GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why did you chose the GS over its competitors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 07:23 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Why did you chose the GS over its competitors?

What made you pick the GS over the 535, e350, a6, etc

edit:

For me it was because of the reliability obviously. I only seriously considered the 535, chose the lexus because i wanted to stand out. I wasn't going to turn any heads in a 535, so many people have them that its become a every day average car. When people see a 535 its no different then seeing a prius. A lot of people have them and i can't enjoy a car that many people have. Glad i picked the GS tho, have 0 regrets. Theres so many little things to customize on this car, can't say the same for the bimmer.

Last edited by Infamous3; 10-25-13 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 07:33 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

1) Reliability 2) Performance 3) Styling 4) Value

I like the Germans but I can't see myself driving any of them for 10+ years like I do a Lexus
Old 10-25-13, 08:08 AM
FsportAlex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luxury and style mainly.
Old 10-25-13, 08:51 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
1) Reliability 2) Performance 3) Styling 4) Value

I like the Germans but I can't see myself driving any of them for 10+ years like I do a Lexus
+1. I was close on switching back to a 14 E350 but after two extended test drives, I decided to stick with my GS.
Old 10-25-13, 10:39 AM
ayoddOny
Rookie

For me goes in this order.
1) Styling of INTERIOR- This car in my personal opinion has the best looking / feeling interior of its competitors.
2) Budget (535 ix full option M-sport pckg is what I wanted but asking for almost 10k more which I could not afford)
3) Styling, after the 535 this is the 2nd most beautiful looking car from its competitors (opinion).
4) Reliability (but it was 50/50 on this because I am not keeping this car, it's a lease but you never know what happens in life, if I am not stable financially I might have to buy it off. So I thought LEXUS would be great).

I know its a big jump but I was looking at IS-350 F-SPORT before I purchased the GS350 F-SPORT. I went to a different dealer and said if i pay 4k more, he will give me the GS F-SPORT and without any hesitation i signed the papers... Who wouldn't jump from a entry level luxury to a mid level luxury for just 4k more...
IS is nice, feels a little more agile than the GS (even tho it isn't by much) suspension felt a little firmer. However, if you are to compare the interiors of both vehicles(my main concern in a vehicle is interior), you can tell it is an entry level luxury vs mid class luxury. The two have very different feel in the interior. In the IS, it feels sort of cheap? While GS feels very luxurious.

After owning a GS350 F-SPORT for almost 3 MONTHS, I am more leaning towards the LS F-SPORT upgrade after my lease is up. I was thinking to go BMW before but... lexus... they goin INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN love this baby.
Old 10-25-13, 02:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Styling (exterior and interior)
Performance (handling)
Uniqueness
Old 10-25-13, 03:56 PM
JT51
Driver

1. The Infiniti was number one on my list, they had a promotion which they didn't honor, $50 credit card, Lexus also had a promotion that was similar no problem getting it.
2. Audi dealership moved to nearly hour drive from my house, when they were 15 minutes, Lexus is 7 minute drive.
3. Porsche Panamera, out of my price range, but being given one as a loaner when my Cayman was in the shop, made me consider a larger four door sedan, when I test drove the GS I compared it to the Porsche.
4.Never considered BMW or Merc.
Old 10-25-13, 08:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Interior and exterior styling and quality
2. Fun-to-drive factor
3. Reliability
4. Usability with large trunk and plenty of seating for 4
5. Relative rarity
6. Great Mark Levinson sound system
7. Outstanding Lexus customer service

Didn't even consider the Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes or Audi. I was just waiting for Lexus to introduce an attractive, great-driving car. They hit the nail on the head.
16 months, 12k miles and no regrets!
Old 10-25-13, 09:28 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

1. Reliability
2. Size (upgraded from an 08 IS)
3. Styling and looks
4. Technology
5. Comfort

this is my 3rd lexus and i absolutely love how they drive and they are by far imo the best in its class
Old 10-26-13, 06:35 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Reliability
2. Dependability
3. Quality
4. Performance
4. Value
5. Interior
6. Nav System
7. Reputation
8. No runflat tires (ala BMW)
9, No Stop/Start system (ala BMW)
10, No constant upgrading of software to fix problems. (ala BMW)
11. No turbo problems (ala BMW)

Just to name a few.................
Old 10-26-13, 07:32 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Reliability - top notch history. Proven track record.
Driving comfort - very comfortable seats. Almost too much comfort...could fall asleep while driving.
Smooth drive - felt better than BMW, Infinity etc.
Body style - I liked the look much more than the others.
Customer service.
Old 10-26-13, 08:29 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

What got me in the door was MB service being shady and a smoke and mirrors tactic. Then the customer service was better with Lexus. What further lured me to the deal was vehicle design (outside and in), the F sport package differentiating itself from the norm of Lexus which held my interest, and how the car was laid out and drove.

The thing to seal the deal was price, reliability, and peace of mind with the purchase.
Old 10-26-13, 03:54 PM
fraglerock
Rookie

Reliability, I have a bunch of friends who drive the various German offerings and they are all constantly having their vehicles serviced (the BMW owners have it the worst). Out of all the Lexus owners, only one had an issue on his 2009 IS250. His transmission was acting up and Lexus gave him a brand new one free of charge. He has had no issues since.
Old 10-27-13, 11:17 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

1) Packaging - the Japanese are masters of this inside and out; Lexus has packaged a stylish car with one of the smallest exterior dimensions in its class with a roomy and fantastic interior. Buy a box of biscuits or candy in Japan and be amazed at the ingenuity that went into the box they are packaged in.

2) Great road performance for the real world driver; the GS and 5 series had the best overall acceleration, braking, driving characteristics and suspension compliance, this compared to MB, Audi and Genesis.

3) We are are Toyota and Lexus guys; owned 2 first gen Camrys, 1 third gen Camry, an Av, Sienna and T100 all bulletproof and served us well; independent mechanics tell me Lexus is reliable and parts and service are reasonably priced.
Old 10-28-13, 12:53 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is just out today:

Lexus, Toyota top auto reliability survey

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/f704...0064afac5f1366

Quick Reply: Why did you chose the GS over its competitors?