GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Some new goodies came in from Autogeek today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 03:28 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
gave your girl a shower today i see. she's as sexy as ever. BTW. be careful of putting anything on your water repellent front door glass driver and passenger,,,, glass cleaner and a glass towel is what i use on my front door glass. i don't put sealant or anything like that on it.
Thanks bro. Man, thanks for the reminder. I forgot about the water repellent front window. Anyways, I just put a really thin layer of AIO on it . I think and hopefully it will just wear off with time.
Old 04-28-12, 05:30 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Beautiful! Now you're making me regret not cleaning and waxing mine today. I may try to tomorrow, otherwise it'll be next weekend. My Red hasn't been cleaned since I bought it in early April...

On a related note, I ordered a bunch of things for my first end to end wash, wax, seal. Foam guards, grit guards, '53 Pete Wax, Honeydew wash, foam gun, the megablaster, and a number of different sealants. It's all sitting in CA right now and I'll be bringing it back on my next two trips down there (I'm in Canada and ship things to either my sister or cousin).

M
Old 04-28-12, 08:30 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mehran888
Beautiful! Now you're making me regret not cleaning and waxing mine today. I may try to tomorrow, otherwise it'll be next weekend. My Red hasn't been cleaned since I bought it in early April...

On a related note, I ordered a bunch of things for my first end to end wash, wax, seal. Foam guards, grit guards, '53 Pete Wax, Honeydew wash, foam gun, the megablaster, and a number of different sealants. It's all sitting in CA right now and I'll be bringing it back on my next two trips down there (I'm in Canada and ship things to either my sister or cousin).

M
Thanks M! I bet you can't wait to get your hands oh all those goodies huh? Lots of elbow grease but it's almost like a stress reliever for me. You will love the results especially when you put your own sweat and tears into it. Hey I thought about you today when I was washing and cleaning the car . There is a small spot near my clear bra where a small amount of bird sh%t was sitting I guess for a little too long and it made a hazy spot. I think I'm going to try and buff and polish it a little bit more later to see if I can get it out. Have you found a good solution yet? ~Tu
Old 04-29-12, 06:27 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Thanks M! I bet you can't wait to get your hands oh all those goodies huh? Lots of elbow grease but it's almost like a stress reliever for me. You will love the results especially when you put your own sweat and tears into it. Hey I thought about you today when I was washing and cleaning the car . There is a small spot near my clear bra where a small amount of bird sh%t was sitting I guess for a little too long and it made a hazy spot. I think I'm going to try and buff and polish it a little bit more later to see if I can get it out. Have you found a good solution yet? ~Tu
Sorry to hear about the hazy bird poop area. I didn't do anything to mine yet. Let me know if a small amount of polish works. Unfortunately I have slightly bigger issues now. In bright sunlight I've noticed swirls all over my car. So when I get a chance I'll really do up my car (wax, seal, etc) and take it to the dealership to see what they say.

My car was the "star" at my dealerships grand opening, and when I picked it up the service person said "You won't need to wax it for a while. We really worked hard to make that car look good and waxed it a couple of times". Now I'm thinking they did more damage than good.

We'll see where this goes...

Definitely let me know how it goes with the bird poop haze. I'm thinking that with my bird poop and swirls, I'm going to just clean/maintain my car and apply wax and sealant in May (when I get all my goodies). And then repeat right before the winter. Then see what shape I'm in after the winter. If the car looks like it's in similar shape (ie. the winter didn't do any damage), I might go for a full body polish. We'll see. I need to do more research.
Old 04-29-12, 05:47 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

in the showroom when dust accumulates on the car all they do is get a rag and wipe it down working the dust into the paint,,thus adding scratches and swirls. for the bird s$$t. i use go green waterless car wash. i spray the s$$t out of the s$$t, let it sit for a couple of minutes and gently wipe it with the plush microfiber towel. if swirls are all over the car, it's going to cost to get it out, lexus might not pay for it. what they will pay for is a detail from the place where they take the cars to get detailed, which will cost them $100.00 to $150.00, and all it's going to do is cover up most of the scratches and swirls,,, not remove them. i've learned that you will do a better job yourself removing the damage they did (not saying don't try to get them to correct it )because it is your investment, your baby, your car. it's not theirs which means they can care less which is """"""" up but hey all they care about is the units they sell.
Old 04-29-12, 06:45 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Hey sydtoosix:

I washed up the car today and the swirls I had seen before were hard to find near dusk. I'm going to look at it more carefully tomorrow when the sun is really out.

As for the bird poop - I am now carrying a watered down Dawn/water mix in my car to spray it down as soon as it happens and then let it soak with the microfiber. Once I get the honeydew stuff you recommended, I'll use that (as the Dawn takes off wax too).

