GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hood protective film

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 05:52 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood protective film

Morning all. Picking up my fully loaded 2013 GS on Tuesday (can't wait). Bought the protective film for the hood... but I'm having second thoughts and little time to tell the dealer whether or not to put it on. Didn't put it on my HS and regretted it after a pretty bad rock chip. Still, the thought of sticking plastic on the pristine body of my new GS bugs me! Have others done it? Looks ok? Thanks!
Old 04-28-12, 06:12 AM
lexesty72
Driver

I had the complete front end custom wrapped with clear bra (bumper, whole hood, headlights, both fenders, A pillar, mirrors, even the big "L" logo on the front grill when I had the car for about 15 miles. You can't even tell it's on the car since everything is tucked underneath the panel or behind the grill. It's better to have it wrapped professionally right away instead of seeing stars on the front end of your brand new car. I don't regret it.
Old 04-28-12, 06:19 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Thanks Lexesty72. Think you're right. Didn't do it last time around and then regretted it with the first chip.
Old 04-28-12, 08:41 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is a good investment and it really isnt noticeable unless you are looking for it. Just take care of it like your paint so it doesnt collect grime and turn yellow
Old 04-28-12, 09:20 AM
nyczyang27
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried to detail a car with clear bras? Can you clay, seal and wax over it? I'm thinking about getting the film installed but I'm worried that when i wax it, the parts of the car that has the protective film over it will look different than parts that are not.
Old 04-28-12, 10:47 AM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went over to the dealership yesterday and got a pamphlet of the clear film they offer at the dealer. They do it in-house for $699. It covers the front section of the hood, the mirrors and only some areas of the front bumper. The manager showed me a car that had it on and the line looks HORRIBLE. The film has an orange peel texture to it and really kills the effect of the beautiful paint. I'm wondering, are they ALL like that ?

I also asked if they would do the whole hood and they said NO.
Old 04-28-12, 11:09 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Got PSI
I went over to the dealership yesterday and got a pamphlet of the clear film they offer at the dealer. They do it in-house for $699. It covers the front section of the hood, the mirrors and only some areas of the front bumper. The manager showed me a car that had it on and the line looks HORRIBLE. The film has an orange peel texture to it and really kills the effect of the beautiful paint. I'm wondering, are they ALL like that ?

I also asked if they would do the whole hood and they said NO.
Find a shop that does it. They would do the entire hood.

They definitely dont all look like that. Mine is very clear. Not noticable.
Old 04-28-12, 12:26 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine done a week ago and it looks great. The kit I purchased (3M) covers the Hood, Finder, the whole Bumper, Windshield Pillars, mirrors, front end of the roof, rocker panels, and top of rear bumper. The dealership recommended a pro that does theirs. The job turned out very clean. Most places that does window tinting are experienced in installing the clear protective covers.
Old 04-28-12, 12:29 PM
mikli
Rookie

dont do it at the dealer. they call someone else in any ways
Old 04-28-12, 12:30 PM
mikli
Rookie

call around. the price varys and look at one of their work. there are a couple types of films. thick and thin
Old 05-24-12, 08:14 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i just got mine done yesterday, partial hood ,partial fender,full bumer,headlights,mirrors,door edges,door hadles,side skirts and upper rear bumper,and you just have to make sure its 3M,and dont have dealer do it , they are ripp offs, if anybody intrested in ca. let me know, i will hook u up.
Old 05-25-12, 12:47 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Has anyone tried to detail a car with clear bras? Can you clay, seal and wax over it? I'm thinking about getting the film installed but I'm worried that when i wax it, the parts of the car that has the protective film over it will look different than parts that are not.
To my knowledge you cannot clay and wax the 3M Clear Bra...it will scratch it. Just wash and use a Finishing Spray (like Zaino Z-8 Finale Spray Seal) and it will stay nice.
Old 05-25-12, 01:00 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can and should wax it. Claying is safe too (to remove dirt) - just don't polish it.
Old 05-25-12, 01:41 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

yep , don't polish it, just use spray wax and keep it clean.
Old 05-25-12, 09:47 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Get it, I regret not getting it on my obsidian RX.

Quick Reply: Hood protective film