GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Climate Control Technology?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 12:52 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4GS Climate Control Technology?

The following article on the EUR Lexus site provides a great description of the new advanced 4GS climate control system:

http://media.lexus.eu/News/Pages/new...s/default.aspx

My question is: Do U.S. 4GSs have the Nano-e technology from Panasonic that is described in the last paragraph? It's pretty cool stuff and Lexus won an innovation award for it in Europe. I've looked all over and can't find any reference to it in the U.S.. Sales material and Owners Manual make no mention of it. Note: This is NOT the standard pollen/smog filter.
Old 08-15-12, 01:44 PM
Matt11212
Driver School Candidate

Read the same article here: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/06/1...n-of-the-year/

Someone in the comments said we needed it here in the North America. So maybe it doesn't exist in North American GS's. Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-15-12, 05:57 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lot of things, minor details things that doesn't exist in NA 4GS: power trunk, power folding mirror, LED lights, auto high beam, self parking, backup camera pre-dict line........and now the Nano-e climate control.

My 4GS vent have some terrible smell like fertilizer for few second when first turn on and after that it's gone. Now I found the same smell from the trunk liner material. (just remove the trunk liner today to install the backup bulbs and the trunk liner smell like fertilizer too, although the trunk won't smell any thing weird except the carpet smell)

Any idea where it come from and how to fix?
Old 08-15-12, 08:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i believe all 4GS vehicles has the NANO E TECH.
Old 08-15-12, 08:18 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onexcite
There are lot of things, minor details things that doesn't exist in NA 4GS: power trunk, power folding mirror, LED lights, auto high beam, self parking, backup camera pre-dict line........and now the Nano-e climate control.

My 4GS vent have some terrible smell like fertilizer for few second when first turn on and after that it's gone. Now I found the same smell from the trunk liner material. (just remove the trunk liner today to install the backup bulbs and the trunk liner smell like fertilizer too, although the trunk won't smell any thing weird except the carpet smell)

Any idea where it come from and how to fix?
being in N.Y.C. all my life,,, i don't think i know what fertilizer smells like. maybe there was something you put in there,,, groceries etc. maybe something wet that soaked into the carpet in the trunk??? i have no clue.
Old 08-15-12, 11:21 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The smell come up since the car brand new, only first 10 second then gone. The carpet all clean and I never carry anything in the trunk yet. The odor in the cabin smell same exactly the material that make the trunk liner. The trunk have no smell at all and I need to snip the back of the trunk liner for the smell. And I don't think the car circulate the air from the trunk back to the cabin. It's must be some parts of the vent have the same smell like the trunk liner. Terrible Lexus.
Old 08-16-12, 11:01 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Due to the unfavorable exchange rates USDM car come equipped with the following in place of the "nanoe" system:

J/K
Old 08-16-12, 11:12 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sydtoosic,

I have noticed same thing. Here is why: The auto mode keeps the air flow in recirculation mode and never uses the outside air and I find this odd and not like my older 3GS when the auot mode will switch between outside and recirc depending on smog outside whereas the 4GS even after climate TSB repair still keeps the air in recirc from the rear of the car and its not very fresh. When putting the manual mode and to front air from outside i have noticed that the air is very fresh and smells nice with some moisture. I will get this checked out in terms of why the auto mode is stuck in recirc and not automatically switching.
Old 08-16-12, 11:33 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Sydtoosic,

I have noticed same thing. Here is why: The auto mode keeps the air flow in recirculation mode and never uses the outside air and I find this odd and not like my older 3GS when the auot mode will switch between outside and recirc depending on smog outside whereas the 4GS even after climate TSB repair still keeps the air in recirc from the rear of the car and its not very fresh. When putting the manual mode and to front air from outside i have noticed that the air is very fresh and smells nice with some moisture. I will get this checked out in terms of why the auto mode is stuck in recirc and not automatically switching.
My recirculation setting automatic mode switches between fresh and recirculation modes. It tends to favor recirculation modes in temperatures above ~80 degrees. In "Eco" drivetrain mode, the system exhibits an even more aggressive recirculation mode bias.
Old 08-16-12, 12:11 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Due to the unfavorable exchange rates USDM car come equipped with the following in place of the "nanoe" system:

J/K
Part number RE-38769-NU-Z, $137.00, replaced every 5,000 mile service visit.
Old 08-16-12, 04:24 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i believe all 4GS vehicles has the NANO E TECH.
And you know this how?

Actually, today for a few minutes I noticed the distinctive smell of ozone coming from my A/C vents but don't know what conditions or settings might have triggered it. There was nothing unusual going on at the time. I doubt it was coming from outside the car because I wasn't near anything that might have created it, and ozone recombines quickly with normal oxygen molecules and the smell doesn't carry very far.

Anyone else ever noticed the ozone smell?
Old 08-17-12, 08:34 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

The US GS does not use the NANO E TECH.

Regarding the oder and recirculation see below:

From the owner's manual:
Air conditioning odors
●During use, various odors from inside and outside the vehicle may enter into and
accumulate in the air conditioning system. This may then cause odor to be emitted
from the vents.
●To reduce potential odors from occurring:
• It is recommended that the air conditioning system be set to outside air mode
prior to turning the vehicle off.

From the owner’s manual:
When the outside temperature exceeds 75°F (24°C) and the air conditioning system
is on
●In order to reduce the air conditioning power consumption, the air conditioning
system may switch to recirculated air mode automatically. This may also reduce
fuel consumption.
●Recirculated air mode is selected as a default mode when the engine switch is
turned on.
●It is possible to switch to outside air mode at any time by pressing .
■Automatic mode for air intake control
In automatic mode, the system detects exhaust gas and other pollutants and automatically
switches between outside air and recirculated air modes.
When the dehumidification function is off, and the fan is operating, turning automatic
mode on will activate the dehumidification function.
Old 08-17-12, 09:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ahearn
The following article on the EUR Lexus site provides a great description of the new advanced 4GS climate control system:

http://media.lexus.eu/News/Pages/new...s/default.aspx

My question is: Do U.S. 4GSs have the Nano-e technology from Panasonic that is described in the last paragraph? It's pretty cool stuff and Lexus won an innovation award for it in Europe. I've looked all over and can't find any reference to it in the U.S.. Sales material and Owners Manual make no mention of it. Note: This is NOT the standard pollen/smog filter.
Unfortunately we in the USA don't get the NANO-E in any of our Lexus. It's available everywhere else including Japan, Asia and Europe markets of course.
Old 08-17-12, 09:58 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Unfortunately we in the USA don't get the NANO-E in any of our Lexus. It's available everywhere else including Japan, Asia and Europe markets of course.
wow,,, my bad i assumed that we all had this feature after i read the article, however the article didn't state which region had it and which didn't. no more assuming,,, i know what happens one one assumes.