I noticed a few more hazy areas on the car. Very small - but a few of them. And they're all from sap from a tree above my driveway. I really need to get our garage cleaned out fast!
Old 04-29-12, 07:55 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey sydtoosix:

I washed up the car today and the swirls I had seen before were hard to find near dusk. I'm going to look at it more carefully tomorrow when the sun is really out.

As for the bird poop - I am now carrying a watered down Dawn/water mix in my car to spray it down as soon as it happens and then let it soak with the microfiber. Once I get the honeydew stuff you recommended, I'll use that (as the Dawn takes off wax too).

I noticed a few more hazy areas on the car. Very small - but a few of them. And they're all from sap from a tree above my driveway. I really need to get our garage cleaned out fast!
wow.... you def need the garage for that red car. do you have an LED flashlight,,, the small ones you can put in your console? you can use that to find the swirls when there isn't enough lighting. even though i know you don't want to find them:egads
Old 05-07-12, 11:28 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Bump!

Room4Tu: Any luck on the bird haze? I got another one - more haze. My neighbour had this spray on wax he was adament would fix it. We tried it, and he kind of rubbed some of the dirt in.. so more swirls. Then I tried to clay it.. and I added some swirls/scratches too (I don't understand how as the clay was brand new). ARRGH!

It's not noticeable to the average person, but I see it...

I'm going to clean, seal and wax my car this weekend. Then I'll just manage the car status quo (cleaning the car every time a bird poops on it, and hoping for no more haze). If I can eliminate that damage through the end of the year, and ensure my cleaning process isn't adding swirls, I'll polish the car next year.

Let me know if you got the haze out - and how.

M
Old 05-07-12, 11:55 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then I tried to clay it.. and I added some swirls/scratches too (I don't understand how as the clay was brand new). ARRGH!
Sorry to hear that...
Try a finishing polish (after thoroughly washing that area) to try and remove the swirls (go with least aggressive first) - it should get rid of the swirls (and even the bird cr@p haze) fairly easily unless it is deep (or etched in).

Sorry for asking the obvious - you did use a clay lubricant when trying to clay it, right? (what grade of claybar did you use? There are different grades - varying aggressiveness)
Old 05-07-12, 12:03 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by jj14
Sorry to hear that...
Try a finishing polish (after thoroughly washing that area) to try and remove the swirls (go with least aggressive first) - it should get rid of the swirls (and even the bird cr@p haze) fairly easily unless it is deep (or etched in).

Sorry for asking the obvious - you did use a clay lubricant when trying to clay it, right? (what grade of claybar did you use? There are different grades - varying aggressiveness)
I'll try the polish - but going to wait until next year. First I need to get my orbital polisher first and practice on waxing.

For the clay, I got a Mother's detailing kit (clay, some towels, and showtime lubricant). I figured something like Mother's (non-professional, for the uneducated user who is swayed by marketing) would not be aggressive. I could be wrong.

I'm glad I did it though, because I was going to wash, clay, and seal (Blackfire Wet Diamond) and wax my car this weekend. Had I just started claying, I might have gotten through a large chunk of a panel before noticing the scratches.

Any suggestions on clay?

M
Old 05-07-12, 12:18 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mehran,

Be careful with the Dawn as that's exactly what I use to strip wax off of a car before I glaze and wax it. It's pretty aggressive stuff but sufficiently diluted, you'll probably be OK. As far as hazing goes, I was successful in getting a bird strike out of my driver's door and bad swirls out of my hood (on my dark blue 3GS) with a porter-cable buffer and wolfgang's swirl remover. Good luck!
Old 05-07-12, 12:33 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

I'll try the polish - but going to wait until next year. First I need to get my orbital polisher first and practice on waxing.

For the clay, I got a Mother's detailing kit (clay, some towels, and showtime lubricant). I figured something like Mother's (non-professional, for the uneducated user who is swayed by marketing) would not be aggressive. I could be wrong.

I'm glad I did it though, because I was going to wash, clay, and seal (Blackfire Wet Diamond) and wax my car this weekend. Had I just started claying, I might have gotten through a large chunk of a panel before noticing the scratches.

Any suggestions on clay?

M
The mother's detailing kit is a fairly good choice. As long as the surface of the car is clean, and the clay doesn't have any contaminants on the surface, and you are using a good amount of clay-lube, there really is no reason for swirls to be introduced. Just be sure you are gently sliding the flatened lubricated claybar on top of the paint surface (doesn't hurt to spray some of the lubricant on the paint surface too)

I hate to say this, but it is possible that the swirls were there on the car when you took delivery (some dealerships will cover up the swirls using a glaze that washes off after a couple of rains/washes) - and when you washed it, you just revealed the swirls that were masked by the glaze.

