GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bumper Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 09:30 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bumper Plugs

Hey guys so I totally forgot to tell my guy at Lexus to not have them put on a front plate. I am so mad at myself for forgetting.

So now I obviously have two holes and also two deep scratches all the way through the paint from the front plate digging into the paint.

So I am wondering if anyone has a good site for me to find some color matched bumper plugs. I use to have them on my s2000 a long time ago but I forget where i got them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-12, 10:11 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here.....I posted a write up on the font license plate holes awhile back. I ended up ordering from http://www.bumperplugs.com/. They had matching Nebula Gray plugs. I am happy with them.
Old 05-21-12, 10:12 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

I'll post a few pics tonight.
Old 05-21-12, 12:33 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

I know I just bought a $60,000 car. But $32 bucks shipped for to little plugs seems ridiculous. Am I wrong for feeling that way?
Old 05-21-12, 01:52 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
I know I just bought a $60,000 car. But $32 bucks shipped for to little plugs seems ridiculous. Am I wrong for feeling that way?
I hear ya. Unfortunately, it is what it is. I am happy to have spent the $30 for the color matched plugs rather than $1000 for a complete bumper re-spray.
Old 05-21-12, 01:53 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

There might be some cheaper solutions out there. I was just happy to find plugs that matched my car perfectly.
Old 05-21-12, 02:02 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would buy some plastic clip from Lowe's and painted it match the color. On mine I just leave it black and push in the screw hole. Exact look like bumperplugs except you have to paint it yourself or leave it black.
Old 05-21-12, 02:09 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
Same here.....I posted a write up on the font license plate holes awhile back. I ended up ordering from http://www.bumperplugs.com/. They had matching Nebula Gray plugs. I am happy with them.
For the plugs to work did you have to drill the holes bigger? Or do they just pop right in?
Old 05-21-12, 02:17 PM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys so I totally forgot to tell my guy at Lexus to not have them put on a front plate. I am so mad at myself for forgetting.

So now I obviously have two holes and also two deep scratches all the way through the paint from the front plate digging into the paint.

Thanks in advance.
Atleast you only have the 2 factory holes...my stupid dealership drilled in holes to hold the damn plate bracket too! So I have 4 holes all together. It annoyed me at first but I have obsidian black so having a plate in front doesn't look too bad compared to other colors. Plus it's required in WA state as I've been pulled over 3 times in the past for not having it. Cars should not be required to have front plates!!!
Old 05-21-12, 03:06 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

For the plugs to work did you have to drill the holes bigger? Or do they just pop right in?
Not bigger, but I did need to use a drill bit to clean the poorly drilled holes from the dealer up.
Old 05-21-12, 03:37 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Ok, so i just pulled the trigger. I will take pics before and after when they come in. Thanks!
Old 05-21-12, 07:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my IS, the holes drilled in the bumper was the deciding factor between the one I got and another car on the lot. The other one had a few thousand less miles....but I couldn't get past the bumper holes

Dealerships should ask you always if you want the holes or not, IMO.

Glad you got the bumper plugs though, should work great!
Old 05-21-12, 11:35 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alex206
Atleast you only have the 2 factory holes...my stupid dealership drilled in holes to hold the damn plate bracket too! So I have 4 holes all together. It annoyed me at first but I have obsidian black so having a plate in front doesn't look too bad compared to other colors. Plus it's required in WA state as I've been pulled over 3 times in the past for not having it. Cars should not be required to have front plates!!!
Stupid Lexus dealers in Northwest. They drill all front bumper holes for new cars on their lot except the LF-A. Infiniti dealers wait for your choice.

In Southwest, Lexus dealers make you sign a paper to release their liability if you decide not to put the front plate/bracket. Other luxury car dealers do the same.
Old 05-22-12, 02:02 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Imagine going to pick up your LFA and the dealer drilled holes and mounted a plate bracket.

...........The horror
Old 05-22-12, 06:23 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, that sucks - I've been there! On a previous car of mine I forgot to mention to the dealer not to drill the holes, when the car arrived I saw the horrid front plate on it.

If you decide the plugs aren't worth it to you, and you don't want to have the entire bumper repainted, you can find an experienced detailer/reconditioner that will spot-repair the holes. I did this to mine, and they basically just filled the holes, primered them, and painted/blended into the bumper. It came out looking perfect and you couldn't tell. The price wasn't nearly as much as a whole bumper respray.

Quick Reply: Bumper Plugs