GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Enform

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 12:41 AM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Enform

Does anybody using Enform with an android phone have a way to kill the Enform app when it is not needed? It works well inside my GS but the icon and notifications that continue throughout the day when i am not in my car are annoying.

Appreciate any input.
Old 05-28-12, 04:58 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There isn't a way. I too find it annoying, and that's the main reason the App reviews are so low. There is an update coming (it's been moved back though) so hopefully that will be addressed.
Old 05-28-12, 08:55 AM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, you can use Titanium Backup to "freeze" (temporarily archive/disable/remove) the app while you're not using it, and restore it when you want it again. I do this if I'm away from my car on a trip for more than a couple days. It's awkward but effective.

The real answer will be an update to the Enform app though.
Old 05-29-12, 04:59 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Here are some common issues with Enform and solutions, based on my experience so far. I have had the car for about 6 weeks now, GS350 AWD, BSM, Luxury Package, CWP.

1. Pandora: Pandora Error on the screen. SOLUTION: This seems to be caused for a background service that runs under the Enform app, this service runs for XXX minutes after you disconnect the car and remembers the station you were on; that way if you turn the vehicle off and then back on, it will quickly resume the play. Sometimes this service gets stuck. A re-boot of the Android, will take care of this problem, and then Pandora will work.

2. Access to SMS / EMails is spotty at best. SOLUTION: The only solution I have found so far is turning the Bluetooth off / on on the phone and then re-connecting to the car. Not the most pleasant solution, but works. This one is a bit annoying, you would think they would get this one right.
Old 05-30-12, 05:33 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the "tasker" app on your android (amazing app - well worth the price in my opinion), you should be able to set up a rule to kill the app once you disconnect from the car bluetooth (or set up an appropriate trigger). You should also be able to set up a rule to start the app when you connect to the car's bluetooth.
Old 05-30-12, 08:12 AM
texasborn
Rookie

If you go into Settings/Applications/Running Services, you can manually kill it. Pain though.
Old 05-30-12, 10:49 AM
Liferules
Driver

IMO, not worth the hassle with such poor functionality. I've long deleted the app from my android.
Old 05-30-12, 11:37 AM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jj14
If you have the "tasker" app on your android (amazing app - well worth the price in my opinion), you should be able to set up a rule to kill the app once you disconnect from the car bluetooth (or set up an appropriate trigger). You should also be able to set up a rule to start the app when you connect to the car's bluetooth.
Tasker is a great app, I agree. Unfortunately, using it to kill the Enform app doesn't do much good. Enform still seems to run and put its icon in the notification tray, maybe because it is running as a "service" ?
Old 05-30-12, 01:20 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh, if it is running as a service, you are right - android 2.2+ will restart the service once it is killed. (if you are rooted, there may be a workaround by installing the locale execute plugin, and then creating a local plugin execute task) I have not tried it with enform, so can't verify (I found enform to not really add a whole lot of value, and just uninstalled it the same day as I installed it)
Old 06-02-12, 05:09 AM
DrKeith
Driver

The best solution I have so far is using tasked. When I leave the car (Bluetooth to my GS is off) then tasked opens a task manager that allows me to kill Enform with 1 tap. Faster than going to applications, etc.

I tried using a command line with tasked and a plugin but that didn't work.
Old 06-02-12, 05:10 AM
DrKeith
Driver

Originally Posted by DrKeith
The best solution I have so far is using tasked. When I leave the car (Bluetooth to my GS is off) then tasked opens a task manager that allows me to kill Enform with 1 tap. Faster than going to applications, etc.

I tried using a command line with tasked and a plugin but that didn't work.
Sorry, I meant 'Tasker' not 'tasked'