I'd second MichaelPea's suggestion on the Porter cable - that is among the best for "newbies" like us because it is unlikely for us to damage the paint using the PC.

(If you decide to use a polish, remember - least aggressive polish first - only if that doesn't work should you move to a more aggressive polish)
Old 05-07-12, 01:13 PM
mehran888
Advanced

The mother's detailing kit is a fairly good choice. As long as the surface of the car is clean, and the clay doesn't have any contaminants on the surface, and you are using a good amount of clay-lube, there really is no reason for swirls to be introduced. Just be sure you are gently sliding the flatened lubricated claybar on top of the paint surface (doesn't hurt to spray some of the lubricant on the paint surface too)

I hate to say this, but it is possible that the swirls were there on the car when you took delivery (some dealerships will cover up the swirls using a glaze that washes off after a couple of rains/washes) - and when you washed it, you just revealed the swirls that were masked by the glaze.

I'd second MichaelPea's suggestion on the Porter cable - that is among the best for "newbies" like us because it is unlikely for us to damage the paint using the PC.

(If you decide to use a polish, remember - least aggressive polish first - only if that doesn't work should you move to a more aggressive polish)
Thanks! Yeah, I think I had a number of swirls when I took delivery. Sucks. But the ones near the bird poop are caused by me. I'll do a thorough clean and clay this weekend, and seal. We'll see how long it takes me. Then I'll worry about waxing the week after.

I got the PC7424XP already - but shipped it to the wrong address, so I have to wait a month for someone to pick it up for me.
Old 05-07-12, 01:20 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks! Yeah, I think I had a number of swirls when I took delivery. Sucks. But the ones near the bird poop are caused by me. I'll do a thorough clean and clay this weekend, and seal. We'll see how long it takes me. Then I'll worry about waxing the week after.

I got the PC7424XP already - but shipped it to the wrong address, so I have to wait a month for someone to pick it up for me.
Waxing with the PC is a breeze
Good idea to let the sealant cure before putting on the wax (but remember to NOT wax without cleaning the dust/dirt off when the car gets dirty in the days between applying sealant and waxing)

If you don't mind me asking, what type of pads (and backing plate) did you pick with the PC? What wax do you plan to use?
Old 05-07-12, 01:54 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Waxing with the PC is a breeze
Good idea to let the sealant cure before putting on the wax (but remember to NOT wax without cleaning the dust/dirt off when the car gets dirty in the days between applying sealant and waxing)

If you don't mind me asking, what type of pads (and backing plate) did you pick with the PC? What wax do you plan to use?
No worries asking. I bought a bunch of stuff based on my research and mostly impulse purchasing.

Excuse the cut and paste. This isn't everything I bought, but a good chunk of it:

1 "Griot's Garage 10628 6" Red Waxing Pad"
Automotive; $12.99
1 "Chemical Guys GAP_619_16 Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish - 16 oz."
Automotive; $24.45
1 "Chemical Guys WAC_808_16 Hybrid V7 Optical Select-High Gloss Spray Sealant and Detailer - 16 oz."
Automotive; $16.95

SK1 HIGH SPEED PROFESSIONAL BLOWER-Metro SK-2 Air Force MEGA SPEED BLASTER SIDEKICK HIGH SPEED PROFESSIONAL BLOWER.
1 $68.45 $68.45
CWS_110_16 HoneyDew Snow Foam- It's Foam Party Time (16oz)
1 $9.94 $9.94
IAI_503 GRIT GUARD-CLEAN WATER IN YOUR BUCKET
2 $6.95 $13.90
WAC_118_16 JETseal109-Protection Beyond Need, Shine Beyond Reason. (16 oz.)
1 $38.95 $38.95
MIC_708_1 ULTINATE GLASS TOWEL-SOFT WEAVE WAFFLE WEAVE PREMIUM MICROFIBER w/SILK EDGES-CONSOURS BLUE (1 Towel)
3 $4.65 $13.95
WAC_300 Pete's 53'- Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax -Liquid Crystal Polymer White Carnauba Paste Wax(8oz)+ 2 FREE RED W/APS APPLICATORS
1 $37.00 $37.00
BUFLC_BP_DA_5 5" Inch Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate (125 MM) MOLDED URETHANE BACKING PLATE
1 $14.95 $14.95

All of this stuff I won't have this weekend (it's all in various places in the US with family - I'm in Canada).

The first set above is from Amazon, the second is from Chemical Guys

I have my Mother's Carnauba wax, and the Blackfire Wet Diamond - and some microfiber towels/applicators. That's it.

Feel free to provide recommendations for other stuff - or feedback if I got ripped off and point me in the right direction!

M

Quick Reply: Some new goodies came in from Autogeek today...