GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Forged 1 wheels finally in

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 08:48 PM
Rsi950
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Winson6628
Oh nice, what paint did u use and where did u get it from? Im thinking about using that plastidip stuff, but Im afraid itll chip and end up scratching off, so want to have it done by an bodyshop so it wont chip as easily. But looks good tho, close to the concept car.
If u don't have a spray gun and a compressor, then you can use the Dupli color paint in a can. Autopart stores carry them. On the can it should say "acrylic enamel". " premium automotive formulation". Use semi gloss. Do NOT use high gloss unless u have a professional spray gun cause the cans can never be as smooth in its application. Semi gloss and satin will cover up any imperfections.
Also make sure u buy some good masking tape from 3m. It's worth the extra $$.. Hope it helps. Pm me if u need some help..
Old 08-13-12, 08:49 PM
Rsi950
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GtiB
Wrap the roof in black !!!
Amazing ride mate ! Congrats
I am thinking about it, great minds think alike.
Old 08-13-12, 10:56 PM
Winson6628
Driver

Originally Posted by Rsi950
If u don't have a spray gun and a compressor, then you can use the Dupli color paint in a can. Autopart stores carry them. On the can it should say "acrylic enamel". " premium automotive formulation". Use semi gloss. Do NOT use high gloss unless u have a professional spray gun cause the cans can never be as smooth in its application. Semi gloss and satin will cover up any imperfections.
Also make sure u buy some good masking tape from 3m. It's worth the extra $$.. Hope it helps. Pm me if u need some help..
Yea I definetly dont have an spray gun and compressor. Yea but can u really paint ur car with those can paints? Wouldnt it be better to take it to an bodyshop, even tho its gonna cost an butt load. lol. Also wouldnt i need to prime the surface first? Sorry, i just dont want to mess up my bumper. It would suck, I might give it an try tho, I will definetly PM u if I need help. Thanks for the info man.
Old 08-14-12, 09:59 PM
Rsi950
Driver School Candidate

Don't need to prime, 1500 grit first to sand down the clear, you will see the paint cause the color will b brighter then the surrounding paint. Then the most important part is to wipe it down with 100% pure alcohol. Then spray away once it dries. 3-4 coats max and 15 mins between sprays. The paint dries quick and make sure to wash the floor down so there is no dust. Just did my buddys zo6 that way and it came out perfect. red grand sport stripes on a lemans blue 07. It would have cost him 800$ at a paint shop, we did it for $40. People were freaking out when we told them we did it at the house in a garage with a spray can. Lol
trust me you can do it, it's not as hard as people make it out to be. The hardest part was taping the damn thing to get the perfect curve and also making sure both sides matched. Basically a mirror image. Now for that you need a keen eye and step back 10 feet and look, hell I had my girl give me a second opinion just to verify that both sides looked the same. It helps! And I can help you any way I can

Good luck..
Old 08-15-12, 08:32 AM
Winson6628
Driver

Originally Posted by Rsi950
Don't need to prime, 1500 grit first to sand down the clear, you will see the paint cause the color will b brighter then the surrounding paint. Then the most important part is to wipe it down with 100% pure alcohol. Then spray away once it dries. 3-4 coats max and 15 mins between sprays. The paint dries quick and make sure to wash the floor down so there is no dust. Just did my buddys zo6 that way and it came out perfect. red grand sport stripes on a lemans blue 07. It would have cost him 800$ at a paint shop, we did it for $40. People were freaking out when we told them we did it at the house in a garage with a spray can. Lol
trust me you can do it, it's not as hard as people make it out to be. The hardest part was taping the damn thing to get the perfect curve and also making sure both sides matched. Basically a mirror image. Now for that you need a keen eye and step back 10 feet and look, hell I had my girl give me a second opinion just to verify that both sides looked the same. It helps! And I can help you any way I can

Good luck..
Ok I gotcha, had an feeling had to sand it first. Cuz of the clear coat. But wasn't it Alittle hard to sand with the sensors in the bumper? Do u have to sand the sensors too? Would that mess it up? I think I would b able to do it with my buddy, he has Alittle experience in painting cars. Yea I saw sum videos on YouTube about cleaning the area first with alcohol to get the residue off before painting. Damn, that's awesome, u guys saved $760 bucks. Wish u lived closer to north carolina lol. Then I'd pay for u to come help me lol. But I'll talk to my buddy and c if he'll help me out with this project. Thanks a lot RSI and sorry for jacking ur thread and talking about painting lol. But car looks good. U gonna get the JDM fogs from Nigel?