GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windnoise from Driver's side GS4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 02:20 AM
radiatore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you notify Lexus of the problem (not the dealer)
Old 11-18-12, 02:31 AM
tjyoo216
Driver School Candidate

I purchased my 2013 Lexus GS 350 about a month ago (October 2013) and I have been encountering the same "wind-noise" issue. I'm quite convinced that the dealerships know about/of this design and/or mechanical flaw but aren't doing anything about it because it's not mandated by the Toyota/Lexus corporate. Since dealerships are independently owned and operated, financially motivated, they have no reason to open up a can of worm by help an owner like me to fix the issue. With lemon law, after three tries, they know that they have to replace me with a new vehicle and that is something that they don't want. Frankly, I was shocked when I found out that a lot of other owners are having the same issue.

I took my car in to a dealership where I purchased my GS. The dealership suggested:

1) Test drive when there's less traffic, preferably before or after rush hour.
2) Test drive the vehicle, with a senior level technician, sitting behind the driver's seat to examine the noise and have the technician drive the car on both city and freeway.
3) Test drive the vehicle in low, mid to high-speed; uphill, downhill; slalom; reverse, in rain or on a clear day.
4) Test drive an identical vehicle to compare the wind noise. Again, same speed, road condition and etc.

Rain/Water wasn't seeping inside the car so that was a relief; just constant sound of wind noise.

Upon testing out from two different dealerships, I contacted Toyota corporate office in Torrance, CA (about 20 miles drive from where I live). They are going to dispatch me a field technical supervisor to test drive my car and see what other assessment may need for my GS. If you are not in southern California, there are regional offices where you can contact and have a corporate technician test drive a car with you.

I contacted corporate because if more and more owners are declaring this a legit claim Toyota will issue a recall or some type of a fix. It's not life threatening defect (air bag, brake, etc) so it might take awhile but soon or later it will work. I might be a little bit biased but Toyota/Lexus does have the best service than other automobile manufacturer.

*************************POSSIBLE SOLUTION*************************

Dealership technician asked me if I knew exactly where the noise was coming from; I couldn't pinpoint to him exactly where. On this forum, I read a possible solution posted by Jscgs350.

The link: (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-resolved.html)

Since I had nothing to lose, I tried his method - solely to test out if indeed the issue was coming from that black triangle. Click on the link to see what I did.

The link: (http://twitpic.com/be469u)

Upon trying this, I have to admit that the noise definitely has been minimal to none (both city & freeway). Give this method a try and if you happen to find a real solution, please drop me and other owners a line or two. Once I do a test drive with a corporate tech, I will come back and update you all. Thanks.

DY

Last edited by tjyoo216; 11-18-12 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 07:57 PM
Geekaye
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind Noise Problem Resolved

After filing a complaint with Lexus cooperate customer care, a senior level technician was dispatched to evaluate my wind noise problem. After spending multiple hours evaluating, the Lexus senior technician agreed that the win noise heard was not normal. To fix the problem, both driver and passenger front windows were replaced with new thicker sound proof windows that totally eliminated the wind nose problem. I am now happy!
Old 11-20-12, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent! Glad to hear they resolved things to your satisfaction... and you got superior windows!
Old 11-21-12, 06:22 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

So there are two different front windows for the GS 350? I wonder if this is a mid-year model change?
Old 11-26-12, 02:22 PM
tjyoo216
Driver School Candidate

@radiatore:

http://www.lexus.com/contact/

The link provides 800 number you can call or use their interactive chat. I tried both and 800 number was able to help me out the most, as the representative explained how to request for a local/regional field technician.
Old 12-15-12, 05:36 AM
tjyoo216
Driver School Candidate

At last!

I was fortunate and super lucky to find a service advisor who helped me to replace the two front windows of my GS. She requested thicker windows from Japan (took almost a week) and the time frame to replaced each window was around 2 hours. It took me less than a day to got my car back. Upon test driving my GS with newer and thicker windows, I found out that:

1) Wind noise was reduced but not completely dissipated. I would say around 90 out of 100 ratio (ie., soft top convertible, I'd say?)
2) A slight noise started to kick in around 70-75mph. Very faint. But other than freeway, you should never drive this fast anyway.
3) Both windows now take longer to roll up.

