GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sneak peak of my new license plate frame and custom plates.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 07:40 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sneak peak of my new license plate frame and custom plates.

I searched around and and looked far and wide for an F-Sport license plate frame but could not find one that I liked for the price and quality that they were going for. I ended up ordering a blank black powder coated metal plate frame and an F-Sport emblem from Ebay and decided to make my own. I got this idea from another CL member from the IS forum. I think it looks OK. Not too crazy about the F-Sport emblem but I will ride around with it for a while and maybe change it up with something different if I end up not liking it. Everything came out a lot cheaper than what some of the plates were going for online. Overall, I think the black powder coat frame and black custom plates should go well with my Obsidian. Still waiting for my registration to transfer my custom plates over. I can't wait to get those dealer frames and paper plates off.

Old 04-21-12, 07:45 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice. send a pic pls, when you put it on the car. i'm trying to get a Starfire Pearl frame with the black embossed F-Sport badge. the car is star fire pearl so i think the license plate would look nice with the car.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-21-12 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-21-12, 07:47 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen black TX plates before. Are they new, or am I just out of the loop on TX plates?
Old 04-21-12, 07:51 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M K S
I've never seen black TX plates before. Are they new, or am I just out of the loop on TX plates?
These are custom. You can get them in a lot of other colors now, even pink! The funds for custom plates here in TX goes towards and support our prison systems. Gives the prisoner something to do and keeps them busy
Old 04-21-12, 10:19 AM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty damn good! Nice work
Old 04-21-12, 12:18 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only for the back I presume?
Are you going without the front plates?
Old 04-21-12, 02:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Under current Texas law you are no longer required to display license plates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1098274.html

In practice this means you can display any custom format you want. I have seen some people in Texas displaying Euro style plates. They can ticket you for Not having proper plates, but there is no penalty.
Old 04-21-12, 02:40 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jj14
Only for the back I presume?
Are you going without the front plates?
Yep, this is for the back only. I'm leaving my front clean.
Old 04-21-12, 06:19 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Under current Texas law you are no longer required to display license plates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1098274.html

In practice this means you can display any custom format you want. I have seen some people in Texas displaying Euro style plates. They can ticket you for Not having proper plates, but there is no penalty.
technically, TX law still requires the front license plates
They just can't make you pay a fine for driving without it. So, it is a bark without a bite.
I so want to leave the front bare... but a little worried about them fixing the loophole (and me not reading about it)! lol!

I've got another few weeks with my temp tags... *Sigh*
Old 04-21-12, 07:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy in Texas who has no front plate, and his Texas plate custom printed in this plate style on the back. He still has not been pulled over.

Old 04-21-12, 08:09 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

I ran this euro plate on the front of my TT until the day I traded her in for the GS which was 7+ years in Texas with no problems. Even got pulled over a couple of times during those years. That was before and after the loop hole.

Old 04-21-12, 08:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
I ran this euro plate on the front of my TT until the day I traded her in for the GS which was 7+ years in Texas with no problems. Even got pulled over a couple of times during those years. That was before and after the loop hole.
When I moved to Dallas 6 years ago, I was stopped for speeding (still decompressing from my years in South Florida) and I was also cited for having no front license plate and a rear license plate that, according to the officer, was "partially covered" by of all things... a Sewell Infiniti plate frame.

They can't stop you simply for not having a front license plate, but if they stop you for something else they will add in the citation.
Old 04-21-12, 08:42 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
When I moved to Dallas 6 years ago, I was stopped for speeding (still decompressing from my years in South Florida) and I was also cited for having no front license plate and a rear license plate that, according to the officer, was "partially covered" by of all things... a Sewell Infiniti plate frame.

They can't stop you simply for not having a front license plate, but if they stop you for something else they will add in the citation.
I'd rather take a chance and pay the fine if they do give me a citation then put an ugly U.S. front plate on and ruin the beautiful front end of any of my cars. But that's just me.
Old 04-22-12, 07:16 AM
Liferules
Driver

I'd rather take a chance and pay the fine if they do give me a citation then put an ugly U.S. front plate on and ruin the beautiful front end of any of my cars. But that's just me.
Ditto. The front is just too sharp to taint with a license plate.
Old 04-22-12, 07:47 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

These are custom. You can get them in a lot of other colors now, even pink! The funds for custom plates here in TX goes towards and support our prison systems. Gives the prisoner something to do and keeps them busy
Interesting, I like the black plates a lot! I agree with you on taking your chances and leaving the front plate off. Does your new GS have holes predrilled for the plate?

Quick Reply: Sneak peak of my new license plate frame and custom plates.