GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Low Fuel Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 12:43 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Fuel Light

Having recently taken delivery of my new 2013 GS F Sport, I have been reading thru the owner's manual to get familiar with the various features of my new car. Starting on Page 74 it lists the various warning lights on the cars instrument panel. I realize that there are some lights for features that I don't have on my car and some lights (e.g. the green cruise control lights) that are not designed to illuminate when I start the car.

However, on the right side of the speedometer and above the fuel gauge it shows three yellow lights that are supposed to illuminate when you start the car: tire pressure warning light, ABS light and the low fuel warning light (which looks like a gas pump). I only get two lights. The low fuel warning light does not light up when I start the car.

Is the owner's manual correct that this low fuel light should be lighting up when I start the car? I would appreciate hearing from other owners on this. Thanks.
Old 07-25-12, 12:54 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

I don't recall that lamp being the bulb check ever.
Old 07-25-12, 01:08 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that reading the owner manual is a good Idea but don't read to much into it if their would be something wrong with anything in your car you would know it right away. So enjoy your new ride and have fun with it.
Old 07-25-12, 04:38 PM
Mojo122
Driver

Your goal should be to never let your tank get so empty for that light to come on. I commend you for attempting to read through the entire manual. I only look up things I can't figure out.
Old 07-25-12, 04:58 PM
DrKeith
Driver

I just filled up my tank and right before I got to the station my low fuel light came on so I know it works.
It does not light up during startup.
Old 07-25-12, 06:59 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha great thread here
Old 07-25-12, 07:23 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrKeith
I just filled up my tank and right before I got to the station my low fuel light came on so I know it works.
Ok. Thanks for your reply. So I guess the owner's manual is wrong then when it states that the light should come on at start up.
Old 07-25-12, 07:58 PM
DJInnocent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013GS
Is the owner's manual correct that this low fuel light should be lighting up when I start the car? I would appreciate hearing from other owners on this. Thanks.
I too recently took delivery of my brand new baby. Not to worry, just checked and mine doesn't light up either at start. Like others have stated I wouldn't sweat what is probably a misprint or small non-functional related anomoly between the vehicle and owner's manual. Enjoy the new ride, I know I am!
Old 07-25-12, 08:24 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by DJInnocent
I too recently took delivery of my brand new baby. Not to worry, just checked and mine doesn't light up either at start. Like others have stated I wouldn't sweat what is probably a misprint or small non-functional related anomoly between the vehicle and owner's manual. Enjoy the new ride, I know I am!
Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-26-12, 08:49 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vicsis250
I understand that reading the owner manual is a good Idea but don't read to much into it if their would be something wrong with anything in your car you would know it right away. So enjoy your new ride and have fun with it.
Originally Posted by Mojo122
Your goal should be to never let your tank get so empty for that light to come on. I commend you for attempting to read through the entire manual. I only look up things I can't figure out.
Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
haha great thread here
Enjoy your car sir; again like the other folks states if there was something wrong you would know it by now..
Old 07-26-12, 09:45 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DrKeith
Awesome info...

Curious.. How many miles remaing on the Fuel Tank Range before the light comes on ???

MY IS-F is 28 miles.. I can still go another 30-50 after I hit ZERO

~ Joe Z
Old 07-26-12, 03:42 PM
DrKeith
Driver

I believe it went on at 19 miles cruising range.
Normally I don't get that low but my wife was driving it and didn't fill it up.
Old 07-28-12, 09:22 AM
MY13GS350
Rookie

I let the indicator go to 0 miles range before refueling... I have even driven 40 to 50 miles past it saying 0 miles range and it still had a 1/2 gallon in the tank. The indicator on my car seems to come on at around 14.5 gallons used.

I know people say not to let it go that low but I have always done it and without any problems in any car I have ever had including my diesel truck. Thats what fuel filters are for and if you replace them regularly you always have a clean gas tank so it shouldn't ever be a problem.
Old 07-28-12, 11:23 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Mine comes on at 19 miles left. My 2008 I would drive three of four days after the light came on (didn't have a remaining indicator.)
Old 07-28-12, 02:58 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MY13GS350
I let the indicator go to 0 miles range before refueling... I have even driven 40 to 50 miles past it saying 0 miles range and it still had a 1/2 gallon in the tank. The indicator on my car seems to come on at around 14.5 gallons used.

I know people say not to let it go that low but I have always done it and without any problems in any car I have ever had including my diesel truck. Thats what fuel filters are for and if you replace them regularly you always have a clean gas tank so it shouldn't ever be a problem.
So the 2013 GS will let you know miles you can drive until gas tank is "emptied?" I haven't seen that function.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Light