GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 06:00 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cheesaleo
If it rattles, then turn the music up louder...... Thats the best solution for a quick fix until you get to where you're going. For crying out loud, its a Lexus not a Bentley/Rolls Royce
??? Are u serious?
Old 04-15-12, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it is a Japanese car, but it is nothing short of remarkable that Lexus has created such a solid, great-driving car with what seems to be no initial issues... especially for a first-year model.
Old 04-15-12, 07:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I know it is a Japanese car, but it is nothing short of remarkable that Lexus has created such a solid, great-driving car with what seems to be no initial issues... especially for a first-year model.
Toyota is very very good at listening complaints and fixing them... rattles were big complaint for all of their vehicles..
Old 04-16-12, 01:24 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

3GS had a few but the fixes were permanent, the most irritating part wass isolating where the problem is coming from.
Old 04-16-12, 01:41 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Passenger side seat belt bangs against the hard plastic interior...drives me nuts.
I bet, my Camry SE use to do it all the time before I got rid of it for my RX350
Old 04-16-12, 02:53 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
3GS had a few but the fixes were permanent, the most irritating part wass isolating where the problem is coming from.
'

I had the same problem in my 3GS and they had to work on the dash. It was corrected after several attempts but they came back several years later.
Old 04-25-12, 04:34 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a loud rattle at 1500 miles. It is in the drivers door up close to the dash.

Hopefully they can fix it and others don't start to pop up everywhere.
Old 04-25-12, 05:20 PM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
I have a loud rattle at 1500 miles. It is in the drivers door up close to the dash.

Hopefully they can fix it and others don't start to pop up everywhere.

I have one in the same area you are talking about. I think I have isolated it to a screw that I can feel below the hood opener. Next time you are driving and you hear the noise, feel below the hood opener and you will feel a screw head, press in that area and see if the noise goes away. I would describe the noise more like quickly putting together and pulling apart 2 sticky things than it is a rattle and it is persistent at any speed or road surface.

Tomorrow I'm going to look closer at it and see if I can either tighten the screw or pull the screw and put some thin double stick tape behind there and put the screw back.

At first I thought it was the door but I'm pretty sure it's that lower piece on the dash. Trouble with cars these days is they are designed to be so quiet that a noise you hear is often a reflected sound so it may not be where you think it is, thats why I just felt all over the place till putting my hand there made it go away.
Old 04-25-12, 05:41 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the response. I was actually doing the same feel and push test. I hadn't made it to that part yet. Let me know how it works. :-)
Old 04-26-12, 09:17 AM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Thanks for the response. I was actually doing the same feel and push test. I hadn't made it to that part yet. Let me know how it works. :-)
I started a new thread about my specific problem, maybe this will help you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-dash-fix.html
Old 04-29-12, 07:01 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently started hearing an occasional rattle in the roof area, possibly the sunroof shade, on certain areas of rough pavement. It seems to occur with a bit more frequency when the shade closed rather than open.
Old 05-12-12, 03:48 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grafnburgz
I have a rattle. Door panel, left side. Noticed it two days into it. Took it back to dealer, they held it for several days, and told me they have to order parts (a whole new door panel) from Japan that could take weeks. Only rattles when I hit bumps or on rough asphalt, otherwise quiet.
Same on mine. Driver door panel rattle only when I hit bumps.

Very disappointed. My GS is less enjoyable now. Don't want dealer mess with it, they will end up making more rattle & scratchs on the area they try to fix.
Old 05-12-12, 04:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I've only heard one slight rattle coming from the central console, and only once on one of the 4GS test cars.
This new 4GS is significantly stiffer than my old 3GS.

My old 3GS was very flexy flexy, and creaks and rattles particularly in the centre console, and somewhere behind the glovebox.
I suspect that creaks and rattles come from the car flexing from a lack of torsional rigidity and bending stiffness...
Old 05-12-12, 04:55 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you buy your Lexus new, then you should expect to get all the small details fixed including rattles as best as the Dealer can figure out. I believe it's written up somewhere in the 6month or 1year adjustment period thingy. Pursuit of Perfection and all that.

The people with the opposite attitudes are typically the newcomers to this forum who have bought their Lexus 2nd hand, or even already out of warranty. They are a different class of owners. I still visit 2gs forum, but it's clear the population who are active there are different than the generation that bought those cars new.
Old 05-12-12, 05:34 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

My rattles were in my dash in my 3rd gen and they had to take out the dash and it worked for a few years but it came back. I would hate to have it when I get my new GS

Quick Reply: Rattles anyone?