Overall wind noise (a high pitched whistle as if the air is coming inside the interior) is dramatically reduced but as you drive in higher speed, the noise still creeps in and you can clearly hear it. No car is silent when driven in a higher speed, why of course, but if your everyday commute isn't in freeways, then this is the fix that I'd like to recommend to owners with a similar problem. I guess I was more resilient.

In conclusion, I really feel like you just have to find the right dealership with a dedicated and selfless service advisor (and the service tech) who's willing to go to an extra mile for your dilemma. Not only I didn't lease the car from them, clearly these people weren't benefiting anything off of this situation. I have nothing but praise for their open line of communication and support. What more can I say?

It's been a tough two months for me. And I will never lease another Lexus as a result. You should do the same. Really.
Old 12-17-12, 07:31 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Geekaye
After filing a complaint with Lexus cooperate customer care, a senior level technician was dispatched to evaluate my wind noise problem. After spending multiple hours evaluating, the Lexus senior technician agreed that the win noise heard was not normal. To fix the problem, both driver and passenger front windows were replaced with new thicker sound proof windows that totally eliminated the wind nose problem. I am now happy!
This is great. I have had my luxury for a few months now. Yesterday it was a little windy. As I was driving off I heard the noise. It was loud. I rolled the window down and up but it didnt go away. I was driving about 30mph. Got on the freeway it was still there. On the way home it went away and I have not noticed it again. I had similar issuse with my 08 rx and there was a tbs on this. They replaced the strip inside the window frame. Regardless it didnt fix it. We gave up and let it go.

This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing. It'll definitely come handy when the noise comes back. the air was definitely leaking in.
Old 12-18-12, 12:54 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In another thread I posted that I'm having the acoustic glass installed on the sides as well. The first attempt to fix the noise wasn't good enough, so I asked the dealer to escalate to Lexus. The new glass is going in tomorrow. So far my dealer has been excellent to work with.
Old 12-24-12, 03:08 PM
Geekaye
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem and call the corporate office and complained. After telling them that my 2012 Kia Optima SX had less wind noise than my 2013 GS F-Sport they dispatch a senior level technician. To resolve my wind noise issue on the drivers side, both front windows were replaced. After replacement the wind noise was gone. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-12, 10:37 AM
James5
Driver School Candidate

hmm i'm gettin my windows tinted soon and now i'm worried!
Old 12-27-12, 08:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by James5
hmm i'm gettin my windows tinted soon and now i'm worried!
I have 35% window tints installed by Lexus and have no wind noise with 5200 miles on the car. They have been tinted since delivery, and I've never heard any noise.
Old 12-30-12, 10:05 AM
skidder
Driver School Candidate

I'm following this thread since I'm shopping this car. Wind noise turns me off.

I did notice on the car I test drove the front windows were made by AGC Automotive and the back windows are Nippon Safety. (The logo isn't at the same height as the others and that was enough to draw my eye and annoy me - relentless pursuit of perfection.)

I assumed this was due to the Cold Weather Package that added Water Repellant Front Door Glass. I didn't compare cars to see if the non-Cold Weather Pkg. cars had all Nippon windows. AGC makes water repellant glass. (I researched their products when we had the windshield replaced in our IS and demanded OEM after noting increased wind noise/sound differences from a non-OEM windshield.)
Old 12-30-12, 12:07 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skidder
I'm following this thread since I'm shopping this car. Wind noise turns me off.

I did notice on the car I test drove the front windows were made by AGC Automotive and the back windows are Nippon Safety. (The logo isn't at the same height as the others and that was enough to draw my eye and annoy me - relentless pursuit of perfection.)

I assumed this was due to the Cold Weather Package that added Water Repellant Front Door Glass. I didn't compare cars to see if the non-Cold Weather Pkg. cars had all Nippon windows. AGC makes water repellant glass. (I researched their products when we had the windshield replaced in our IS and demanded OEM after noting increased wind noise/sound differences from a non-OEM windshield.)
So is there a wind noise differance with or without cold weather package?
Old 12-30-12, 03:25 PM
skidder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by noncom23
So is there a wind noise differance with or without cold weather package?
I don't know - I didn't notice any wind noise in the test car. Would be interesting if anyone notices a pattern or if the "acoustic glass" is one brand or another.

Quick Reply: Windnoise from Driver's side GS4