GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A/C always on Recirculate

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A/C always on Recirculate

Granted, it has been hot in Dallas (93 degrees yesterday), but my A/C never goes off Recirculate. It is set on Auto. Every other car I've had has started on Recirculate to cool the car off then has moved to a mix of fresh and recirculated air.

I can't find anything in the owner's manual about this, but it does indicate the climate control system will automatically go from Recirculate to the fresh/recirculated air mode on its own. I can drive for 30minutes when the car has cooled off and it still won't go out of recirculated mode. I have to click form Recirculate to Auto to Fresh to get it to move.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 05-06-12, 08:43 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

YEP. never seen it switch from outside air to recirculation. hope it's not an issue. or maybe we're missing something.
Old 05-06-12, 08:46 PM
Grafnburgz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth area. Mine is on Auto and changes between the modes, mostly stays on outside "fresh" air unless I"m behind somebody spewing exhaust in traffic. Hope it helps.
Old 05-06-12, 08:50 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grafnburgz
I live in Dallas/Fort Worth area. Mine is on Auto and changes between the modes, mostly stays on outside "fresh" air unless I"m behind somebody spewing exhaust in traffic. Hope it helps.
+1 I've actually seen it switch back and forth by itself when on Auto.
Old 05-06-12, 11:56 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

otay i get it now. the auto light in btwn. the recirc. and outside air must be lit.
Old 05-07-12, 01:31 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

On my LS it was adjustable. Don't have my GS yet but I assume it is also.
Old 05-07-12, 08:34 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Yes, it is adjustable, but I've never had a car that never switched from recirculating to fresh on its own when in Auto mode.
Old 05-07-12, 09:35 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, it is adjustable, but I've never had a car that never switched from recirculating to fresh on its own when in Auto mode.
Perhaps, the outside temp was too hot. In that case, it won't make sense to switch to outside. But I think you didn't set it right. You need to put it in auto. I don't mean the big AUTO button but the small auto between recir and ouside. Press the recir button twice and both recir and small auto should turn green. This also enables smog sensor.
Old 05-08-12, 06:39 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

I have the same issue with my 3GS.
After paying a little more attention to this and some reading on the manual, I found that the temperature you set can't be a couple degrees cooler than outside temperature. For example, if temp is set to 62 and outside is 65, it won't go to recirculate unless you hit the button. If the temp is set at 62 and it's 55, then it will remain on refresh.
I got so fed up with this and now I just hit the button every time I go in the car if it's on recycle. I don't think there's a way to make it stay on refresh. I feel stuffed up and warm when the vehicle is in recycle. And no, I don't want my AC to be on all the time. I like some breeze coming from the vent on a cool day without the wind noise on opened windows/moonroof.

Last edited by NickL; 05-08-12 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Mis-Read as a 3GS forum!
Old 05-08-12, 07:28 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

A/C pulls the moisture out of the air....probably why you're "stuffed up and warm".

A/C is ALWAYS on....regardless of temp outside.
Old 05-08-12, 07:44 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
A/C is ALWAYS on....regardless of temp outside.
The AC compressor can be turned off by going into the climate section of screen on the side display. Like NickL, "I like some breeze coming from the vent on a cool day without the wind noise on opened windows/moonroof.". With summer like temperatures already here in TX, I may not get the opportunity to do that for a few months now, but yes, that option does exist
Old 05-08-12, 08:00 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

no, I mean, MY A/C is always on. I know it can be turned off, I just refuse to do so. sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-08-12, 11:52 AM
kday
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue on my 370z
Old 05-08-12, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jedimaster
Perhaps, the outside temp was too hot. In that case, it won't make sense to switch to outside. But I think you didn't set it right. You need to put it in auto. I don't mean the big AUTO button but the small auto between recir and ouside. Press the recir button twice and both recir and small auto should turn green. This also enables smog sensor.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.
Old 05-08-12, 09:05 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

don't know how i did it,,,it just happened when i pushed the auto button. it came on and stayed on. the A/C was on 70. but it was on the outside air mode, when i looked again it was on the recirc mode, looked once more a few minutes later and it was back on outside air mode. told the wife and she didn't give a $#@%. oh well.

Quick Reply: A/C always on Recirculate