GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Website complaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 04:57 PM
kssod
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Website complaint

Is there any reason why Lexus and many other manufacturers do not incorporate a real time inventory search feature? Ford and GM allow one to build a vehicle and then search for a match at local dealers. In addition, one can pull up an in stock vehicle's window sticker to see exactly the options and colors both exterior and interior. It would make shopping significantly easier if the buyer was able to narrow the choice down and then be aggressive on a specific vehicle.
Most Lexus dealer sites do not list the options or interior colors. I know the response is, that way the buyer needs to contact the dealer to discuss..... But, I would be much more likely to contact if I knew the vehicle in the color and options I want was on the lot.
Old 06-13-12, 05:24 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This has been discussed somewhere on this forum and someone mentioned that they found dealer stock somewhere on Lexus.com, but I've never seen it. Probably the best way to search is via a new car search on Autotrader.com. Remember, though, that some of those cars may be incoming or at sister dealerships of the listed store.
Old 06-13-12, 07:19 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I agree, the lack of a customer inventory search feature made shopping for a Lexus much harder than it should have been. To compensate for this deficiency, I drove to the local Lexus dealership and took pictures of each window sticker so I could browse its inventory of GS models. That part of the Lexus purchasing experience sure didn't seem "premium".
Old 06-13-12, 08:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a guess, but Lexus may feel that if they make their inventory available and you don't see what you want you might just move onto another car maker. If they do not make their inventory available you will have to go to a dealership, which will give them a better chance to sell you a car. That said, I believe each individual dealer's website has a live inventory search.
Old 06-13-12, 08:11 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I agree, the lack of a customer inventory search feature made shopping for a Lexus much harder than it should have been. To compensate for this deficiency, I drove to the local Lexus dealership and took pictures of each window sticker so I could browse its inventory of GS models. That part of the Lexus purchasing experience sure didn't seem "premium".
Originally Posted by dseag2
Just a guess, but Lexus may feel that if they make their inventory available and you don't see what you want you might just move onto another car maker. If they do not make their inventory available you will have to go to a dealership, which will give them a better chance to sell you a car. That said, I believe each individual dealer's website has a live inventory search.

i was going to say exactly what dseag2 said.

that and they want it to be more one to one interaction with the customer by them calling in, going to the dealership, etc.
Old 06-13-12, 08:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.cars.com/?KNC=LedAybBRDns...s.Com&pse=bing they are pretty good for real time car shopping.
Old 06-13-12, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by kssod
But, I would be much more likely to contact if I knew the vehicle in the color and options I want was on the lot.
You'd be much more likely to contact if you weren't 100% serious about buying in a short timeframe. If you're serious, you'll contact the dealer without the inventory.

This is the reason why that information isn't online. Every manufacturer will make this decision for themselves.

I simply contacted local dealers through the online avenues available to me on Lexus.com, edmunds.com, etc. I then told them precisely what I wanted in my email and they responded back with whether they had exactly what I wanted, had it coming, or had something similar.

I found, negotiated for, and and secured the car and deal I wanted on my Blackberry on the beach. Pretty easy.

In contrast, when we bought our Jeep you could search the inventory online and I found dealers harder to negotiate with because I had inquired about a specific car so they knew they had exactly what I wanted. With Lexus I could give them a range "truffle or grey" etc, and it kept the appearance that I was flexible for the right deal, even though I really wasn't.
Old 06-13-12, 09:58 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^ this is true.

im positive if you were certain you wanted to buy a 4GS , and you contacted the dealer, Lexus would help set up you right away and find you any color/combination you like!
Old 06-14-12, 11:32 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
My local Lexus dealership does not have an inventory search feature on their website.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
im positive if you were certain you wanted to buy a 4GS , and you contacted the dealer, Lexus would help set up you right away and find you any color/combination you like!
My local Lexus dealership was unwilling to source a car from another dealership and still honor the deal negotiated. In fact, my salesperson did not want to spend time searching through the inventory for me. This interaction led me to further pursue a deal on an Audi A6, a vehicle which I had previously written off. Shockingly, The experience at that dealership was even worse.

I'm sure customer service matters more in a state like California where there are 38 Lexus dealerships to choose from. In Pennsylvania there are only 9 Lexus dealerships. Most of the "premium" brands in my region have a "take it or leave it" attitude.
Old 06-14-12, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
My local Lexus dealership was unwilling to source a car from another dealership and still honor the deal negotiated. In fact, my salesperson did not want to spend time searching through the inventory for me.
I don't blame them. It costs them more to source a car from another dealer's inventory, they have to trade and they have to make it worth the other dealer's while to release the vehicle.

You'll never get as good a deal on a vehicle they have to source from another dealer as you will one on the dealer's lot.
Old 06-14-12, 01:54 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

There is no good source for inventory. In fact, it is my understanding that some dealers "hide" some cars from other dealers so they can't be swapped (HUD models, etc.) and thet cars won't appear when they do a search on their system.

Do I what did, take drives and examine the other dealer's lot and/or send out emails to dealers within 50-100 miles of your house.