GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Some new goodies came in from Autogeek today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 02:30 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you have a great selection of products! I haven't used Chemical Guys products, but have heard that those are amazing!

I stuck with the ONR (optimum's no-rinse) for the wash (will certainly use the hose if the car is dirtier than what I'd be comfortable using ONR for). I used Optimum's sealant as well (my 2nd choice was Blackfire Wet Diamond)

Good selection of cleaning supplies! When you pick the polish(s), do pick some detailing polishes (I expect that we'd be using those a lot more than the more aggressive ones) - of course, don't polish unless it is really needed
Old 05-07-12, 08:25 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mehran888
Bump!

Room4Tu: Any luck on the bird haze? I got another one - more haze. My neighbour had this spray on wax he was adament would fix it. We tried it, and he kind of rubbed some of the dirt in.. so more swirls. Then I tried to clay it.. and I added some swirls/scratches too (I don't understand how as the clay was brand new). ARRGH!

It's not noticeable to the average person, but I see it...

I'm going to clean, seal and wax my car this weekend. Then I'll just manage the car status quo (cleaning the car every time a bird poops on it, and hoping for no more haze). If I can eliminate that damage through the end of the year, and ensure my cleaning process isn't adding swirls, I'll polish the car next year.

Let me know if you got the haze out - and how.

M
To tell you the truth, I haven' t really had that much time to address the little hazy spot from the bird poop yet. I just sealed and waxed her and just going to continue doing so to protect the paint as much as possible until I get around to polishing that spot up later.

Saw your detailing supply list and that's quite an impressive list you've got there sir. Got my sidekick blaster last weekend and that thing is awesome. The water just beads and rolls off of the car when you use the blaster. I think you will like it alot. Good luck and let me know how everything goes after you've had a chance to use all your detailing goodies!

~Tu
Old 05-07-12, 09:45 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
To tell you the truth, I haven' t really had that much time to address the little hazy spot from the bird poop yet. I just sealed and waxed her and just going to continue doing so to protect the paint as much as possible until I get around to polishing that spot up later.

Saw your detailing supply list and that's quite an impressive list you've got there sir. Got my sidekick blaster last weekend and that thing is awesome. The water just beads and rolls off of the car when you use the blaster. I think you will like it alot. Good luck and let me know how everything goes after you've had a chance to use all your detailing goodies!

~Tu
If you need to do some spot polish, just take it to your local dealer. They will do it for free. I had some visible deep scratches here and there when I had my black 3GS. My local dealer polished them out for free. My service advisor says it is a complimentary service.
Old 05-07-12, 11:51 PM
mikli
Rookie

Nice job. More photos
Old 05-08-12, 07:14 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

jj14: I've heard a lot about the no-rinse stuff, but am sticking with what I'm familiar with for the time being. Maybe next year I'll try that stuff too. Thanks for the feedback on the stuff I got! I went a bit crazy, and if I add up how much I spent I think I'm over $600 (that includes the PC7424XP and some other general things I didn't post here). I'll let you all know how it goes this weekend. I'm going to wash and seal with the Blackfire (by hand) and then probably wax a week later. Or maybe even the next day (depending on how early a start I get on Mother's Day).

Room4Tu: I'm doing the same with the bird poop haze. Going to seal and wax the car.. enjoy it for the summer, repeat in the fall.. enjoy it for the winter ,and then see how she's looking next Spring.

jedimaster: Interesting and good to know. However, given that I was delivered a car with swirls, I'm not sure I'll trust the dealership. I'll definitely ask them for their advice, but I doubt I'll let them touch it. At least not yet.

jj14: Yeah, my plan was to pick up some detailing (and maybe slightly more aggressive) polishes early next year, and give it a go on my wife's car (she has a lot of scuffs and swirls) for practice. From there I'll move on to my car.

It's going to be a great year! Thanks all, and good luck with your endevaours too.
Old 05-08-12, 07:31 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this thread I picked up the Master Blaster Sidekick too. That thing is amazing! I use a shammy to dry the body of the car off, and then bust out the master blaster to completely dry the wheels and tires. I also use it to hit all the crevices on the car like the mirrors, front grill, tail lights, etc. Major time saver! No drips on the first drive after the wash too is nice :-)
Old 05-09-12, 10:48 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jedimaster
If you need to do some spot polish, just take it to your local dealer. They will do it for free. I had some visible deep scratches here and there when I had my black 3GS. My local dealer polished them out for free. My service advisor says it is a complimentary service.
they don't polish them out. they cover them up with the polish and after a couple of car washes they reappear. i was told this by a lexus service rep. they know how i am about my car and he said they cover the scratches. lexus will not pay for a professional detail, which is what you need to remove scratches. cost to much,,,, so they say. if you drop off your car for detail and they call you in three or four hours and tell you your car is done,,, then you didn't have those scratches removed,,, just covered.
Old 05-10-12, 12:39 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
they don't polish them out. they cover them up with the polish and after a couple of car washes they reappear. i was told this by a lexus service rep. they know how i am about my car and he said they cover the scratches. lexus will not pay for a professional detail, which is what you need to remove scratches. cost to much,,,, so they say. if you drop off your car for detail and they call you in three or four hours and tell you your car is done,,, then you didn't have those scratches removed,,, just covered.
I guess I am lucky to have my local dealer. They actually polished them out in front of me. So no, they didnt cover up with glaze for temporary. It was completely polished out. I"be been taking my car for service since day one, so may be they appreciate my relationship.
Old 05-10-12, 12:45 AM
jedimaster
Driver

I guess I am lucky to have my local dealer. They actually polished them out in front of me. So no, they didnt cover up with glaze for temporary. It was completely polished out. I"be been taking my car for service since day one, so may be they appreciate my relationship.
Also, keep in mind that we are talking about spot polish, not the full detail treatment.
Old 05-10-12, 07:57 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, keep in mind that we are talking about spot polish, not the full detail treatment.
i need to see your dealer because the two that i go to here in n.y. suck. it's strange that they would spot polish and leave the rest of the car. i do it myself now. i don't trust anybody.
Old 05-10-12, 01:41 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i need to see your dealer because the two that i go to here in n.y. suck. it's strange that they would spot polish and leave the rest of the car. i do it myself now. i don't trust anybody.
Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, CA. They only did spot polish because that's all I wanted them to do.
I never let them wash my old 3GS car even when they service my car. I don't trust people washing my black car. I wash my car thru touchless and follow up with instant detail spray when I get home. That's how I maintain my black car.
Old 05-10-12, 03:28 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, CA. They only did spot polish because that's all I wanted them to do.
I never let them wash my old 3GS car even when they service my car. I don't trust people washing my black car. I wash my car thru touchless and follow up with instant detail spray when I get home. That's how I maintain my black car.
Is your service advisor ... Ollie?
Old 05-10-12, 05:12 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by lexesty72
Is your service advisor ... Ollie?
Randall. Unfortunately, he left recently for a job at Toyota in Palo Alto. I will have to establish a new relationship with another service advisor.
Old 05-10-12, 07:52 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Randall. Unfortunately, he left recently for a job at Toyota in Palo Alto. I will have to establish a new relationship with another service advisor.
That's too bad...He was a cool advisor. I hope Ninos is still there...
Old 05-10-12, 08:19 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by lexesty72
That's too bad...He was a cool advisor. I hope Ninos is still there...
Ninos is still there. In fact, I spoke to him this afternoon. Very nice guy!

Quick Reply: Some new goodies came in from Autogeek today...