GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 06:53 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had noticed the dash rattle some mentioned. For me, it seemed to come from right above the screen. It appeared last week, coinciding with the 2-week mark and... sunny, hot weather. Up until then with my new car, I had colder, often cloudy weather. The sound was more like a tic on rough pavement or bumps.

After a scorching weekend, we were back to cool, rainy weather today. And guess what, I didn't hear the tic once. So, it appears that it's more like the sun heating up the materials through the windshield and making them more susceptible to movement? Regardless, barely noticeable even prior to today and so I will likely let it be. Thinking dismantling the dashboard would likely create more noise in the end.
Old 06-01-12, 07:26 PM
Grafnburgz
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle Fixed.

After a month and a half wait for the parts, a second trip the dealership.. FINALLY my left driver door rattle is gone. Now I can finally say the car is solid quiet.
Old 06-02-12, 04:54 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Originally Posted by Grafnburgz
After a month and a half wait for the parts, a second trip the dealership.. FINALLY my left driver door rattle is gone. Now I can finally say the car is solid quiet.
Happy for you. Where was the noise coming from exactly? The upper part of the door, i.e. around the window, or the lower part of it?

Asking because I've noticed a sound that either comes from the upper part of the door or the b pillar. Trying to diagnose it a bit more before going back to the dealer.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-12, 06:56 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
My driver side window got some rattle when go over the bump. I try hold/pushing the door panel but no luck.

I roll down the window just a little bit then the rattle gone completely.

Anyone have the same problem?

How do I isolate the rattle and fix it?
I have the exact same situation. I have tried everything (lots of spray silicone) and I seem to have made it worse. I am going to wait to take it to the dealer until they have fixed a few of these and know for sure what is causing the issue. BTW, I originally thought it was the B pillar area.
Old 06-02-12, 07:27 AM
Grafnburgz
Driver School Candidate

Mine sounded like it was coming from either the left driver door itself behind the panel lower in the door and/or the B-pillar by the seat belt assembly. I would only hear it on bumpy roads or running over the bumps on the lane markers (that's what I did to show the dealer repair tech people). I have the description written on the repair order they gave to me when I signed for the car.. See Below:

"3814 DOOR WINDOW SWITCH BEZEL 67099 AND 71199 T-1-62 T-2-14 . 3 PER PIECE 0.60 REMOVED AND REPLACED WINDOW SWITCH BEZEL WHICH WAS MAKING CONTACT WITH INSIDE OF DOOR PANEL AND SEAT BELT ADJUSTER WHICH WAS RATTLING INTERMITTENTLY. FPNS: 73024-33030-A1 and 74204-30100"

Hope that helps anyone else out there with the same problem.
Old 06-04-12, 10:13 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Mine sounded like it was coming from either the left driver door itself behind the panel lower in the door and/or the B-pillar by the seat belt assembly. I would only hear it on bumpy roads or running over the bumps on the lane markers (that's what I did to show the dealer repair tech people). I have the description written on the repair order they gave to me when I signed for the car.. See Below:

"3814 DOOR WINDOW SWITCH BEZEL 67099 AND 71199 T-1-62 T-2-14 . 3 PER PIECE 0.60 REMOVED AND REPLACED WINDOW SWITCH BEZEL WHICH WAS MAKING CONTACT WITH INSIDE OF DOOR PANEL AND SEAT BELT ADJUSTER WHICH WAS RATTLING INTERMITTENTLY. FPNS: 73024-33030-A1 and 74204-30100"

Hope that helps anyone else out there with the same problem.
Thanks. Your description sounds exactly like what I notice. Got an appointment at my dealer tomorrow to test drive it with a tech. Hopefully that'll be it and have parts on standby!
Old 06-04-12, 01:36 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My F-Sport is quiet as a tomb, but I have only had it for five days, and I was out of town, driving a rented Nissan for three of them. My Lexus dealer is supposed to have one technician who specializes in finding and correcting mysterious rattles and squeaks.
Old 06-04-12, 02:22 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesaleo
If it rattles, then turn the music up louder...... Thats the best solution for a quick fix until you get to where you're going. For crying out loud, its a Lexus not a Bentley/Rolls Royce
My problem is when I do that, my door rattles! When I put my knee on it, it will go away.
Old 06-04-12, 05:17 PM
CraigerL4
Driver School Candidate

Just the smartkey fob. Really annoying. Gotta figure out how to tape it or something.

Old 06-09-12, 05:28 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Ok so I had my car serviced for the bottom left door and the near nav screen dash rattles. Picked it up last night after being out of town for 3 days so I didn't try it out that much. However, the rattles seemed gone. Contrary to others, no replacement part required. All the dealer said was that extra insulation was added in both places. I will test some more today and report back.
Old 06-09-12, 07:32 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Arg! Test drove it some more, and the left door noise is still totally there. Dash one seems gone though. Left them the car 4 days! I guess they should have replaced the parts like for you Grafnburgz. Will call them Monday I guess. Frustrating.
Old 06-09-12, 08:47 AM
Grafnburgz
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear it's back. I would take it back in.

I am beginning to think all cars have rattles, it is whether it is close enough for you to hear (or whether you are **** enough to notice.. I am). My other car is a Maxima, it had rattles 1 month in. I drove the newer Lexus loaner cars.. rattles too. I've had almost new rental cars from Enterprise... rattles there also. My previous Mercedes... Rattle in seatbelt. The Acura TL before that, rattle around speaker.

So... are there any rattle-free cars? I hope so.
Old 06-10-12, 07:44 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Hope that they fixed the majority of the problems/issues, but keep in mind that rattle season really wont officially start until the cold sets in.

Saw in Consumer Reports that the GS has one of the lowest long term satisfaction ratings among luxury car owners...this could be a major contributing factor.
Old 06-15-12, 04:41 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Sorry to hear it's back. I would take it back in.

I am beginning to think all cars have rattles, it is whether it is close enough for you to hear (or whether you are **** enough to notice.. I am). My other car is a Maxima, it had rattles 1 month in. I drove the newer Lexus loaner cars.. rattles too. I've had almost new rental cars from Enterprise... rattles there also. My previous Mercedes... Rattle in seatbelt. The Acura TL before that, rattle around speaker.

So... are there any rattle-free cars? I hope so.
I agree. Likely no rattle-free car. And true, must largely depend on where the noise source is relative to the driver.

Regardless, I've booked a follow up at my dealer's later in July. Will be busy and out of town over the next few weeks and I want to give them a chance to get more experience on fixing those noises.

Speaking of which, I've noticed that the sound that came from the left door can also be heard in roughly the same spot on the right side of the car. Really feels like a design flaw. Anyone noticed it on both sides as well?
Old 06-15-12, 06:41 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Just print out "Graf..."'s post and take that into your dealer. At least then they'll know what to look for/order.

Quick Reply: Rattles anyone?