GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driving Modes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 06:17 AM
TitanFan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Modes?

Is there any advantages to driving in any particular drive mode over another? I put it in Eco when I'm on a long trip cause of the gas mileage. Honestly it doesn't give that more in Eco verses my favorite mode sport +s. Please give advice. Thanks
Old 08-31-12, 08:55 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ECO mode IMO is a joke. i see no difference in fuel economy. the direct injector is where the fuel economy kicks in it doesn't drink as much , the port injector is a little more thirsty. so from what i understand (and i could be wrong) the direct inj. kicks in at high speeds,,, the port at lower speeds,,, so am i to understand that i have to drive fast to save fuel??? (just being silly) but from what i read that is the way it seems. WIKI encyclopedia,,, port VS. direct injection.
Old 08-31-12, 10:25 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

If I feel like driving smoothly I like the Eco mode's lazy throttle response. Unfortunately, the air conditioning doesn't function nearly as well in this mode so I've avoided using it for most of the summer. I haven't noticed any significant differences in fuel economy when switching between the modes. I use the Sport mode the least, since I typically see little benefit to the engine hanging on to higher RPMs, downshifting during braking, and shifting more harshly in day to day commuting.

I wish mode customizations were available with the GS 350. I'd like the Eco mode's throttle without the decreased air conditioning and power steering assist. I'd also like the Sport and Sport+ mode's throttle without the artificially heavy steering assist weighting.
Old 08-31-12, 02:44 PM
OH2013GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
ECO mode IMO is a joke. i see no difference in fuel economy. the direct injector is where the fuel economy kicks in it doesn't drink as much , the port injector is a little more thirsty. so from what i understand (and i could be wrong) the direct inj. kicks in at high speeds,,, the port at lower speeds,,, so am i to understand that i have to drive fast to save fuel??? (just being silly) but from what i read that is the way it seems. WIKI encyclopedia,,, port VS. direct injection.
I've gotta say that i have seen that happen. I don't drive too much highway, usual speeds are 60-65 and I average around 24mpg. But I remember the last time I did alot of highway driving I drove closer to 75mph and I got like 28mpg. I couldn't believe that. Then, today I punched it to pass a car and then I kept it at like 75ish and my avg mpg actually went UP. I wouldn't have understood that until what you just mentioned.
Old 08-31-12, 04:57 PM
Mojo122
Driver

I've been spending some time driving around in normal,sport,and sport + just to get a feel for the different modes. Haven't tried the ECO mode yet, but really haven't seen any appreciable change in gas mileage going from normal to sport +.
Old 08-31-12, 09:55 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,214 Likes on 633 Posts

I don't think there is a difference in cruising mileage in any of the modes. Eco mode will shift sooner, though, in city driving to increase mileage. I also read one of those engineer interviews that said Eco mode actually softens up the suspension a little bit.

Your highway mileage seems kind of low. On the freeway with steady cruising I break 30mpg easily.
Old 09-01-12, 06:35 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the slightly heavier steering feel I get in Sport Mode.
Old 09-02-12, 07:04 AM
Mojo122
Driver

Anyone shifting using the paddle shifters? What are your thoughts on this?
Old 09-02-12, 01:36 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo122
I asked my salesman the same question. He said most people use them for 30 minutes or so when they first buy the car, and then never touch them again. I tried mine out for about 30 minutes when my car was new, but can't remember the last time I used them.
Old 09-02-12, 02:47 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I asked my salesman the same question. He said most people use them for 30 minutes or so when they first buy the car, and then never touch them again. I tried mine out for about 30 minutes when my car was new, but can't remember the last time I used them.
The expense of implementing paddle shifters would have been better spent elsewhere like power trunk, etc.. In fact, I almost forgot they were there until I read this thread.
Old 09-02-12, 03:24 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
i use my PS mostly on the highway. i've been using them since i've had the car. hit highway,,, use the S+,,, shift to manual and i'm gone. i should get a vanity LP that reads "SEEYA". still learning the PS/manual driving,,, but i've got the hang of it.
Old 09-04-12, 05:59 AM
mrcheerio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a just a base model GS350 w/ premium package (12.5 nav etc.)

The Difference between ECO, Normal, Sport Mode to me is this...

ECO
When in ECO mode the car drives about the same as normal only thing i notice is that the AC doesnt blow has hard, I realized this when i lowered the AC to the lowest setting and the ac kicked on but i switch to normal and eco mode and the AC began blasting cold air. The heated and vented seats gradually turn tone down. Car shifts as normal

Normal
AC works as normal car shifts as normal

Sport
Car shifts more aggressively and if your in sport mode and have the car in D and your driving regular and just press the gas down a lil more the car down gears and stays in gear a lot longer than normal for a more sportier and responsive feel
Old 09-04-12, 06:05 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mojo122
I use them and the stick for downshifting a lot, but for accelerating, I use automatic mode.