GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Vehicle Defects, Complaints, Etc..

Old 01-21-14, 02:07 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Lions81
The ES just isn't the same status symbol as the GS is.

Out of all of my complaints the three things I despise the most are - it doesn't grip the road enough, maybe the F Sport does it better but I didn't test drive either.

The wind noise that is so annoying, that's not supposed to happen with a luxury vehicle.

Sunglass holder - how do you not add a sun glass holder isnt that like interior 101. 1 steering wheel, 2 seats, 3 sun glass compartment lol
More quiet and better grip? What is it about the steering wheels and seats that you are not happy about? I think Luxury seats are some of the best seats I've sat in. The steering wheel feels great to me too. I drove ES and ES Hybrid many many miles. Can't think of anything from the ES that I would want in my GS. I'm really happy with this car like many here and actually having difficulty choosing a car to replace it when the time comes. My only disappointment was the F Spring wasn't introduced along with the 2014 model. I always want the car about an inch lower. Little thing here and there don't bother me.
Old 01-21-14, 02:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The ES just isn't the same status symbol as the GS is.

Out of all of my complaints the three things I despise the most are - it doesn't grip the road enough, maybe the F Sport does it better but I didn't test drive either.

The wind noise that is so annoying, that's not supposed to happen with a luxury vehicle.

Sunglass holder - how do you not add a sun glass holder isnt that like interior 101. 1 steering wheel, 2 seats, 3 sun glass compartment lol
I'm fine with the handling in Sport and Sport+.I'm mostly in regular mode.
I've read of some having a wind noise issue.Along with others here,I don't.Some say the cold weather pkg double pane side windows help.
I do have tire noise on certain surfaces coming from the Dunlops.I may go with a set of Michelin MXM4 which are quiet.
The seats have 18 way adjustments and are fantastic.Best seating I've ever sat in.Can't see how you couldn't find a adjustment that works for you.With so many adjustments it takes awhile to find the sweet spot settings.I have a setting for regular drives and long distance.The last setting is the wife.
I agree on the lack of a overhead sunglass holder.
Old 01-21-14, 04:12 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Trunk

There is now an after factory installation to power the trunk in our 2013. The wiring is set already. The kit from Lexus is about $700 and does not include labor. Labor is for two or three hours. The kit must be ordered with payment first.
Old 01-21-14, 04:12 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm fine with the handling in Sport and Sport+.I'm mostly in regular mode.
I've read of some having a wind noise issue.Along with others here,I don't.Some say the cold weather pkg double pane side windows help.
I do have tire noise on certain surfaces coming from the Dunlops.I may go with a set of Michelin MXM4 which are quiet.
The seats have 18 way adjustments and are fantastic.Best seating I've ever sat in.Can't see how you couldn't find a adjustment that works for you.With so many adjustments it takes awhile to find the sweet spot settings.I have a setting for regular drives and long distance.The last setting is the wife.
I agree on the lack of a overhead sunglass holder.
Oh the seating is fine ---
By the grip I mean how the car holds the road, it's hard to explain - I came out of a 2012 infiniti G37xS - doubt i would ever go back to infiniti to many issues to over look - but the way the infiniti grabs the road is as though the the tires have claws and dig into the road - where the GS feels more like your floating on a cloud.
And I have the Cold Winter Package doesnt help with the wind noise.

And for a previous post asking why I didnt get an E350 or 5seriers - I despise BMW's and the majority of BMW of drivers. My 3 choices were Lexus GS, Infiniti Q50, Acura RLX.
I love everything about the RLX but it did not come in AWD and I'm sorry P-AWS is not the same + and honestly Acura and Lexus arent even on the same level - and the infiniti is a gas guzler their posted mpg is bs. I truly love everything about the GS aside from aforementioned one of the best cars I have had and so far.

Right now all my tires are on 33 but I will bring it down to 31 try your opinion.
And do you have any information on how to / what exact thing I have to switch from 3GS to 4GS to lower the engine noise.
And a few folks posted about removing some window film to get rid of the wind noise - can anyone show a photo of this film or how its done thanks all
Old 01-21-14, 04:21 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Oh the seating is fine ---
By the grip I mean how the car holds the road, it's hard to explain - I came out of a 2012 infiniti G37xS - doubt i would ever go back to infiniti to many issues to over look - but the way the infiniti grabs the road is as though the the tires have claws and dig into the road - where the GS feels more like your floating on a cloud.

And for a previous post asking why I didnt get an E350 or 5seriers - I despise BMW's and the majority of BMW of drivers. My 3 choices were Lexus GS, Infiniti Q50, Acura RLX.
I love everything about the RLX but it did not come in AWD and I'm sorry P-AWS is not the same + and honestly Acura and Lexus arent even on the same level - and the infiniti is a gas guzler their posted mpg is bs. I truly love everything about the GS aside from aforementioned one of the best cars I have had and so far.

