy measurements in the RX, though the RX loaners feel roomier and the higher seating position helps. I'm experimenting with the easy entry settings and trying a lower seat position. I'm not an overly big guy (6' 0" & 195 lbs.) but I'm most comfortable sitting very upright.

I took some test drives over the weekend, checking out the Sienna, Tundra, & Ridgeline. If I end up making a change, it would likely be to the appearance-challenged (but comfortable and very handy) Ridgeline. I have a short trip later this week and will decide over the weekend. If I decide to sell the GS, I'll post it in the classifieds here and discuss a trade with a metro-Detroit dealer chain that has a Honda store and also sells a lot of used luxury cars at another store.
I have been researching about switching my van to a different manufacturer these days and came across a problem that a few sienna owners have encountered.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post link from other forum, but google vaporlock sienna and you should see it.
Old 08-21-12, 07:46 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

I have an RX350. I am 6', mostly torso, with an inch and a half of hair above that . I sit in a racing position in all of my cars, almost straight up with most of my back in the seat, close enough to the wheel to hold it at 9 and 3 with my arms bent. My test on whether I will fit in a car comfortably is if I can sit in it, in my driving position, wearing a helmet without touching the headliner.

I do not fit like this in the 2IS without gangster leaning or reclining the seat too far from the wheel. My hair annoyingly rubs the headliner. This is why I rarely drive our IS.

I do not fit like this in the 3GS. I didn't even bother test driving one after seeing that it had little more headroom than the 2IS. This is why I ended up in an RX350 instead of a GS350 AWD, even though the GS would have been a much better car for my driving style.

Looking at the roofline of the 4GS, I assume there is more headroom. I will have to trek out to my local store to see if I fit with a helmet.
Old 08-21-12, 09:59 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny but compared to the vette and the 335i, sitting in the GS makes me feel like I'm sitting in a van. After 1k miles I love the GS extra space now. The other cars feels cramp now especially when the weather gets hot.
Old 08-21-12, 10:21 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by mso4
Funny but compared to the vette and the 335i, sitting in the GS makes me feel like I'm sitting in a van. After 1k miles I love the GS extra space now. The other cars feels cramp now especially when the weather gets hot.
Really? My buddy's C6 has more headroom than the 2IS. However, I can't own one that doesn't have a telescoping wheels because my legs will hit the dash. My buddy's 1LT puts me too damn close. Damn this large body.
Old 08-21-12, 10:52 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2IS is tighter than even the 335i. The C6 does have a lot of headroom. My coworker uses his C6 Z06 as a daily driver and he's about 6'2" 230lbs. He puts the seat all the way back though. But there is not a lot of elbow room.

On my GS I have at least 2 extra inches on my left elbow before hitting the door. On the C6 my elbow is within 1/2" from the door panel.
Old 08-21-12, 12:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i wish it was easier (or even possible) to get lexus without moonroof - that would help the headroom a lot (and save money for a feature i never use).
Old 08-21-12, 09:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
I have an RX350. I am 6', mostly torso, with an inch and a half of hair above that . I sit in a racing position in all of my cars, almost straight up with most of my back in the seat, close enough to the wheel to hold it at 9 and 3 with my arms bent. My test on whether I will fit in a car comfortably is if I can sit in it, in my driving position, wearing a helmet without touching the headliner.

I do not fit like this in the 2IS without gangster leaning or reclining the seat too far from the wheel. My hair annoyingly rubs the headliner. This is why I rarely drive our IS.

I do not fit like this in the 3GS. I didn't even bother test driving one after seeing that it had little more headroom than the 2IS. This is why I ended up in an RX350 instead of a GS350 AWD, even though the GS would have been a much better car for my driving style.

Looking at the roofline of the 4GS, I assume there is more headroom. I will have to trek out to my local store to see if I fit with a helmet.
But won't your helmet crush your inch and a half of hair? (Sorry, J/K)
Old 08-21-12, 09:19 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wish it was easier (or even possible) to get lexus without moonroof - that would help the headroom a lot (and save money for a feature i never use).
+1. While I have been using mine more recently, I'd prefer not to have it at all. Remember the good old days of the steel sunroofs?
Old 08-21-12, 09:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mehran888
+1. While I have been using mine more recently, I'd prefer not to have it at all. Remember the good old days of the steel sunroofs?
Not really. Even my father's '73 Lincoln Mark VI had a glass sunroof (and silver leather interior)

Although I do remember that my '93 Infiniti J35 had a steel sunroof. I think that's the last car I had that didn't have glass.
Old 08-22-12, 12:33 AM
chris5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We should swap

I wanted a moonroof/sunroof on my GS450H but couldnt get one in the Uk on the first cars..weird the way these things are spc'd for differing countries, and you cannot get one without ..odd
onto the post..I am 6'5" 17stone, and fit perfectly in the GS, 36" inside leg too, no problems, get really nice & comfortable. Only thing that irk's slightly is the armrest on my door, its a bit narrow & slightly sloping, so my elbow/forearm doesnt sit that well on it, it could do with being a little wider and/or flater for me...
Old 08-22-12, 05:44 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by dseag2
But won't your helmet crush your inch and a half of hair? (Sorry, J/K)
The helmet is the great equalizer. No matter what, the helmet adds about an inch and change. If I've recently gotten my hair cut I'll still know if my hair is going to rub the headliner when it gets longer.
Old 08-25-12, 06:01 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, now I did it - I traded the GS & LX for a 2012 Ridgeline RTS. I found a dealer chain with a dedicated used luxury store who offered me a tolerable trade-in on the GS. The Ridge provides a better driving position for my back, the backseat is better for passengers, and I missed having a pickup bed. The Ridgeline meets my needs and fits in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Concerns with Tight / Low Cabin of GS-prius-and-ridgeline-2.jpg  
Old 08-25-12, 08:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Well, now I did it - I traded the GS & LX for a 2012 Ridgeline RTS. I found a dealer chain with a dedicated used luxury store who offered me a tolerable trade-in on the GS. The Ridge provides a better driving position for my back, the backseat is better for passengers, and I missed having a pickup bed. The Ridgeline meets my needs and fits in the garage.
Whatever works for you. Glad you found something more practical. Enjoy!
Old 08-25-12, 11:09 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

caddy - sorry to see you go

Quick Reply: Concerns with Tight / Low Cabin of GS