lane change blinker

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 06:37 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Bump.

Just did this again on my 2016 GS350 F-Sport. Worked like a charm. For whatever reason the Carista app does not show this option for my car. (Android OS with OBD2 bluetooth dongle)
We don't have much data on the 2016 model yet, but we've found that GS models actually don't allow changing this setting electronically through the OBD port... and you may have to do it with the sequence of stalk presses, etc. Do you mind sending us "debug data" from your 2016 GS350, so we can investigate if this setting can be added? (and we'll also see about adding other settings as well). Instructions on sending debug data can be found in the last FAQ here: http://www.caristaapp.com/help/
Old 09-06-16, 12:41 PM
nickkaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you do it for 2016 GS 350 F-Sport? There is no "middle position" ("...down one position") for the wiper lever in 2016 model. Am I missing something here :-( ?
Old 09-07-16, 06:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

If you hold the wiper stalk all the way up, it will come down 1 spot, like it is supposed to. Make sure it is not already up 1 spot before starting the steps....should be in the middle.

@Carista I tried to do the debug report, but couldn't get the app to do anything once I found the "hidden" menu. I will try again at some other point.
Old 09-07-16, 06:53 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

If you hold the wiper stalk all the way up, it will come down 1 spot, like it is supposed to. Make sure it is not already up 1 spot before starting the steps....should be in the middle.

@Carista I tried to do the debug report, but couldn't get the app to do anything once I found the "hidden" menu. I will try again at some other point.
Thanks. Ok, once you open the debug menu, there should be an item called "Collect debug data" there. Your OBD adapter needs to be plugged in when you're doing this (and if it's a WiFi adapter, you must be connected to it). Please let us know if you're running into issues (when you find time to try it again).
Old 09-07-16, 07:05 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

No, it's not an issue of being connected, it's a bluetooth dongle. The issue is the app won't let me select the "Collect debug data". That menu managed to completely lock up my device, had to do a hard reset.
Old 09-07-16, 07:54 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

No, it's not an issue of being connected, it's a bluetooth dongle. The issue is the app won't let me select the "Collect debug data". That menu managed to completely lock up my device, had to do a hard reset.
Whoa! That definitely sounds unusual. Can you please email us at support@caristaapp.com about this because it needs to be investigated by the technical team. Things like this should never happen in Carista, regardless of what the user does, and even if we're talking about a debug menu that's not intended for regular use. Thanks.
Old 09-07-16, 07:40 PM
iWannaGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by aps41
How do you change the number of times the lane change blinker blinks. Default is 3. Manual says it can be changed to 5 or 7. Service dept. couldn't do it.
Question,
are you referring to the blinking left/right arrows in the dashboard or are you referring to the blinkers on the side view mirrors that can be changed? Because out of curiosity as I was driving today i counted the number of times the arrows in the dashboard blinks and they seem to blink forever until I had to correct it. That would be great to change that to a minimum as I am still trying to get use to tapping the turn signal in the opposite direction to get it to stop due to sensitivity of it.

Thanks
Old 09-08-16, 05:47 AM
nickkaz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, got it. My mistake was that I did not pull the wiper lever far enough up and stayed in the “middle” position thinking that this is as far as the lever can go. For some reason, there was a lot of resistance to move the lever to the high position from the middle one. I almost had a feeling that I’m going to break it!
Old 09-10-16, 08:34 AM
iWannaGS
Rookie

Got it! Thanks!
Old 10-01-16, 08:40 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile I was able to set to 7 Flashes

2GSKaizen - Thanks a million for the PDF's to set the number of blinks. I assume this feature is for lane changes in which I think the 7 blinks gives other drivers adequate warning. I've only had my 2014 GS 350 a few weeks. I just took it in to get the metal inside door trim pieces replaced (F-Sport). I requested that they change the blinks from 3 to 7. When I picked up the vehicle, they told me that "5" blinks is maximum so that was it. Doing research indicated the "7" blinks is an option. Your procedure worked perfectly. I had to do it 3 times because I didn't wait long enough between steps. Perfect document. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-16, 07:12 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
Just did this myself (5 blinks) and it took a few tries to get it right. The official procedure can be a little confusing to understand, and you have to do it pretty quickly as well. There is also a step they have listed in the middle that you can actually do before you start the time-critical portion, so it's easier if you do that first. I'm going to try to describe what I did in case it helps anyone:

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks
NVM! It took a couple of times to do this! Now it blinks at 7 for lane changing which is more appropriate. If you play any of Japanese games, that how they make the secret codes for certain games. so mustve been a Japanese tech person! LOL TIA

Last edited by Luffy808; 10-29-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-04-16, 01:52 PM
socialnet
Driver School Candidate

The simplified steps worked great , got it on the first try. I tried 7 blinks but seemed too long so setting it to 5.

Thanks
Old 11-05-16, 11:43 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socialnet
The simplified steps worked great , got it on the first try. I tried 7 blinks but seemed too long so setting it to 5.

Thanks
Yeah 5 is the sweet spot for sure.
Old 11-05-16, 12:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by teezee1000
Yeah 5 is the sweet spot for sure.
5 blinks is two blinks too many for me. The default of 3 is perfect - one or two blinks before making the move, and then a final blink or two during the move..and no blinks after the change is complete. If you are still blinking after the lane change is complete you are still signalling to those behind you that you are making yet another lane change, shift, turn or something. That's not good...and about as bad as following behind that [unaware] driver with his/her turn signal on and doesn't know it.

The last thing anyone should want is to still be blinking after you've already accomplished the lane change. A normal lane change should never take 5 blinks from initiation to finish. That is why default is set to 3. And, if you are in such heavy traffic that making a lane change does take a long time, then you are going to be using the full turning signal anyway...
Old 11-05-16, 12:27 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
5 blinks is two blinks too many for me. The default of 3 is perfect - one or two blinks before making the move, and then a final blink or two during the move..and no blinks after the change is complete. If you are still blinking after the lane change is complete you are still signalling to those behind you that you are making yet another lane change, shift, turn or something. That's not good...and about as bad as following behind that [unaware] driver with his/her turn signal on and doesn't know it.

The last thing anyone should want is to still be blinking after you've already accomplished the lane change. A normal lane change should never take 5 blinks from initiation to finish. That is why default is set to 3. And, if you are in such heavy traffic that making a lane change does take a long time, then you are going to be using the full turning signal anyway...
I never felt comfortable with the 3, either I was trying to make the change before it stop or clicking it again. I don't like to be cutoff and don't like to do it to the others. Also remember the lane change signal is to alert the drivers you are making the change not your permission to make the change. If you have to cross more than 2 lanes it also allows more time in case you have to change multiple lanes.

Quick Reply: lane change blinker