Right now all my tires are on 33 but I will bring it down to 31 try your opinion.
And do you have any information on how to / what exact thing I have to switch from 3GS to 4GS to lower the engine noise.
And a few folks posted about removing some window film to get rid of the wind noise - can anyone show a photo of this film or how its done thanks all
I'm coming out of a '12 ES350 and the wind noise is virtually the same.

As far as the engine noise...
I assume you mean the engine noise when stepping on it a bit or more.
One solution would be to swap in the air-intake of the 3GS which doesn't have the sound-generator (and noise) of the 4GS intake.Same 3.5L.Or maybe go with a F-Sport or Joe Z intake pipe.

I have window tint and no wind issue.
Old 01-21-14, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

This is really the difference between sizes, the GS is a class larger than the G, its more of a tourer than the G which really compares to the IS.

Can you describe this wind noise? Honestly...80...90MPH I don't have any wind noise.

I think you'll like the result...

Its the intake tube, they'll be able to order it for you at your dealer. Once you get it see if they will install it or its very easy.

I think you're referencing the post about the owner who had a clear bra installed on their mirrors and it caused some noise. If you don't have a clear bra installed on your mirrors theres nothing there to cause noise.
Old 01-21-14, 04:36 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The wind noise sounds like a howling wind noise from the drivers door closer to the mirror area.
Your right it is deff the size I never thought of it that way, make's me feel much better.
Any idea how much the air intake would cost?
Old 01-21-14, 05:10 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The wind noise sounds like a howling wind noise from the drivers door closer to the mirror area.
Your right it is deff the size I never thought of it that way, make's me feel much better.
Any idea how much the air intake would cost?
The part off the '11 GS350 assuming it will work would be $89.11 with Club Lexus discount from Sewell.
You have to look under the hood or ask others here if you need any other pieces and if it will work.
I'm assuming it will.

17881 1788131090
HOSE, AIR CLEANER, NO.1 01 In Stock $146.08 $125.13 $89.11

Here's the '13 GS set up.

You can go with the F-Sport pipe.It's listed for the '13 GS.$166 with CL discount.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5385.html

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-21-14 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow...I have nothing at all like that.

I'd take it up with the dealer...
Old 01-21-14, 05:37 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
One thing I'm noticing as we have more 2014 owners coming in and posting the sorts of things we all posted when we got our 2014s...I've seen more than a couple 2014 owners that seem to have issues with ride and noise. That was something that was really never said back when we were all getting our 2013s. None of the many reviews posted and YouTube ride along reviews etc every mentioned issues with ride or noise.
Interesting observation. I also have no issue with ride or wind noise (2013).
Old 01-21-14, 06:55 PM
LexFather

Make sure the weatherstripping on the door is on properly. In rare cases the glue might not be good and the weatherstripping has moved allowing wind noise in.
Old 01-21-14, 08:00 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM
There is now an after factory installation to power the trunk in our 2013. The wiring is set already. The kit from Lexus is about $700 and does not include labor. Labor is for two or three hours. The kit must be ordered with payment first.
Hmmm, that's so weird. If the '13 4GS is already pre-wired for a power trunk, why didn't they include it? The newly released ES had it.
Old 01-21-14, 08:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no wind noise at all, and I've taken the car up to 90 mph. There is some road noise, but the Mark Levinson system more than compensates. I love the engine noise piped into the cabin when you put your foot in it. My F-Sport has all the grip I need to get into trouble. The sport seats are some of the most supportive and comfortable I've ever experienced. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

As another poster said, my only issue is that I will have soon owned the car for 2 years, I trade often, and there is no other car in its class that interests me.
Old 01-21-14, 10:37 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I have no wind noise at all, and I've taken the car up to 90 mph. There is some road noise, but the Mark Levinson system more than compensates. I love the engine noise piped into the cabin when you put your foot in it. My F-Sport has all the grip I need to get into trouble. The sport seats are some of the most supportive and comfortable I've ever experienced. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

As another poster said, my only issue is that I will have soon owned the car for 2 years, I trade often, and there is no other car in its class that interests me.
Have you test drove the CTS V Sport? I am not a fan of the styling inside or out but i am willing to go give it a test drive. You've taken your car up to 90mph in state with 85mph speed limits? You are bad Dseag!!
Old 01-22-14, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The CTS is a great drive (have not driven the V Sport) but the interior is a big step down from the GS IMHO.

The more I look at it the more I think I may just keep the GS (unless the 2016 refresh wows me) until an all new E Class is out to tempt me, or an all new A6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4GS Vehicle Defects, Complaints, Etc..