GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F Sport vs Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 01:13 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinm123
I don’t really feel much of a difference between sport and sport+ mode on my 2013 Lexus GS 350 Luxury package.

In sport+ the suspension MIGHT be slightly firmer. I don’t notice any changes in the steering feel.

My 2006 E90 BMW 325 with sports package corners MUCH better. But at the same time, the BMW is a smaller car and it wouldn't be fair to compare the two.

Overall I’m happy with the Lexus, but I wish I could tell the difference between sport and sport+.
Then i am stumped... Why didn't you get the F-sport!?? It seems as if u didn't make a wise or educated choice. Thats your problem. The F-sport in Sport + out handles my 2011 BMW 5.
Old 03-16-15, 01:20 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Then i am stumped... Why didn't you get the F-sport!?? It seems as if u didn't make a wise or educated choice. Thats your problem. The F-sport in Sport + out handles my 2011 BMW 5.
I wanted the wood trim. The 18 ways adjustable seat is also a plus. Honestly, I don’t mind giving up some handling for those 2 options.

But I’m still surprised to not feel too much difference between sport and sport+ settings.

Last edited by kevinm123; 03-16-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 01:27 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I wanted the wood trim. The 18 ways adjustable seat is also a plus. Honestly, I don’t mind giving up some handling for those 2 options.

ut I’m still surprised to not feel too much difference between sport and sport+ settings.
Hmm, because on my F-sport I feel a 40% stiffer ride and heavier steering feel with decrease body roll that makes this car super tight in the turns compared to my 5 (due to programming of the f-sport suspension to be more aggressive then the Luxury tuning). The ride is awesome and the seats are so comfy with the lumbar and thigh support and side bolsters that I felt it was better then the 18 way in the Luxury, Heck they are 16 way seats which is fantastic. Sorry you didn't feel the need for the F-Sport, it may make you so happy.
Old 03-16-15, 01:45 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

40% difference is a lot...

Could something be wrong with my car or it’s the same with all luxury models (not much difference between sport and sport+)?
Old 03-16-15, 01:48 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

40% difference is a lot...

Could something be wrong with my car or it’s the same with all luxury models (not much difference between sport and sport+)?
It was intentionally done by Lexus to program the Luxury suspension to be smoother and with the sport + to have less change in the stiffness then the F-sport. The F-sport has stiffer shocks as well and has programming for more stiffer steering.
Old 03-16-15, 02:00 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was intentionally done by Lexus to program the Luxury suspension to be smoother and with the sport + to have less change in the stiffness then the F-sport. The F-sport has stiffer shocks as well and has programming for more stiffer steering.
I do notice a pretty good change in the GS F Sport between Sport and Sport+. Steering does get much stiffer and the suspension seems to defy gravity in high speed turns and exhibits zero roll. In highway cruising you might not notice a major change but throw it through some winding back roads and you'll know right away.

I know the IS F Sport also stiffens up the frame with some extra bracing/welding. I never really came across any write up confirming the GS F Sport had this going for it as well prior to deciding to go with the GS F Sport but perhaps it does have a little extra "beefing up" of the frame to make the Sport+ setting that much more exciting.
Old 03-16-15, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

seats are so comfy with the lumbar and thigh support and side bolsters that I felt it was better then the 18 way in the Luxury.
Gotta throw a challenge flag on this one. The Luxury seats are the same as the seats in the F-Sport, they just have an articulating backrest and butterfly adjustable headrests. Less adjustments are not better than more adjustments.
Old 03-16-15, 03:52 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Gotta throw a challenge flag on this one. The Luxury seats are the same as the seats in the F-Sport, they just have an articulating backrest and butterfly adjustable headrests. Less adjustments are not better than more adjustments.
I co-sign this statement..
Old 03-16-15, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The other difference being the semi-aniline leather in the luxury.
Old 03-16-15, 04:07 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The other difference being the semi-aniline leather in the luxury.
That was another incentive that made me buy the Luxury instead of the F Sport.

Another thing is the adaptive headlights. Initially I didn’t care much about it. But now I like it and think it’s much better than the adaptive headlights I have on my BMW. On the Lexus you can actually see the light turn with your steering wheel (not so much on my BMW that also has this option).
Old 03-17-15, 06:02 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
I co-sign this statement..
+1. Got to stand up for the luxury gangs all the claiming about f sport outperforms luxury makes me wonder how a difference it would be if we changed the brake and wheels. I bet it wont be that noticable.
Old 03-17-15, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

frankly, in most cases? it's more about the drivers than those larger brakes and wheels. let's just say me in my premium i have put some f sport to shame
Old 03-18-15, 05:09 AM
Dupe
Driver School Candidate

Just thought of hitch hiking onto this thread.

What about the brakes? Ever thought of replacing the luxury front brakes with the f sports? You get 4 pistons and 2 piece rotors

Or it cant be done?

Last edited by Dupe; 03-18-15 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dupe
Just thought of hitch hiking onto this thread.

What about the brakes? Every thought of replacing the luxury front brakes with the f sports? You get 4 pistons and 2 piece rotors

Or it cant be done?
i believe the calipers are the same just larger 2 piece rotors? even the premium and luxury have 4 pot setup. the pads could be different through
Old 03-18-15, 07:46 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i believe the calipers are the same just larger 2 piece rotors? even the premium and luxury have 4 pot setup. the pads could be different through
Actually Premium and Luxury do not have 4 piston setups.

Standard comes with 2 piston calipers with 13.1 inch standard rotors. F Sport RWD comes with monoblock 4 piston calipers with 2 piece 14 inch rotors consisting of the lightweight aluminum hat that is fastened to the sliding section using an integrated pin for added airflow. Not many cars come with 2 piece rotors from the factory. Especially proper ones with aluminum hats.

Oh. And VGRS is nice too.

Quick Reply: F Sport vs Luxury